Any Durham, NC History Experts Out There?

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this pin a few days ago. Seems to be made of brass. Measures 1 1/2" across and 1 1/4" high. On the back there is solder marks where a pin or clasp was to attach it to something. The pin has rotted away and left the solder behind. No makers marks anyplace.

The words, "Durham Renowned The World Around" used to be on a sign someplace in down town Durham. The only reference to that, that I have found is a site that has a photograph of a street scene and it says the sign is lit in the upper middle of the photo. Unfortunately the photo is so poor you can't see anything other than a white blob where the lit sign is supposed to be.

I take it this is a motto of the Town of Durham, NC.

What has me puzzled is the date across the globe. It says, "August 19th 1914". I have not been able to find the significance of that date. Is it an anniversary of the founding of the town? Some major event that day in Durham? I have searched the web over and haven't found out what it means.

Attachments

• CIMG2135.jpg
    CIMG2135.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 358
Upvote 0

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think that logo was created around 1913, but what the date of your find I haven't a clue. They have some photos of signs with the globe online.
Carl

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check this site:
http://www.lib.unc.edu/blogs/ncm/index.php/2009/05/14/more-on-renowned-the-world-around/

Here is some interesting info:
“In 1913, the Durham Traction Co. (later Duke Power) offered to pay to erect a large electric sign lauding Durham, as a gesture of thanks to downtown merchants who had purchased electric lights. The Commercial Club (later the Chamber of Commerce) sponsored a contest to decide the slogan. The winning entry, from WW Weaver and JE Banning was “Durham: Renowned the World Around.”

The sign was erected on a moonlight night on December 15th, 1913. In addition to the slogan, it read “Health, Wealth, Progress, Success” around the circumference. The sign was 31 1/2 feet wide and topped by a “10 foot sphere”. It required 1200 bulbs to operate. It was illuminated to a crowd of either “hundreds” or “thousands”.”

See Picture....

Attachments

• necornchurchmain_1920.jpg
    necornchurchmain_1920.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 267

SkyPirate

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
Raleigh North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of one with the gold gilt still intact. I am also puzzled about the date ???

Attachments

• pin.jpg
    pin.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 272
OP
OP
Curious The George

Curious The George

Sep 4, 2008
East Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Metrotech
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks to every one for the comments. And thanks for the links, information and photos. I hope that the mystery of the date will show up one day.
CTG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread