Any helpful tips on Metal Detecting?

02Knight

Apr 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Start in your own back yard, get to know your detector and then go from there.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Untouched treasure? Ha ha! Good luck! (I'm pulling your leg, you know) Really, it's everywhere. That's why it's called treasure. Parks, old trees, water ways, old homes (inside and outside), gardens, Front lawns (especially under the tree). LOTS of places. Maybe a 12/15 dollar book on the subject of where to hunt is in your future. Troll around this Tnet for the BEST info on what you need. Welcome to the best net. TTC

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would recommend trying to find parks, ball fields or old school yards in the more rural areas. Typically the urban areas have been spanked, in my experience.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a ace 350 about a month ago and took me well over a week to learn the machine ....i dug plenty of garbage untill i understood what the thing was telling me now i can skip most of the trash ....as for parks i agree they have been raped for years its tough finding a good place to hunt i drive tons of miles everyday searching for new locations and so far havent come up with much acouple silver finds here and there but its pretty picked over

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If I'm not mistaken, there's a metal detecting club somewhere around Portland.

dmaki1988

Apr 3, 2012
Gladstone MI
Detector(s) used
Whites VX3
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ive been trying to think of spots were people haven't been, that's pretty unlikely tho, try some wooded areas or maybe around rivers cuz back in the day, thats were people spent there time and a little change here and there.

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am pretty new myself. My first newbie advice would be to practice in your yard, digging any signal you get, maybe even bury a few coins and learn how your detector reacts for each item. It will save you a lot of time from digging pull tabs and nails in the future. I have been on two all day detecting trips with my Ace 250. On my first time I was flat worn out from digging garbage! I spend countless hours practicing around my house, and on the second time I spent all day detecting I was digging mostly coins and cool relics. Learn the settings and tones.

Also work on your digging skills. If you go to a park and dig a big nasty hole and kill the grass, you probably won't be allowed back and may get metal detecting banned all together. You can perfect your digging skills at home and learn to better pinpoint your target and be able to dig a much smaller hole to find it. When I first started, I was digging huge plugs, now its down to just a few inches and I am getting very good at finding the target each time, and when I fill the hole I try to make it look as if there never was a hole in the first place. I just had a discussion with the groundskeeper of the local fairgorunds about this over the weekend. Some guys went metal detecting there a while back and dug big holes, didn't fill them, and left garbage laying around. Luckily he let me detect there, but had discussed with other shareholders over the grounds about having MD banned all together over what the last jerks did. Hopefully after the pristine condition I left the place in, they will consider letting people detect there a little while longer.

ethanmckinley10

Greenie
Dec 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
does anybody know of any good places to metal detect in west linn oregon and/or west linn oregon? You don't have to give all your hotspots away i would just like a couple suggestion spots.
Thanks for the help,
Ethan

Crappies-n-Coins

Bronze Member
Nov 25, 2015
N/W MS
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, DeLeon, Cibola(s), Compadre, Fisher 1265x, Garrett II PinPointer
Primary Interest:
Other
You're posting in a 4 year-old thread.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread