Any Advice For Powerlines?

If your detector has mutiple frequencys that can be switched too to help alleviate detectors talking to each other. Then try them to see if any help. If not. Then about all I know that you can do is go down onyour amp setting, and if not enough then start going down on sens. setting. But go down just enough to where you can tolerate it and you should still be able to detect some what efficiently. HH

Some detectors just can't handle some sites, no matter what you do. If all else fails, you'll have to hunt somewhere else.

Sandman is on the money. You might also try increasing discrimination,
or changing loops. Sometimes larger loops, have a bigger problem, as
they pick up more. If your brand can use a coaxial design loop-that
is another option. They are shielded from the top and unaffected by
60 cycle interference. That design is full scan across the loop, and
while not as deep as other designs, will allow you to hunt at high
sensitivity levels.

Thank you for the help guys.My detector is kinda crabby sometimes.

Yes, stay away from them. They seem to confuse the signals. Even though the lines are well above you, they can have an energy field or halo in close proximity. I always try to avoid them.

Its called EMI or Electromagnetic Interference. It is a common enemy of all hobby detectors, but some worse than others. The BH series seems to really dislike powerlines. I have two and both go a little crazy near powerlines.
EMIs can also come from other detectors within the area of your detector. 20 ft distance between is a good rule of thumb for detecting in groups. Also, some detectors will go crazy near large commerical sized A/C units.
The only thing I know to do is turn the sensitivity down and try to move a comfortable distance from the object which is causing the disruption.

Hope this helps! ;D

Just chuck a ladder in the back of your truck, back up to a power pole, climb, and hack the lines with a pair of hedge clippers.........
.or do all that stuff the others said. Maybe you should just ignore this post. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back