Any advice....

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
My brother-in-law lost a ring in his dirt driveway which has about 2" inches of snow on it. He asked if I could look for it with my metal detector. I said sure and that it shouldn't be too hard to locate. But, then he told me it wasn't made of gold or silver. It is made out of tungsten & carbide. Any ideas where this type of metal may hit on the Explorer II. Isn't tungsten & carbide basically steel?

I was planning on being mostly wide open except maybe just eliminating the lowest iron beeps (iron mask -14). I'm sure being a dirt driveway near a workshop there is going to be a lot nail, screws, washers, etc....

Any thoughts on how you would set the machine?

Thanks,

Brian in MA

cosmic

Dec 31, 2006
Watseka, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Fors Core, X pointer, Sunrays
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lowest sensitivity you can go as it will be close to or right on the surface..

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive found a couple of those. Im positive it will ring in with a high tone in Ferr. Sorry cant check them because im traveling toward Fla and everything is packed up. Like he said you need very little sensitivity to find a target recently lost. Im sure IM 22 is fine.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your going to need lots of luck to find it where he thinks he lost it. Use low sensitivity and low disc. to check all targets that are in the snow and hope one of his tires didn't pick it up. These jobs are never as simple as you think they will be.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the advice. I'm going over today. He was working on a trailer and slipped on ice and fell. He thinks he lost it during the fall. No trucks have been in the driveway since so it should still be on the surface.

I'll let you know how I make out.

Brian

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If he really lost it during the fall on the icey driveway, the failing arms could have sent the ring a long way in any direction. It could even be hanging on a bush. I hope you find it.

OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Spent all day yesterday putting an alternator in my truck. :angry4:

I am going over today (assuming the truck starts)...

I'll let you all know tomorrow.

Thanks again for the suggestions. I'm sure they will help !!!

Brian

OP
OP
Brian in MA

Brian in MA

Sep 4, 2004
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer II
Primary Interest:
Other
Found it...... But, didn't get a chance to use any of the advice that you all offered. Instead, I got taken to school by my 13-year old son. He asked if he could help look for it. I thought that would be a good idea because he could use the experience. He has only metal detected once or twice before. So, I said sure and told him to grab my old GTA-1000.

We got there and walked to the trailer where my brother-in-law had fallen. I figured we would start there and work our way towards the garage.

We both turned on our machines and before I even finished setting up my machine my son hollers 'GOT IT'. I was in total shock !!!!! :o

I guess I shouldn't be too surprised. I did teach him everything I know :wink:

Hopefully, this will get him motivated for future hunts....

Needless to say the look on his uncle's face when my son handed his ring back to him was priceless!!!

By the way, once we had the ring I checked it with my EXII and was shocked where it hit. The cursor was half off the screen on the BOTTOM. Basically, about where tin foil hits !!!

Again, thanks for all the advice.

Brian (& Tyler) in MA

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
Way to end a post! Glad the hear everthing turned out well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread