Antique 12 Gauge Shell Cap and Assorted Stuff.....

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had maybe 90 minutes to hunt after work including travel time, so I went to a nearby railroad track and hiked up to an old cave I've had on my list but haven't hunted yet. That left me just about an hour before dark.

It's a really hard, steep climb to get up there but I managed to scoot up quickly with all of my stuff. It was already getting pretty dark inside the cave.

I immediately began getting hits and the first target I dug was a 12 ga. shell cap. I thought was a coin at first. No big deal. However, when I got home and cleaned it up I found it was a "U.M.C. New Club" cap. These were manufactured between 1867-1911. Once I found this out my hunt instantly got a little better. The U.M.C company eventually merged with Remington. Supposedly at the time, this was a ground breaking smokeless shell.

Antique Shell Cap 12 Gauge Sep. 9, 2014 001.JPG
I guess if you have to find another shell cap, this is a good one to find.

In the time I had left I dug a 7 zinc penny pocket spill (not pictured because, why bother?? Zinc pennies are trash imo).

I found a few copper pennies ranging from 1962-75, a 1965 quarter, a very clean 1957 nickel that I'm assuming is a recent drop based on condition and a few assorted more modern coins not pictured.

I also found an unfired Winchester .38 Special round, another unreadable smaller caliber shell cap (possible .32?), a button of some sort in terrible shape (not even round anymore), a very flattened zinc penny that someone laid on the train tracks and probably never found when it flew off and two small pieces of mystery metal.

Antique Shell Cap 12 Gauge Sep. 9, 2014 002.JPG

That's about it. I want to go back to this spot when I have some more daylight. There may be something good hiding there just waiting to be brought back into the light.

I believe that this cave has been used by many people for a very long time. It's just really hard to hunt the steep hillsides but also extremely fun. You can easily lose your detector if you don't sit it down just right.

People go there these days to practice and hone their rock climbing skills. There's a nice cliff with about a 45 foot sheer drop. If you're not careful things can end very badly in a spot like this.

But it's a really cool and beautiful place. I used to camp there sometimes when I was a kid.

I've been using my "new" Radio Shack Land Star clone and I am SO impressed with it. I love this machine. I think I got my hands on a very well tuned one. It doesn't seem to miss a thing; especially where coins are concerned. I dug about 30 targets in under an hour, nothing really old but it was a very fast paced and productive hunt. The all metal mode hits pretty deep too.

I'm trying to focus on older locations for a while. I'm getting a bit bored with schools and parks at the moment so I'm gonna' mix it up a bit and see what happens.

Thanks for looking and HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting