39.7 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knowing where it came from might help us out a little. It appears to be broken and who knows what the other end would have looked like. It might possibly have been a decorated Pendant. Cool looking piece though.

OP
OP
Jonzer

Jonzer

Feb 12, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Natural Eyeball Pressure
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found it in a cornfield next to Dickson Mounds museum in Fulton County Illinois. It was next to a creek in a mound area. Larson site.

chong2

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2006
El Paso, TX
Detector(s) used
Flippin Stick n good luck :)
so you found Larsons site??? lol i think we are all searching 4 it :P

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
That's one of those pieces where magnification and some use wear analysis can be helpful. If you see polish in the grooves, it might have been a needle/bone sharpener. If there are striations that run perpendicular (across the grooves) it might have been a type of grinding stone (heavy use) or musical/noise device (light use.) Peck marks or impact marks on the end might indication a utilitarian function, etc.

Neat find.

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Easy. That's a fire making device, also known as "bic". I can't put an exact date on it, but would guesstimate early 21st century. I've heard they were in use for quite some time and very popular with the coughing people of the canibus culture. Popular opinion has it that they were descended from earlier artifacts known as matches, and are closely related to the "zippo" people.

Ohhhhhh, you mean the other thing? I'm with the others, it looks like an awl / needle sharpening stone to me also. There are similar examples in a few books, I think Robert Bell's book on Okie artifacts may have a few, will have to check. That's what I've heard them referred to anyways, not sure how accurate it is.

bravowhiskey

Bronze Member
May 29, 2009
Brazos Valley, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Neanderthal said:
Easy. That's a fire making device, also known as "bic". I can't put an exact date on it, but would guesstimate early 21st century. I've heard they were in use for quite some time and very popular with the coughing people of the canibus culture. Popular opinion has it that they were descended from earlier artifacts known as matches, and are closely related to the "zippo" people.

Ohhhhhh, you mean the other thing? I'm with the others, it looks like an awl / needle sharpening stone to me also. There are similar examples in a few books, I think Robert Bell's book on Okie artifacts may have a few, will have to check. That's what I've heard them referred to anyways, not sure how accurate it is.
coughing people of the cannabis culture... :laughing9: what a hoot!

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neanderthal said:

LOL!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread