x-terra 30

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
discovery 2000 , ace 250 & x-terra 50
i own an ace 250 and want to go up a lvl in my detecteors ability and only want to spend about $350-$500 is the x-terra a good detector i ask about this one because its in the price range and because it has vdi gauge and i was thinking once i got use to the vdi numbers might make my "good finds" easier to come by ive been detecting for about 10 yrs started out with a dicovery 2000 then went to the ace just want to know if the x-terra is a good step up or not?

khouse

Dec 6, 2006
To actually move up a level from the 250 you really need to consider the XT50 and 70 in the ML family. The 50 is in your price range.

OP
OP
geo4472

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
ok thanks for the replies going to check out the 50 :icon_study:

tinkb

Feb 12, 2005
Salem Ohio
I agree that the X30 won't really be an upgrade from the Ace250. I have owned them both and neither worked that great in my area of Oregon with hot rocks and materialized soil. For the money you have to spend, go with a new X50. You might even be able to find a great used one with a couple different coils or a X70.

I loved the X30 for some reason even thou it didn't do that well in my area. I just traded for a X70, got to use it for 1/2 hour one day but can already tell its going to be a good coin jewelry machine. Love all the features, light weight and interchangeable coil for different frequencies. Keep us up to date on that you end up getting. Either one, X50-X70, will serve you well.

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the xterra 50 and man I would not take anything for it. I had the ace 250 one time and it was a tough little unit. I have had alot of machines and this one is the best I have ever had. I got the xterra 50 because I just coin and relic hunt. You can feel free to PM me and I can answer any question you may have about it. You are not really going to gain much at all going to the xterra 30 because it is just about the same as the 250, only cost more.

AmericanCoinHunting

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2005
CHICAGO
Detector(s) used
E-Trac w/Pro Coil,and 6x8" S.E.F,The Relic & Gold hunters DREAM...a Troy X-3 w/3 coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinkb said:
I agree that the X30 won't really be an upgrade from the Ace250. I have owned them both and neither worked that great in my area of Oregon with hot rocks and materialized soil. For the money you have to spend, go with a new X50. You might even be able to find a great used one with a couple different coils or a X70.

I loved the X30 for some reason even thou it didn't do that well in my area. I just traded for a X70, got to use it for 1/2 hour one day but can already tell its going to be a good coin jewelry machine. Love all the features, light weight and interchangeable coil for different frequencies. Keep us up to date on that you end up getting. Either one, X50-X70, will serve you well.
I have to agree as well......................Even tho I use the E-Trac..........and have 5 other detectors........
one of them is an Exterra 70...........I thought about selling those 5 and getting an Ace 250,with a DD coil,and a Sun-Ray probe for it to use as my back up.........If you got the DD,and Sun-Ray Probe.............I think your finds would improve,and they would be easier to locate in the ground.............Minelab will not release their (chip technology) for the X-terra line so Sun-Ray can not make a probe for it,so I carry a Whites Bullsye PinPointer.............Otherwise I would just get a Sun-Ray probe for my X-Terra 70.....
.....................Man that Sun-Ray probe has me spoiled..........Makes it soooooooo much easier to locate a find !!

John (Ma)

Silver Member
Jul 12, 2007
Western Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000, Tesoro Silver Umax, Tiger Shark and Whites MXT.
I went looking for detectors this last weekend for the little woman. I was very impressed with the x terra 50. I would say the 70 is good especially if you were going to prospect with it. But she wants to mostly coin and jewlery hunt on beach and parks. Possably a little relic hunting, but I have a feeling when she tries that it won't last long, lol. We also like the Whites M6 for what she is looking for, but appears a little heavier. From what I hear, the Minelab will go a little deeper. The x terra 30 did not impress at all. I like some form of ground balance because every place you go has soil that is just a little different. Good luck!

OP
OP
geo4472

geo4472

Feb 19, 2007
paterson nj
Detector(s) used
i decided to get the 50 bought one from tony from tc metal detectors who i met on this site just waiting for him to send it now so i can check it out. thanks for the advice all

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread