Any advice on MD trashy area infested with pull tabs and Corona bottles on the side o

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you are gold hunting, you are doomed to dig. There are NO tricks.

Attachments

• necklace 005.jpg
    necklace 005.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 107

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you are gold hunting, you are doomed to dig. There are NO tricks.

The Brass piece would make my day, I collect the keys to, pulltab's go to charity. & I clean them / no wonder i'm crazy.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have dug 5 gold items in 3 years, all had a solid target ID.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll be using the F75 LTD. Any tricks of the trade to find gold?
Or would the ATP had a little better edge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was hoping you had some advice.
I'd dig everything under a Nickel ( may miss BIG gold tho) , or dig everything above Iron.

Oh Smallest Coil you got , either machine will work.

Yesterday I came across a Dream site , a place being cleared , with 3 Historical Civil War markers with in ' a Center fielders throw ' form the Site.

89 o 89% Humidity & Trash Everywhere ( homes were there , until 2002 ?? , Then the site was allowed to Grow new trees up to 20 feet tall & Ivy took over , meanwhile Homeless used the empty houses to live in , also camped in the area , they loved their Wine, 40's , Bud Light , etc all with aluminum screw caps + Steel beer caps (that sound good )???

Oh homes were demoed with everything still in them.

I think they just started clearing , the Leaves on the downed trees were not even wilted yet.

Guess Ill go back when the trees are gone (With small coil) Every body & their buddy's will likely be Civil War hunting this site.. It was a nightmare . If it was Winter it would be 99% easier but still a pain.

Then on the way home (3 pm ) saw another large clearing area , near historic Downtown ( not Atlanta) but was Crack Town through the 1980's -2012. Still trees everywhere there as well, & the trash was worse than the first site, I eyeballed 20 'beavertail's' or more Can;s everywhere, 'I hardly could find a spot to ground balance :BangHead:....Oh did I mention the Heat & Humidity , I'm sure you know that well being in LA.

This site will also be Swarmed by the Locals , Mucho Relics found within a Quarter Mile of this place.

Just all the Trash :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:, I'd put $ that there is relics at both sites & silver at the 2 ed ; as the homes dated to the 1940-1950's .

I will wait for all the Trees to be gone from here as well & use the little Loop, 'Night Time might work?.

These sites are VERY visible & as I stated will be Swarmed 'I'd give both sites a week or 2 before 'Signs' go up.

These places sound like the type you are asking about , so IMO Small Coil , Patience & A-lot , and Good luck. will help.

Sorry for my long post as usual, but wanted to get my Depression , Frustration across.

GL Buddy.:icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottles don't matter. Like Davers said: using a small 5" or 6" coil can be helpful in trashy sites.

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in my early days my 3-3/4" coil worked decent in real trashy areas. Ya don't cover much ground though.
Marvin

scotter1

Mar 16, 2014
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
whites dfx,xlt,idx,prism,tm 808,fisher gold bug,1280x,xp deuse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
theres no tricks to getting around the pull tabs or bottle caps.all you can do is dig.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Digemup Digemup Digemup some more. Keep them and dispose of them proper. Then you are eco friendly to boot. Good Luck, Wish that was by my house. I would dig to blisters and keep going. I wouldn't wait for the trees to go away either. I would pin point them and work around then hit those spots when they were gone. Be first to the spoils!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Digemup Digemup Digemup some more. Keep them and dispose of them proper. Then you are eco friendly to boot. Good Luck, Wish that was by my house. I would dig to blisters and keep going. I wouldn't wait for the trees to go away either. I would pin point them and work around then hit those spots when they were gone. Be first to the spoils!

Interesting. Such common sense but everyone trying beating the system. Path of least resistance. I've proved you just have to dig because I just did it, but damn I was 1 dig away from having a real rough day. Glad I hit one that time. Gold in any fashion will make you work your butt off for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Back in my early days my 3-3/4" coil worked decent in real trashy areas. Ya don't cover much ground though.
Marvin

I know, I always feel like I'm barely making any leeway with my small coil. But it hits on everything in a very small area. I'm the sort of person that chases the treasure. I'll put in half of mile and then have to come back. Lol

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting. Such common sense but everyone trying beating the system. Path of least resistance. I've proved you just have to dig because I just did it, but damn I was 1 dig away from having a real rough day. Glad I hit one that time. Gold in any fashion will make you work your butt off for it.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was hoping you had some advice.
I'd dig everything under a Nickel ( may miss BIG gold tho) , or dig everything above Iron.

Oh Smallest Coil you got , either machine will work.

Yesterday I came across a Dream site , a place being cleared , with 3 Historical Civil War markers with in ' a Center fielders throw ' form the Site.

89 o 89% Humidity & Trash Everywhere ( homes were there , until 2002 ?? , Then the site was allowed to Grow new trees up to 20 feet tall & Ivy took over , meanwhile Homeless used the empty houses to live in , also camped in the area , they loved their Wine, 40's , Bud Light , etc all with aluminum screw caps + Steel beer caps (that sound good )???

Oh homes were demoed with everything still in them.

I think they just started clearing , the Leaves on the downed trees were not even wilted yet.

Guess Ill go back when the trees are gone (With small coil) Every body & their buddy's will likely be Civil War hunting this site.. It was a nightmare . If it was Winter it would be 99% easier but still a pain.

Then on the way home (3 pm ) saw another large clearing area , near historic Downtown ( not Atlanta) but was Crack Town through the 1980's -2012. Still trees everywhere there as well, & the trash was worse than the first site, I eyeballed 20 'beavertail's' or more Can;s everywhere, 'I hardly could find a spot to ground balance :BangHead:....Oh did I mention the Heat & Humidity , I'm sure you know that well being in LA.

This site will also be Swarmed by the Locals , Mucho Relics found within a Quarter Mile of this place.

Just all the Trash :BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::BangHead:, I'd put $ that there is relics at both sites & silver at the 2 ed ; as the homes dated to the 1940-1950's .

I will wait for all the Trees to be gone from here as well & use the little Loop, 'Night Time might work?.

These sites are VERY visible & as I stated will be Swarmed 'I'd give both sites a week or 2 before 'Signs' go up.

These places sound like the type you are asking about , so IMO Small Coil , Patience & A-lot , and Good luck. will help.

Sorry for my long post as usual, but wanted to get my Depression , Frustration across.

GL Buddy.:icon_thumleft:

Humidity is so think huh? How the soil down there? Ours is, for the majority, either moist clay or the heat makes it crumbly clay. Hard to make pretty plugs that way. But I will say mop parana goes through clay like butter not to mention roots. Keep me informed on what you fine I'm very curious and how much work it took to find it. Good luck brotha.

P.S. i'm literally excited for you about the site

Last edited:

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those Corona caps sure sound sweet. If you figure it out let me know!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Masked targets, so many variables can come into play here. Discrimination, Sensitivity, coil size, coil type, the machine being used, the ground being hunted, all of these factors can harbor different effects. The simple truth is the more you use a particular machine, the better you understand all of its settings and all of its little nuances, the better you will become with that machine, there just aren't any shortcuts. Some machines simply provide more information then others, some machines process that information differently, etc., etc.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth,
One thing has become apparent since moving away from the beaches of Florida, “I was doing a lot wrong while hunting those beaches.” And, it is all of the recent trashy and diverse areas that I hunt now that eventually exposed all of this to me. PP Mode, Disc Mode, Silent Mode, discrimination settings, sensitivity settings, coil sizes, etc., etc., they all have their place depending on the conditions at hand. Today I would be at a complete loss without the remote PP switch simply because I am using it all the time, this becoming second nature now. I'm constantly switching coil sizes, constantly making adjustments in my disc and sensitivity settings, etc. All of these things have allowed me to become pretty comfortable at sorting out targets in these extremely trashy and diverse places I hunt now. In the beginning, however, I was overwhelmed. Today I look forward to hunting these places and at times I have actually come to prefer them because these areas still hold so many targets. The F-75 is an excellent machine so my advise, force yourself to discover every iota of nuance about it and then figure out how to apply all of it to your advantage. Far too often we tend to see only the disadvantages and yet everything we do in regards to that machine is a trade off, “somewhere else.” Figure all of this out and you'll no longer be second guessing your machine and the setups you use. This eventual total confidence is “priceless!”

On the flip-side, however, don't wear yourself out specifically targeting gold where little to no gold may exist. Those who are consistently finding gold know how to keep their coils in the best places possible.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth,
One thing has become apparent since moving away from the beaches of Florida, “I was doing a lot wrong while hunting those beaches.” And, it is all of the recent trashy and diverse areas that I hunt now that eventually exposed all of this to me. PP Mode, Disc Mode, Silent Mode, discrimination settings, sensitivity settings, coil sizes, etc., etc., they all have their place depending on the conditions at hand. Today I would be at a complete loss without the remote PP switch simply because I am using it all the time, this becoming second nature now. I'm constantly switching coil sizes, constantly making adjustments in my disc and sensitivity settings, etc. All of these things have allowed me to become pretty comfortable at sorting out targets in these extremely trashy and diverse places I hunt now. In the beginning, however, I was overwhelmed. Today I look forward to hunting these places and at times I have actually come to prefer them because these areas still hold so many targets. The F-75 is an excellent machine so my advise, force yourself to discover every iota of nuance about it and then figure out how to apply all of it to your advantage. Far too often we tend to see only the disadvantages and yet everything we do in regards to that machine is a trade off, “somewhere else.” Figure all of this out and you'll no longer be second guessing your machine and the setups you use. This eventual total confidence is “priceless!”

On the flip-side, however, don't wear yourself out specifically targeting gold where little to no gold may exist. Those who are consistently finding gold know how to keep their coils in the best places possible.

What a "remote PP switch"?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread