Any BH Detector in the 8" coin range in Real Life use?

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Current: Tesoro Outlaw, BH Tracker IV, HF MD6008
Ex: White's Coinmaster Pro, BH Discovery 3300, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know the advertised depths of any metal detector are inflated (just like everything else in life). I'm not sure if the advertised coin depths are done with wet ground and a test bed, bald faced lies, or the absolute best conditions to be found outside of the real world.

Now that I've used my Bounty Hunter Tracker IV out detecting just short of 30 hours in a variety of locations/soil/weather/and coil sizes I have a good idea of it's potential. I'm still learning, but the maximum depth I have ever found a coin is in the 4" to short of 5" mark with the standard 8" coil (which actually measures 8 1/4"). Using my 4" Gold Nugget coil gets nearly the same results with a little less depth.

The soil in my Indiana area is not highly mineralized or anything and is mainly a typical topsoil but can vary to clay or even a sand mix. I have never seen the ocean, let alone ever plan to dig in it or on any beach so wet sand/black sand/salt levels/water/etc. are of no concern to me.

It seems the rule is to cut the advertised depth in half to find the real maximum depth to be expected. My BH Tracker IV claims 8" on coins but as mentioned does only half of that.

My dad has a Garrett Ace 250 and detects coins that my MD does not make a signal on even in all metal mode with no discrimination. It's a bit disheartening to know I am leaving behind many treasures, and I'd like to find a MD that has the depth to find them.

I have been researching all other BH brand detectors trying to find one with a real depth maximum range of 8". It seems most silver and old coin finds are found typically in the 6" to 9" range so I am looking to find a MD that really can detect to that depth.

I would like to stay with the Bounty Hunter brand as I have invested in the optional coils and other products, that way I can continue to use them with another MD. I like the BH detectors ability to get started quickly at a site, and often out pace others in total finds that I have been detecting with - and I have never left empty handed. Also it seems nearly all BH MD can be purchased quite reasonably new or used in the $200 range - and likely available local as they are popular and low priced.

If anyone has a Bounty Hunter metal detector and would like to respond with their typical maximum coin depth it would be much appreciated. I have found nearly all models are available online or in store for $200 or less - so the real question is which model actually gets the coin depth.

I also know the company First Texas makes other brands/names that are the same detectors, or can use the Bounty Hunter coils and such so any information on those would be great too.

I have been pouring over new and discontinued BH models looking for information and here are the advertised depths for the models I could find information on (seems some don't like to advertise a depth, which obviously makes me think they are very shallow depth MD's). I put them in groups based on depth and in alphabetical order --

Pioneer 501 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'
Pioneer 503 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'
Pioneer 505 - Coins 11", Large Objects 5'

Camo LS - Coins 10", Large Objects 5'
Discovery 3300 - (Same as Legacy 3500) Coins 10", Large Objects 4'
LandStar - Coins 10"
Pioneer 202 - Coins 10", Large Objects 4'

Discovery 2200 - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Lone Star - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Pioneer 101 - (Same as Tracker IV) Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Quick Draw II - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Quick Silver - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'
Tracker IV - Coins 8", Large Objects 3'

Fast Tracker - Coins 7"

Discovery 1100 - Coins 6", Large Objects 2'
Pioneer EX - Coins 6", Large Objects 2'

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can vouch for the Land Star. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! It finds deep targets and tiny targets. I dug a single link from a gold bracelet and I dig earring backs all the time.

I like the no motion all metal mode a lot for pinpointing.

I usually hunt in 0 discrimination mode then switch to no motion all metal to pinpoint. I dig everything above Iron and foil.

I just dug a barber dime yesterday at 10-11" and I also dug the worlds deepest V nickle at about 13 or so inches.

It is a discontinued model and the recovery time is not that great, but in clean areas it rocks and if you do short sweeps... more like wobbles... you can pick out targets in trashy areas.

Check my videos in my youtube channel (listed below). You'll see some really deep targets. I dug a can of deep woods off (bug spray) at 20 or so".

If you want to buy one I'll sell you mine for $150. I got it new and I've had it for a little over a year. It's not perfect, but it's in good shape and works great. I use it 2-4 times a week, every week and it's still kicking a$$. The only reason I'd sell it for that is because I owe Mike (from Woodland Detectors) $150 and I'll be the proud new owner of an AT Pro :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can vouch for the Land Star. I absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE mine! It finds deep targets and tiny targets. I dug a single link from a gold bracelet and I dig earring backs all the time.

I like the no motion all metal mode a lot for pinpointing.

I usually hunt in 0 discrimination mode then switch to no motion all metal to pinpoint. I dig everything above Iron and foil.

I just dug a barber dime yesterday at 10-11" and I also dug the worlds deepest V nickle at about 13 or so inches.

It is a discontinued model and the recovery time is not that great, but in clean areas it rocks and if you do short sweeps... more like wobbles... you can pick out targets in trashy areas.

Check my videos in my youtube channel (listed below). You'll see some really deep targets. I dug a can of deep woods off (bug spray) at 20 or so".

If you want to buy one I'll sell you mine for $150. I got it new and I've had it for a little over a year. It's not perfect, but it's in good shape and works great. I use it 2-4 times a week, every week and it's still kicking a$$. The only reason I'd sell it for that is because I owe Mike (from Woodland Detectors) $150 and I'll be the proud new owner of an AT Pro :)

Thanks Sean for the details, I did watch a few videos of you looking for some old cellars in the woods (plan to watch more later). That sounds like a great MD, I'm not looking to dig any craters but would like to find some deeper targets beyond the 4" to 5" mark.

I sent you a PM on the MD offer.

TC, I looked on the BH website and didn't see depth advertising there, so I was wondering where you came across "depth on coins" advertising.

--Dave J.

Dave, the BH website has the depths for the different Discovery series MD's, the Teknetics T2, and various others as well scattered on the BH pages.

The others I found come from various MD seller websites (distributors and other sites that sell BH) - the strange thing is they almost always say the same depths so they heard it from somewhere, presumably BH.

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks, TC, I looked a little harder this time. Several products did advertise depth, and of those, the depth shown is about right. Of course those numbers refer to "air test": in-ground results are normally less.

I was concerned about the 8 inches you cited for the TK4 and Quicksilver, since those models are good for about 6 to 7 inches max respectively. I was hoping that the 8 inch figure hadn't come from our website, which it evidently didn't.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, TC, I looked a little harder this time. Several products did advertise depth, and of those, the depth shown is about right. Of course those numbers refer to "air test": in-ground results are normally less.

I was concerned about the 8 inches you cited for the TK4 and Quicksilver, since those models are good for about 6 to 7 inches max respectively. I was hoping that the 8 inch figure hadn't come from our website, which it evidently didn't.

--Dave J.

Ah, I didn't even think about the listed depths as the infamous air tests. My Tracker IV gets 7" on a 50 cent coin, and 6 1/4" on a quarter I've found doing the air test myself recently (Standard coil set on All Metal mode, Sensitivity max, and no Disc). Using the 4" Gold Nugget coil it gets 5 1/2" on a 50 cent coin, and 5 1/4" on a quarter (same settings).

You do got me curious though which website is yours?

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check my videos in my youtube channel (listed below). You'll see some really deep targets. I dug a can of deep woods off (bug spray) at 20 or so.

I know it's off topic but what a find on the George Auger ring! That is really a awesome find. :icon_thumright:

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
Ah, I didn't even think about the listed depths as the infamous air tests. My Tracker IV gets 7" on a 50 cent coin, and 6 1/4" on a quarter I've found doing the air test myself recently (Standard coil set on All Metal mode, Sensitivity max, and no Disc). Using the 4" Gold Nugget coil it gets 5 1/2" on a 50 cent coin, and 5 1/4" on a quarter (same settings).

You do got me curious though which website is yours?

The factory BH website, BOUNTY HUNTER METAL DETECTORS .

--Dave J.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always found in ground tests to be deeper than air tests. Like my Coinstrike, It isn't anything spectacular with air tests but I have found many deep coins in the ground. A buddy of mine had the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and I thought that was a better than average detector. I hear good things about the 505 as well. If I was to buy a cheaper detector I would take a 505 over an Ace 250.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The factory BH website, BOUNTY HUNTER METAL DETECTORS .

--Dave J.

I would have guessed :D The only strange thing I find is many models are not listed on the site - such as the Discovery Legacy series, Pioneer models above the 202 (501, 503, or 505 all found at Kellyco), and the Platinum and Gold BH models. I guess they are all discontinued?

I do have to ask what is the difference between the Land Star and Pioneer 505 beyond the all metal ground control? Also has the Pioneer 505 been discontinued as well? I think either would be a great upgrade to get some extra depth.

I've always found in ground tests to be deeper than air tests. Like my Coinstrike, It isn't anything spectacular with air tests but I have found many deep coins in the ground. A buddy of mine had the Bounty Hunter Time Ranger and I thought that was a better than average detector. I hear good things about the 505 as well. If I was to buy a cheaper detector I would take a 505 over an Ace 250.

I have seen some MD's are better than their air tests, seems to make the air tests even more confusing as with mine it gets less in ground than air. The 505 seems to me like the one to get, but the Teknetics line looks great too.

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm still using my good old Pioneer 101 and having pretty good luck. I found an old automotive clutch at about 12" but most of my finds are in the 1" to 6" range, but have found some deeper, just not many. I guess it depends on the soil.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still using my good old Pioneer 101 and having pretty good luck. I found an old automotive clutch at about 12" but most of my finds are in the 1" to 6" range, but have found some deeper, just not many. I guess it depends on the soil.

Nothing wrong with that, I'm just looking for a little more depth on finds. Indeed it depends on the soil and the size of the target. I dug a random scrap of metal (6 1/2" long and 2" wide) at about 10" deep, soda cans about the same depth, and other objects I gave up on as they were even deeper. For coins though my max find is short of 5", which is close to the depth Dave "Woot!" said a few posts back of the Tracker IV max coin sized objects the depth is 6".

I did find a Bounty Hunter MD that goes even further than the 8" depth I was looking for. A BH Discovery 3300, stats from the Bounty Hunter's website for it says, "Coin-sized objects 10” deep; larger objects up to 4'." I've read several reviews that the MD finds dimes up to 9" and quarters in the 10" to 11" range typically, and some said even deeper.

Then add in the features such as LCD display, manual and preset ground balance options, notch capabilities, 4 audio tones, target ID indicator, 3 digit target numerical value, pinpointing mode, depth indicator, adjustable arm rest, etc. etc. - and the fact my 4" Gold Nugget Coil and others fit it and the customer reviews, well I'm just as excited as can be about it.

I have the Discovery 3300 ordered new from a distributor and it should arrive Tuesday or sooner. This time I'll leave it stock so I get the 5 year warranty too. I can't wait to try it out! :occasion14:

DeerStalker

May 11, 2012
Northern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck with your new MD! Let me know how it works out for you. I've been contemplating an upgrade myself. Just not sure what brand or model I want to sink my money in.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck with your new MD! Let me know how it works out for you. I've been contemplating an upgrade myself. Just not sure what brand or model I want to sink my money in.

Thanks and I will. I'll be out in the yard getting to know it as soon as I get the box open - which USPS says will be this Saturday. I'll be sure to report about the MD once I get out to some places and try it out over the weekend. :thumbsup:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You would do alot better buying a used quality detector which will hold a better resale value if you decide to try something else or upgrade. I found a MXT at a pawn shop that I had to buy for $252.00 with tax and all, I can say for sure it will find those deep coins I've detected with people that have the V3i and the Etrac and the MXT will hold its own for sure.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I own the Bounty Hunter 202. With 3 coils.

Thanks and I will. I'll be out in the yard getting to know it as soon as I get the box open - which USPS says will be this Saturday. I'll be sure to report about the MD once I get out to some places and try it out over the weekend. :thumbsup:

I own a vintage BH202 by Pioneer. I have made many finds and very happy with the purchase. It runs a little hotter than whats reported on the website. It reaches 7" easily on coins. If this is your first detector, you will be happy with your choice.

I don't have brand loyalty but my second detector is also a First Texas machine. I just purchased a used F75 and will be a while learning it after coming off the BH202.

My old BH has one advantage over my F75. It will operate in some of the worse conditions. My F75 is very sensitive and just dont work everywhere. There is a park next to a cell phone tower I like to hunt. Forget about it with the F75.

One suggestion I would offer is to learn how to set it for silver. Expect to dig 3" targets all day. The depth and ID meter is not very accurate after that. Also a pin pointer is helpful at that depth to pop targets out and you don't need to dig a plug.

I found the BH 202 also likes tin and anything aluminum over the size of a BB. The 5" gold coil does not find gold, but is great in trashy areas and around large metal.

Last, newer machines are built for weight and I suspect cost were cut on components.

While I laugh when people compare a high end fisher against a garret work horse such as the waterproof, AT Pro. I would suggest to anyone the benefits of the customer service at Garret, and the options of the Garret AT Pro. Another machine I may purchase is the Fisher F4. I only recommend these two machines as this is what my friends run.

I did not mention Minelab and Tesero. In my area people have had trouble like I do with my F75. So great machines may not produce due to soil conditions or trashy areas.

As for the AT Pro, I don't swim so I don't need the water proofing. I live in a desert btw. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Buy the best you can I say.

As for air test, I find air all the time lol. Throw a coin on the ground and then test. If your hitting 6" you doing as good as the rest of us. Yes, I seeing dimes at 14". Havent dug any yet lol.

OP
OP
TCosbyJr

TCosbyJr

Jun 3, 2012
Bedford, IN
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You would do alot better buying a used quality detector which will hold a better resale value if you decide to try something else or upgrade. I found a MXT at a pawn shop that I had to buy for $252.00 with tax and all, I can say for sure it will find those deep coins I've detected with people that have the V3i and the Etrac and the MXT will hold its own for sure.

Good point, but I don't worry about resale value as I plan to use it than reselling. I also tend to be someone who always alters my possessions if for nothing else to make it worthless to someone else -why you may ask, it's easy to answer, that way if money gets tight I get to keep it as it is not worth anything. :laughing7:

I am keeping my eye on pawn shops as well for deals, but I think they are getting tired of me calling to check their MD stock in my surrounding cities. :D

I own a vintage BH202 by Pioneer. I have made many finds and very happy with the purchase. It runs a little hotter than whats reported on the website. It reaches 7" easily on coins. If this is your first detector, you will be happy with your choice.

I don't have brand loyalty but my second detector is also a First Texas machine. I just purchased a used F75 and will be a while learning it after coming off the BH202.

My old BH has one advantage over my F75. It will operate in some of the worse conditions. My F75 is very sensitive and just dont work everywhere. There is a park next to a cell phone tower I like to hunt. Forget about it with the F75.

One suggestion I would offer is to learn how to set it for silver. Expect to dig 3" targets all day. The depth and ID meter is not very accurate after that. Also a pin pointer is helpful at that depth to pop targets out and you don't need to dig a plug.

I found the BH 202 also likes tin and anything aluminum over the size of a BB. The 5" gold coil does not find gold, but is great in trashy areas and around large metal.

Last, newer machines are built for weight and I suspect cost were cut on components.

While I laugh when people compare a high end fisher against a garret work horse such as the waterproof, AT Pro. I would suggest to anyone the benefits of the customer service at Garret, and the options of the Garret AT Pro. Another machine I may purchase is the Fisher F4. I only recommend these two machines as this is what my friends run.

I did not mention Minelab and Tesero. In my area people have had trouble like I do with my F75. So great machines may not produce due to soil conditions or trashy areas.

As for the AT Pro, I don't swim so I don't need the water proofing. I live in a desert btw. Good luck and Happy Hunting.

I am a fan of the turn on an go style of the BH, it can't be beat for ease of use. Seems sensitivity is a issue for many MD's. I don't have any problems with my Tracker IV, but with another detector who knows in my area. Thanks for commenting on your 202.

Buy the best you can I say.

As for air test, I find air all the time lol. Throw a coin on the ground and then test. If your hitting 6" you doing as good as the rest of us. Yes, I seeing dimes at 14". Havent dug any yet lol.

Indeed, that was why I was so grateful to see the easy pay option to get the Discovery 3300 I have been looking at. The only thing I know of air tests is they are a way to compare one MD to another; however, many detect better/worse than their air test in the ground so it seems about pointless all around.

That will be my first tests of the 3300 playing in the yard, and perhaps finding something worth while that was missed by the Tracker IV or Ace 250. :D

Olegrumpy

Apr 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
Sov GT-Explorer II-Goldbug Pro-Eurotek Pro-Classic III-Golden µMAX-1212-x-SH MKII-
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
The Fisher F4 comes with a 11" DD coil.

It will accept both your BH coils without problems.

Advantages of this purchase are obvious :

-Digital detector with notching capacities.

-Your arsenal wil contain both DD and concentric coils.

-No motion mode with ground balance. You can search in non motion, listening to faint, deep signal, eventually checking them in disc.

-Depth meter to dig only deep targets, or targets in the coin range, or both.

The alternative is a Time Ranger. I run one, and I like it a lot. It has a proscpecting mode, and my '" gold nugget coil air tests 8+" on coin-sized targets.

HH

Grumpy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread