Any ideas on this Half Dollar?

Spartcom5

Feb 2, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay guys earlier i got this bicentennial half dollar searching rolls. When I opened a roll the edge immediately stood out to me as being a 40% but when I pulled it out it ended up being a 1976 bicentennial S mint mark. I looked it up and still have no idea if its silver or not any ideas on what it's worth? My local coin shop said face value but they've lied before. image.jpg
image.jpg

Upvote 0

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The sure fire way to tell is weight - the 40% silver coins weighed 11.50 grams , whereas the clad (no silver) weighed 11.34 grams .
That is a significant enough difference to tell you one way or the other ! Unless the coin has been absolutely mutilated by abrasion
you'll pick up the difference in weight . Another sure fire way to tell - take a hand full of no silver halves - throw the questionable
coin in with them and shake them around, you'll hear a jingle different from the klink of cupro nickel- if it's a silver clad or 40%.

ugotit22

Bronze Member
Dec 26, 2007
The Dirty Shire
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, and Whites IDX Pro
Huh. The coin guy told me no silver at all. And told me 50 cents. I saw somewhere thy made these in nickel clad with no silver at all. I'm confused really whats it worth anyone?

It's a forty prevent percenter .worth $2.little over

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
that definitely looks like a 40%er. congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread