🤔Any advice in case of snake bites 🐍

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I would like to hear about your advice, for preventing snake bites or how could react in front of a bite.

Experiences, ideas, etc

Is that true that is not good idea to try to suck the poison ?

Is that true that some snake colors tell you if poisoning or not?

Is that true that rattlesnake are not rattle during rain?

Are these myths

Any comment is welcomed

Keep in touch
Jorgeke
IMG_2550.jpeg

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No idea but based on your location wearing snake guards on your legs is a huge plus.

I do remember a rhyme that said Black on Red makes you dead, that was for coral snakes though.

Do you carry a snake bite kit with you?

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's the old saying you only have to run faster than the other guy.
(Oh that was for 🐻)
Snake bites 🫦 😫
Not wise to suck out the poison yourself, that's what friends are for-right?
Probably leggings, snake bite kit, and bring aware of where you swing the coil.
Interesting topic 🤔

OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
No idea but based on your location wearing snake guards on your legs is a huge plus.

I do remember a rhyme that said Black on Red makes you dead, that was for coral snakes though.

Coralillo snake match with this rhyme?

hi Rebel,

Coralillo snake colors match with this rhyme?

I do not carry bite kit, are those effective? I hear that are not to much

OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
There's the old saying you only have to run faster than the other guy.
(Oh that was for 🐻)
Snake bites 🫦 😫
Not wise to suck out the poison yourself, that's what friends are for-right?
Probably leggings, snake bite kit, and bring aware of where you swing the coil.
Interesting topic 🤔
Lol, it remind me the joke…

In the middle of night in the forrest…
Are you pretending putting those tennis shoes for running faster than the Lyon we are listening???

No, I’m pretending running faster than you. 😂

Good advice always watching where we are swinging the coil, any step any time 👍🏽

OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
I always hear to not panic. Increase pulse rate means the venom spreads quicker. I’m not sure how to not panic after getting bit.
Good observation how can we no panic?

If just watching them I’m panic

Maybe there are some technics for no getting panic, let see if someone can advice 👍🏽😎

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never go alone and out of cell phone range. Wear snake boots, they are kind of heavy but the nastiest rattlers will not penetrate them. KNOW your snakes. A little research will help. Do not stick hands in holes or watch out for snake hidey holes, do not reach into places you cannot see. Walk slowly. And don't think about sitting on any old rotten logs.

I was in the desert near Las Vegas years ago, and my mind yelled STOP! at me. 2 feet in front of me was a sidewinder all coiled up and you could barely see the top of his back sticking out of the sand. He was hunting. He never moved. I backed up a couple feet and got a great picture, and walked around him and we both lived happily ever after.

A northern water snake will go out of its way to chomp you, but its non venomous. The others basically want to be left alone.

OP
OP
Jorgeke

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
Never go alone and out of cell phone range. Wear snake boots, they are kind of heavy but the nastiest rattlers will not penetrate them. KNOW your snakes. A little research will help. Do not stick hands in holes or watch out for snake hidey holes, do not reach into places you cannot see. Walk slowly. And don't think about sitting on any old rotten logs.

I was in the desert near Las Vegas years ago, and my mind yelled STOP! at me. 2 feet in front of me was a sidewinder all coiled up and you could barely see the top of his back sticking out of the sand. He was hunting. He never moved. I backed up a couple feet and got a great picture, and walked around him and we both lived happily ever after.

A northern water snake will go out of its way to chomp you, but its non venomous. The others basically want to be left alone.
Smokey
Very value added summary. Great advices.

Thanks, I really appreciate them

Do you still the photo ? Could you share it.

Only advice that I could not follow is the one in regards of cell phone range, sometime areas that we visit are out of cellphone range. And are the good spots

Thanks again

Where are you located ?

Flipperfla

Dec 2, 2018
Fl.
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to hear about your advice, for preventing snake bites or how could react in front of a bite.

Experiences, ideas, etc

Is that true that is not good idea to try to suck the poison ?

Is that true that some snake colors tell you if poisoning or not?

Is that true that rattlesnake are not rattle during rain?

Are these myths

Any comment is welcomed

Keep in touch
Jorgeke View attachment 2106445
If we’re in snake country we where snake gaiters. What I like about gaiters and a good pair of waterproof boots is
1A583F7E-04D3-4EF3-828D-3CB51DBB8AD6.jpeg
how you can walk or plow thru thick brush and thorns with no problem of getting torn up.

Last edited:

The Rebel

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
Southwest, CT
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Spectra V3i with wireless headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coralillo snake match with this rhyme?

hi Rebel,

Coralillo snake colors match with this rhyme?

I do not carry bite kit, are those effective? I hear that are not to much
As I'm not an EMT or Dr. I would assume that any kit is better than no kit.

I'm sure someone with far more experience than me will comment but this looks like a good kit.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I heard it was ‘red touch yellow, kill a fellow’

Guess I’d find out for sure if I lived in coral snake territory

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Maryland. We have copperheads here with a side order of Timber Rattlers, but those are few and far between. Get a satellite phone. The sucking the venom out thing isn't especially effective.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I believe now it’s stay calm, immerse limb in cold water if possible and use a tourniquet to keep poison from the heart untill you reach medical

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Current advice being given out is DO NOT suck snake bites. The idea is that you could possibly get the venom in your own system doing that. We have rattlers around here in northeastern Oregon where I live. Also, I have never heard or rattlers Not rattling in the rain. I have had the unfortunate experience of hearing them rattle within striking range of me, but fortunately, not striking.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some good advice here on the snake gators.

If bitten, DO NOT have someone try to suck out the poison. If they have so much as a single cavity in their teeth they will be poisoned as well, with the venom dangerously close to the brain. If the only person there to drive you to the hospital is also poisoned, you're both screwed.

DO: Immediately wash the area with soap and water, and keep the bite location well below the heart. Most bites are on the hands/feet, so if in the hand keep it down by the feet.

From Univ. of Cal. at Davis:

"Do not apply ice, do not use a tourniquet or constricting band, do not try to suck out the venom, and do not use any device to cut or slice the bite site.

Constricting blood vessels near a rattlesnake bite can lead to amputation. Wash the wound with soap and water, and remove wristwatches, rings on fingers or anything constrictive.

Keep calm, try to avoid exertion, and keep the affected extremity below heart level until you can be transported to a medical facility."

Best way is to avoid the snakes altogether. Watch where you are stepping, don't reach at the ground until you look. Be mindful that there are dangerous snakes around. Always better to walk around a snake, or, if you just have to detect that spot, get a long branch or stick and relocate the snake to a safe spot (for the snake).

Keep in mind that you are on their turf. Snakes, even venomous ones, are good for the environment, so only kill one if you have no other choice. JMHO.

AZ Gold Hunter

Feb 27, 2023
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Gold Monster 1000
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my teammates walked right over this guy without seeing him. I noticed the tail and immediately stopped. It was at that point the Rattler became active. I have seen this behavior many times with venomous snakes. If they believe you haven’t seen them, they often will stay still. Granted I would never bet on it and always be careful where you step. I find here in Arizona it’s much easier to see them. In southern Illinois I couldn’t see Timber Rattlers or Copperheads in leaves. Almost impossible to make them out. My late Mom did tons of work with all types of snakes so I grew up knowing a good amount about them. Here in Mesa, AZ I have moved tons out of my subdivision.

Gators definitely help. But sometimes are heavy or cumbersome. I use what I have learned along with common sense. Stay away from areas that create shade borders. Pit Vipers have major issues regulating their body temperature. They will often sit half In the shade and half sun. Also stay far away from reaching under bushes or reaching into holes. Above all if you are flipping a piece of tin or board flip it by using it as a barrier. Reach over the object and flip it back at you. Many flip edge closest to you and take a peak. If there is a venomous snake you’re going to get zapped on the fingers.

IMG_1108.jpeg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread