Any CURRENT opinions of the Infinium LS?

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not looking to start another war or beat a dead horse, but I'm looking for any CURRENT information on the opinions/usage/recommendations on the Garrett Infinium LS. Everything I'm seeing so far is so last year or doesn't provide my with anything useful.
The reason I'm interested in the LS is for beach hunting. I'm also interested in the Excal and those are my two main choices at the moment, but I need more info on the LS before I take the plunge one way or the other. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Also, anyone using the Infinium around Virginia Beach? I'm curious as to how its working out for you...
Excal guys: I know the Excal works around here...seems like darn near everyone has one...LOL...

Thanks
John

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've not used an Excalibur but I do have an infinium. If you are used to a low mid high tone machine then the infinium makes it tough. I haven't sold it because I use it in the water from time to time but really even with a good bit of time digging in dry areas with it every target seems to be a crapshoot. If you are planning on digging everything the infinium will work. If you want to be a bit more picky and try to skip pop tops and bobby pins I'd look at something with better discrimination or at least different tones. I like to wiggle the coil in pinpointing and half the time I can't hear high low vs low high unless I stand there and think about which tone is first.

OP
OP
Sand Pirate

Sand Pirate

Jun 26, 2013
Hampton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks! I'm still in the fence but I'm leaning towards the Excalibur simply because of the better iron disc...there's a lot of it around here....
That being said, my AT Pro will still pick up very small iron (I'm talking smaller than a dime) up to 6 inches deep, dry or wet with iron disc at 40 in all metal mode...it can make for a long day if I choose to dig everything, which I do mostly, if nothing else but to gain experience with the tones...

Blskypilot

Jan 24, 2012
Detector(s) used
Infinium ls
At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yah I've got an at pro as well. I usually skip the iron grunts with low vdi 30s and below. Might be missing some of those stainless rings and the like but I'm ok with that.

Try an infinium if you get the chance, I've dug some deeper holes with it so it gets the depth but the high low or low high tone system is a big change. I certainly can't walk around calling coins with it like I can the at pro

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its got better over the years with the addition of the smaller coils, better coil cable , detuned for easier use with the mono coil in salt water but the discrimination is really bad. Gold can be low/hi tone or hi/low tone. Good (pure) silver is low/hi, alloyed is hi/low. Large nickel can go hi/low, low/hi. Reverse discrimination can help to a degree but its still not going to be anywhere near 100 %.

Slower than average sweep speed needed. Most P.I.'s need little or no balancing out of the wet salt, the Garrett does and discrimination may need to be set as high as 3 at which point sensitivity to gold is starting to reduce.

On the plus side its really well built and finished, waterproof and cheap.

ivanll

Jul 5, 2008
TNQ
Its got better over the years with the addition of the smaller coils, better coil cable , detuned for easier use with the mono coil in salt water but the discrimination is really bad. Gold can be low/hi tone or hi/low tone. Good (pure) silver is low/hi, alloyed is hi/low. Large nickel can go hi/low, low/hi. Reverse discrimination can help to a degree but its still not going to be anywhere near 100 %.

Slower than average sweep speed needed. Most P.I.'s need little or no balancing out of the wet salt, the Garrett does and discrimination may need to be set as high as 3 at which point sensitivity to gold is starting to reduce.

On the plus side its really well built and finished, waterproof and cheap.

Where do the info "detuned for easier use with the mono coil in salt water" come from..........I would like to go into the box and up-tune it a bit.

I run at "0" disc. on land, beach and in the salt water with any of the available coils.

ivanll

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread