Any ideas on these metal cones?

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20170430_233805.jpg I usually pick up trash too when point hunting and ended up with these. I've seen these before and ignored them. I'm almost sure they are just "tractor trash" of some sort.

Upvote 0

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tinkling cones. Nice find!

A favorite Native American ornament for the past three centuries is a sheet metal trapezoid, rolled into a cone, and attached to knifesheaths, pouches moccasins, or other clothing (Beauchamp 1903). These ornaments are commonly referred to as tinkling cones. In the northeast, tinkling cones were often attatched to leather bags ornamented with embroidery of dyed porcupine quills (Quimby 966). Brass tinkling cones from the 1600’s are even found among the Archaeological Collections of State of Connecticut. Tufts of dyed deer or other fur or feathers were often inserted into metal tinkling cones. In New Netherland in 1650 Native Americans "have long deer's hair which is dyed red, and of which they make rings for the head, and other fine hair of the same color to hang from the neck like tresses, of which they are very proud" (Anonymous 1967). ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1493614342.706971.jpg

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, that's great info. I never would guessed. Thanks much. I almost didn't even ask.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, those are Tinklers and most likely Copper. You need to go back to that site and pick up all of them you see.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take your metal detector with you next time. If those are there then there is likely more trade items waiting to found. Good luck!

tonykidd

Dec 4, 2016
North Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
They also made them out of other types of metal, such as brass or bronze when it was available. There are generally a large number of them in a small area; at least that has been the case in my experience.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find! I knew what they were, and have never been able to find one, even though they were being used by people in that area in historic times. I have some modern ones, as they're still being made and in use today. (Yours are the old ones, though.)

OP
OP
the_mad_cladder

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If not for this forum I woulda scrapped them. Pretty sure these are copper. I have taken my detector with before but not to that particular field. I've tossed several of these cones down in years past.

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that is cool- I've never seen such a thing- good thing you didn't toss em!

ghp95134

Sep 29, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking they are cone arrow points. Saw a few illustrations in some of my NA bow/arrow reference books (e.g., The Encyclopedia of Native American Bows, Arrows and Quivers). I'm attaching an image from the internet.

--Guy

Attachments

• metalpoint2.jpg
    metalpoint2.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 192
  • 14q-55.jpg
    14q-55.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 248

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a couple of copper points I found down here in S.W.Georgia

Attachments

• Lee County Georgia.jpg
    Lee County Georgia.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    Copper point - Lee Co. Ga. (1).jpg
    44 KB · Views: 136

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The points tend to have a tip to them like the ones above and a tinkler will not have the pointed end an most of the time will be flat on the end. nice finds JMO they are tinklers.:headbang:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my part of the country they didn't have the cone arrow points. That would be a pre-contact thing probably, where copper was available, and easily obtained. It would be rolled into a cone because a flat copper arrowhead wouldn't get the job done, I guess. Spiro had copper available from trade, but I haven't seen any arrow points made from it. Copper was pretty valuable in that part of the country, so they probably didn't use it for everyday items. Generally the historic tinklers I've seen have the tips cut off and are made of tin. Today, they make those out of those metal lids from Copenhagen snuff cans. Cool to see these posted.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread