Any help Identifying these and maybe valuing them? Arrowhead/Spearhead?

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were found in Southeastern Wisconsin in the 1960's on two separate farm fields owned by my family.

I was wondering if there is anyone who could maybe help me identify them, and give me some kind of value or estimated value.

There were a few more, but they were "run of the mill" types, and not in the best shape.

These are the 2 that I thought were most interesting.

Thanks in advance.

arrowhead 015.JPG arrowhead 014.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes

Glenn C

Nov 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like a nice one. They are out there. But if there is money to be made, it is hard to trust the internet. I have seen many good finds made. To see so many going for so little on the the web is suspect and I know they are few and far between when it comes to good ones. The problem is that buyers such as yourself may pay a arm and a leg for something. If you have a fake and you promote it as real as you assume it to be, unknowing from what you payed for it. I can understand you standing up as it is human nature. The fakes will slide through and be catalogued at one point in error. I believe I think this is a extension on what Gator is saying. EBay buys will inevitably add to this problem of filtering fakes to the market poised as artifacts.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
If you know your stuff, and deal with trustworthy sellers that offer refunds, the risk is really minimal.

I would offer a hundred dollars for any fake found in my collection to anyone who wants to look and give me a buck a piece for the good ones. There's got to be something in it for me.:-) No, the grey ghost and sedalia I just posted don't count and Yes, I'm that confident.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank god I am to poor to buy artifacts. Have sold a few and gave a bunch away. If I had extra money for artifacts. I would buy some of the ones I sold back.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To the poster, your artifacts are nice but the values on them wont be great as MR has already stated I believe $30 for the 2 would be the highest value you could hope for. I buy points when I have a chance and pay between $1-$8 for each. $8 being the nice ones. You got 2 nice ones for your own collection.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Thank god I am to poor to buy artifacts. Have sold a few and gave a bunch away. If I had extra money for artifacts. I would buy some of the ones I sold back.

Well I would never sell any personal finds myself, and If I could find artifacts with any regularity as nice as the ones I buy, I wouldn't be buying them either. With my summer schedule, and winter being what it is up here building a nice collection, not just a collection, takes more than time, miles and effort.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, AndyE, are you scratching your head yet? This. This is what you get when you ask a simple question... And here's yet another answer: you have field-grade artifacts. One is definitely a point but I won't hazard a guess because I don't know what names are attached to points in Wisconsin. The other is a tool or blank or preform. I don't think they'd get even $30. I know you're asking because you imagine there might be real monetary value, and alas, there's isn't. The value is in the whole collection- as an example of the variety of artifacts and material used to make them- of a certain area. And unless you're into the artifact hunting/collecting 'thing', this is a logical way of getting rid of clutter. Seems to me there might just be someone from where they were found- still living there maybe- who would be very interested in your small collection (would really love to see the other bits and pieces when you have the time- and are able to upload pics...). Maybe the local historical society or- dare I say it- archeological society might be interested. Even the local post office or town offices or a local grade school...

I guess I'm probably one of a very few people here who actually plans on leaving a substantial part of my collection right here- where they can be seen and learned from and appreciated. I don't want to be the only one (along w/ a couple good friends) to know of what I found. And I don't really want these pieces to stray too far from 'home'. For me, the important thing isn't having the finest collection in the land, but rather having a fine example of pre-historic reality. The quirky pieces, broken pieces, pieces w/ inclusions, exhausted point/tools,... all add up to something more important than individual value. To me. So, from my point of view, I guess I'm rooting for you to keep the collection together- whether it's a good collection or just so-so. And it would be great if they could find their way home. Good luck, whatever you decide. Yak

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Thanks for the input yakker. I feel the same way about the artifacts from the local sites I have been collecting. They are very special, and will be left in good hands locally.
Site collections personally found and type collections of particular types often have different sentimental values to their collector, in my opinion.

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
Nice artifacts Andy.:icon_thumright: I would go back and look for more from those sites.
These were found in Southeastern Wisconsin in the 1960's on two separate farm fields owned by my family.

I was wondering if there is anyone who could maybe help me identify them, and give me some kind of value or estimated value.

There were a few more, but they were "run of the mill" types, and not in the best shape.

These are the 2 that I thought were most interesting.

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 919316 View attachment 919317

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with you yakker.My maine collection will stay in maine.I have mine displayed at a local historical society combination library.They are very happy to have it.That way it gets viewed the way it should.No colleges or museums .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread