billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We went to garage sales on Saturday and among things found was a corn Sheller ($10), a crank-style corn meal mill ($10), and a nice DeWalt 3/8" corded drill ($4), I found two .925 silver bracelets.... 2.22 total ozs on the jewelry scales. At both garage sales, the ladies said .50-cents on each bracelet was what they were selling for..... I didn't augue and paid them with pocket change.... :>)

http://dendritics.com/scales/metal-calc.asp

This site prices .925 silver by its weigh and calculates how much pure silver is there. The worth for both total $38.60.

You just never know what you'll find a garage/yard sale... :>)
Bill

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At another garage sale just last Saturday morning, I found a small teapot with "Sterling" and a Hallmark stamped on the bottom. By the broken bits and pieces left on each end, it once had an Ivory handle. The price sticker read: $2 ....... With the nonmetal handle gone and leaving only the metal teapot, it weighs 9.86 ozs.

If I keep collecting silver at these prices, what should I do to convert it
into dollars? Do you know what buyers usually pay for Sterling?

Thanks for your help,
Bill

Attachments

• Copy of P1000953.JPG
    Copy of P1000953.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 1,112
  • Copy of P1000953.JPG
    Copy of P1000953.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 861

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
As far as your silver question goes.. You'll want to weigh in TROY OUNCES not Reg Ounces..there is a big difference in weight .... Refineries weigh in Troy ounces... I haven't been to the website recently but midwest refineries was paying 90% or 95% of spot price for silver weight after smelting....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread