Any advice on MD trashy area infested with pull tabs and Corona bottles on the side o

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loco - trying to be helpful - please don't take last post wrong way
I been in hobby since 1975 - hunted with many that cranked their discrim. and try to pass up
all the trash and just get the goodies - they too missed a lot of gold - my first 3 machines
had no discrim. on them - when I was like 18 (1981) there was a popular whites machine
that a lot of hunters at that time were buying - it did not pick up white gold or nickels
so one day they drained a small pond beach - place had about a dozen hunters and Id say about
10 had these new machines - so Im finding all the pulltabs they are missing and a fair amount of nickels
I ended up with 3 white gold rings by the end of the day - guys were shocked that hey had missed them
I dropped a few and had them go over them and no of them could pick them up - unless they turned their discrim. off
that was a proud day for me - hunting in all metal with a $100 machine against their $600+ ones and I got the gold
If spots are close to you - and you have the time - take the time and take it all out
if you travel far and have limited time - then go for all the goodies you can and try to pass up as much junk as you can
but be aware that you are going to miss stuff
when I travel - I still hunt in all metal - but wont go for the huge targets and wont go for the tiny as much either
I will try for the high percentage good sounding targets
hoping you get more gold :icon_thumleft:

I am not offended, for I am primarily a coin shooter that enjoys a nice piece of bling every now and then, but it's not my main focus.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, don't get "too locked in" on slow coil motion as it can actually cost you some potential returns if the coil is moving too slow. I use quick, fast, slow, wiggles, or any combination of these motions to help bring up returns on suspected masked targets, whatever it takes. If the coil is moving too slow over an infested area it can sometimes give your machine the opportunity to cancel out potential returns that it deems too weak, etc. I really have to pay attention to this with excal because of the auto ground balance, etc. A lot of times I'll have to pull the coil away from the bottom and either allow the machine to reset on its own or reset it myself with the remote PP switch in order to be able to return the coil to the bottom again so I can get a return on a target that the auto ground balance had simply cancelled out due to either a stationary coil sitting over the target or on the bottom next to me as I attempted to dig. This same thing also accounts for a lot of those disappearing targets that you often hear hunters talking about, the machine's ground balance simply doing its job too well. :icon_thumleft:

Thanks bigscoop I'll keep that in mind next time I go tackle that area. Thanks for the great advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, don't get "too locked in" on slow coil motion as it can actually cost you some potential returns if the coil is moving too slow. I use quick, fast, slow, wiggles, or any combination of these motions to help bring up returns on suspected masked targets, whatever it takes. If the coil is moving too slow over an infested area it can sometimes give your machine the opportunity to cancel out potential returns that it deems too weak, etc. I really have to pay attention to this with excal because of the auto ground balance, etc. A lot of times I'll have to pull the coil away from the bottom and either allow the machine to reset on its own or reset it myself with the remote PP switch in order to be able to return the coil to the bottom again so I can get a return on a target that the auto ground balance had simply cancelled out due to either a stationary coil sitting over the target or on the bottom next to me as I attempted to dig. This same thing also accounts for a lot of those disappearing targets that you often hear hunters talking about, the machine's ground balance simply doing its job too well. :icon_thumleft:

I'm Man enough to admit when I may or am wrong, Should have said IMO.

I also must admit , I don't have the experience that many do on t-net using a small coil , other than the 8 inch I used on my XLT ( off a coin master) so the #'s were 10 points off.
I have always used stock coils.

I just got a G2+ in March & have about 130 hours on it more than half of that with the small coil.

Not long ago I realized my swing speed was to fast 'even with the Large DD coil' but esp, with the small coil, I'm still used to the fast recovery speed of my Tejon & my XLT 's S-speed was a bit faster (tho I could have adjusted it).

So now in my opinion , I say keep puttin in time & master either one both machines .

Then you will be rewarded.

I'm waiting on the Fall, but hate the short Days.
GL
Davers:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not offended, for I am primarily a coin shooter that enjoys a nice piece of bling every now and then, but it's not my main focus.

Me neither Loco I love old coins but when my well runs dry at a spot and all I have is the park I get myself fixated on seeing so gold. My heart is with the 1800's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread