Another wild day in the woods

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still working the same large section of woods, yesterday moving to the southern end. Right away hit a foundation...but so burried in trash it was unhuntable. Folks decided to turn this one into a dump in 1960's and 70's. Did manage to pick up a couple of old returnable glass pop bottles and cigarette case with a moose lodge logo attached.

Had a long hard stretch of nothing as I moved farther in, battling mud and dense brush. I was getting ready to give up when I spotted a purple thong hanging from a branch on the next ridge. You KNOW I gotta go check it out.

First hit under the undies wasn't a pull tab or bottle cap as expected...but an old, old pot metal spoon. Just up the hill a bit from this was another foundation, old red brick. After a long morning of almost nothing to dig, the cool stuff just started pouring out of the ground.

Got a nice gold plated "Columbus Railway & light co" button...it's from the 20's or 30's...back when the electric company also ran a railroad. Military buttons and buckles...the weirdest buckle has a guy on horse back with an inscription in Japanese...possibly a soveigner from the war? Also a cool name plate, like from a mail box or something. Iron backed with a glass front...sezs "A. C. Ewing."

But oddly no money. ELEVEN cents in clad for the entire day.

Also discovered an abandoned road through the woods, it connects this foundation to somewhere...so I have hopes the road leads somewhere interesting.

Attachments

• w2.jpg
    w2.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 2,422
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 2,404
Upvote 0

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I happened to notice you have found four pairs of panties???!!!... what kind of woods are you hunting in.

Strange finds indeed, I think I would have left that sort of thing in the woods.
Heres to better finds next time.

fossis

Gold Member
Jan 5, 2007
eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 11 & White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your finds cover a wide assortment of items,
Strangely, a lot like i find!!! ;D

Fossis.................

silverswede

Dec 12, 2005
Pinehurst. Idaho
Detector(s) used
Minelab SOVEREIGN XS-2a PRO
Want to have some fun....Imagine that all these "items" were presented as evidence from the scene of a "crime" that happened on that Wild Day In The Woods.....Oofta.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting finds, thought you were joking about the thong, LOL! I like that button, very nice. I have found several of those gears here in Germany, WTF? HH, Mike

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The gears are clock works...usually from very common household alarm clocks.

Seems alot of clock parts at this site, found parts of 2, possibly 3 pocket watches, 2 wrist watch backs, and the larger clock work gears...who knows why.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jim it look's like you got a potentially killer site there....But I don't think you're the first one to hit it.Good thing you found that "shed",need something to pick up the thong....Button's awesome....Nice dig's!!!

deedeelou

Mar 10, 2007
ghostrider1775 said:
I noticed the new add to the list as Adult Entertainment Devices... Nicely put LMAO!!

Maybe the thongs should go in this category as a subcategory. LOL

T

TreasureTales

Very cool story. The button is a real keeper, congrats. The thong, on the other hand, is something I would not have touched with a 10 foot pole antler. Yuck!

If you were finding this stuff on a sidehill, how about going downhill and detecting for coins at the base of the elevation? Maybe they rolled or were washed downhill.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats not a thong thats a ski mask :D

twincapes

Jan 21, 2007
Northern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 w Pro performance coil, Garrett Pro-pointer
Can't wait to see the neat metal detecting display you put together to display in the local library! LOL ;)

DiggerBug

Oct 28, 2006
Bama
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's what I call and array of finds!

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whats the size of that their thong? Looks kinda big to me.......lolol Great job DJ.... Keep up the good work! Nice to see you back in the swing of things. HH ;D

littleton

Feb 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 5
WOW, thats a nice pantie find! One can only stop and try to imagine what used to be inside them. Did you find anything else?

OP
OP
diamondjim

diamondjim

Mar 10, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got a chance to dig the site again today, just so much stuff there.

1919 wheat
6 silver plate spoons, all different
fragment of a pocket watch
lip stick tubes, compacts
tons of misc copper junk

More and more this place is seeming like a small barn rather than a residence. The time line looks like dumping began around 1920, continues to about 1955. The number and variety of plumbing fixtures alone suggests dumping rather than use on site...far too much hardware for one small building.

It's unlikely that it's been hit before, just so much stuff in the ground...it's going to take me a couple of more trips to clean enough of it out to be sure if there are coins there or not. One random wheat isn't very helpfull. But there is a larger question...barns don't operate alone...the road hopefully leads to a residence. Checked one end of it today, turns out to connect, more or less, to the previous site...with evidence of hunter's camp sites into the 1930's. As I progress along this line, things are getting older...1935 camping sites in the middle, 1920's dumping half way between there and the edge of the woods. It's like a progression over time, pressing farther in to no man's land. So, I'm hoping the next site discovery will be even older with a longer period of occupation.

This is exactly the sort of puzzle I hunt the woods for in the first place...try to connect the dots on all of these places. There is far, far more at work here than merely the fact I find twisted humor in stray undies in woods. How I knew to look here at all...well, that's the big secret ain't it?

And just why do I find so much odd stuff in the woods? Two reasons: these are urban woods. People tend naturally to like to sneak off to private places, surrounded by a whole city, there is a far greater density of people to sneak off into the woods in the first place. AND because I look for it...it makes me laugh.

Oh the panties DO seem a bit large and uh...well..."modified" to be worn by someone other than a girl. I do run into some trippy stuff out there some days...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread