old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, there is an outbreak of Blue Tongue virus in the Missoula Mt. area, and along the Yellowstone river in the Columbus Mt. area. The Blue Tongue virus is spread by the midge fly. Animals that are affected by this virus get a high fever and are constantly seeking water to combat their fever symptoms, That is also why they are always found dead near water. Blue Tongue virus is not contagious.

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I was archery hunting deer years ago. I had to hike up a steep hill of ice and snow to follow a ridge toward my camp. After finally getting to the top I was exhausted. As I was leaning against a fence post I watched a buck run to the fence farther up the ridge. He sniffed the ground, chortled and then started walking towards me. I was in shock. He'd walk a bit. Stop and look at me. Then kept coming towards me. I'm going nuts at this point. Do I shoot him? At this point I could pat his head. I figure I should make him flee and then if able shoot him. I figured he'd stop at a certain area. Well I spooked him. Thankfully he didn't attack me. My buck knife might not have helped me much. He ran where I thought he would, but he didn't stop. As much as I wanted deer meat. I was glad I didn't kill him. That experience was almost once in a lifetime. I've had other encounters with deer almost like that. They don't fear me. Lol.
It made me feel "special" in a weird way. Definitely another good memory.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....man...not sure what I was thinking......I know full well what Blue Tongue is(even mentioned it my first response!)watched it decimate the deer on The Milk river......sorry and thanks OD....

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT Explorer XS Tesoro Vaq t2se x705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I welcome your opinion. I am not sure if you are hinting that you care less for animals, (domesticated or wild), that are in state of being sick or hurt. But to be out and about and happen to find a animal that is naturally afraid of humans, and does not flee, a normal human reaction is compassion and to investigate and sort the mater out. As I stated before, this antelope at no time in my approach made any attempt to try to stand up and try to flee from me the ''mighty predator''.
There are a lot of animals that have that extra sense of what to fear and what not to fear. I still feel privileged to be not feared by an animal that would normally not allow a human get within two or three hundred yards from without fleeing.

I hope that sometime in the future you can understand and see the need to care for any sick animals that God has put here on this earth for us to coexist with.

Unafraid of you or in some kind of distress. How dare you, what care did you provide.

Last edited:

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very,very well said........

something folks dont understand too is that there are places in the back country(places like the BoB Marshall wilderness for example)where the animals dont react to people quite like other wild animals do....they dont see humans as a super predator (actually there,its so lousy with Grizz,the tables are turned)I am not saying its like some Disney movie but I have had Mt. Goats,and deer actually out of curiosity come to me....within feet of me...and for anybody else' info that may not know....Pronghorn antelope are one of the most curious animals in the wild....they will come from great distance's to cure there curiosity.I see what your saying and respect your opinion though...I would never recommend aproaching any animal your not familiar with.....especially a sick or injured one

Digger,I hear there is an epidemic of some kind of a gnat that goes up the nose of deer and suffocates them...?In Missoula...?Wonder if....?

If you are referring to me I've been in Montana hunting and fishing for 32 years. I've also had goats sheep and deer very close and also seen sick animals down and dying but never felt the need to pet them. You guys can reason this out how you please to me its just wrong.

dirtscratcher

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2009
Columbia falls Montana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I welcome your opinion. I am not sure if you are hinting that you care less for animals, (domesticated or wild), that are in state of being sick or hurt. But to be out and about and happen to find a animal that is naturally afraid of humans, and does not flee, a normal human reaction is compassion and to investigate and sort the mater out. As I stated before, this antelope at no time in my approach made any attempt to try to stand up and try to flee from me the ''mighty predator''.
There are a lot of animals that have that extra sense of what to fear and what not to fear. I still feel privileged to be not feared by an animal that would normally not allow a human get within two or three hundred yards from without fleeing.

I hope that sometime in the future you can understand and see the need to care for any sick animals that God has put here on this earth for us to coexist with.
Privileged to not be feared by a sick animal that can't even walk and by your own account dying? Wow and you question my concern for sick animals. Wow

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
''dirtscratcher'', I was not being offensive towards you in any way, so please do not attack me. I can understand that in your opinion that you would observe the animal and walk on, but I in my entitlement sought to encounter the animal and show some compassion.

Please drop the disagreement, and have a good evening.

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with both of you,unfortunately many of our laws dont leave room for common sense and many that are supposed to be in place for reasons of compassion actually are gross violations of such....these situations are prime examples...I cant list a few more that really chap my rear...I digress.Fact is if I would have done what I should have done....it was a fairly remote area and not a lot of people,so it would not have been hard to add two and two,and I not only would have a damaged reputation,and pocket book but would have lost my job and forever banished from the ring of affiliation of which I depend on.Still are darn tough call...right now people do not even realize it is un lawful to dispatch your own livestock/pet

It's been a few years, my ex-wife got the ranch and I got most of the bills. But if it's unlawful to dispatch your own live stock, how you gonna eat it. Every year I'd generally have a first calf heifer that didn't calve and was butter fat. It was automatic, she went in the freezer, and when she was put in there, she was dead.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's been a few years, my ex-wife got the ranch and I got most of the bills. But if it's unlawful to dispatch your own live stock, how you gonna eat it. Every year I'd generally have a first calf heifer that didn't calve and was butter fat. It was automatic, she went in the freezer, and when she was put in there, she was dead.

Sounds like you had some tender and delicious steaks. :thumbsup:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.....like a horse or even your own dog....not sayin it followed or makes one iota of sense

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
.....like a horse or even your own dog....not sayin it followed or makes one iota of sense

Well shucks, cuff me and stuff me, then beat out a confession. Last winter we had an old horse, lost her teeth, special feed wasn't helping, and she was dying of old age. I didn't like it, but I done the deed. Should have done it before I did, and I'm guilty of that also. You have an animal for years, it's tough to step up and do the right thing, but someone's got to do it, why should it be forced off onto someone else? The horse didn't know or feel a thing, done right it's just that quick, Hell I felt more than the horse. What would the vet have done differently except to get paid for nothing. But I heard of a guy that I think was in Texas, that took a pig to the mall, killed and butchered it in public, and was holding a BBQ when he was arrested for animal cruelty. Go figure. Times are crazy.

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Ace 250..garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a licensed wildlife rehabber, I would never approach a wild animal who could not flee of its own accord unless I could help it!

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 4

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a licensed wildlife rehabber, I would never approach a wild animal who could not flee of its own accord unless I could help it!

.....well good for you,and anything you do doesnt cause un-do stress or harm?

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No need to be sarcastic Kuger. .

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..I wasnt....honest question.news for you...not only folks like you care about animals....actually "our",type care more....definetly give more,than any body there is......I have devoted my entire life to the protection and management of wildlife

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a competition. ..and phrases like" folks like you" are uncalled for!

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a competition. ..and phrases like" folks like you" are uncalled for!

..then you dont judge....

squiggy

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2012
CA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I did not judge, I stated what I would and would not do...what someone else does is up to them..I will say though you make a lot of assumptions! !

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
I think I would have stopped and burned those gloves right away. Just as a precaution.

OP
OP
old digger

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just curious, If you did not approach the animal how would know if it was sick?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread