Any information on my 1st arrowhead found in central NJ ? (thanks)

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
White's IDX Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Hello everyone!

I mainly metal detect but ALWAYS had my eyes open for indian artifacts mostly arrowheads while growing up. I was metal detecting along a decent size river in central NJ and finally found my first arrowhead on the bank of the river, besides knowing that the Lenape indians were in these parts, I don't know anything about this arrowhead besides that it looks in pretty decent shape. If anyone can tell some specifics on this one it would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance :icon_thumleft: .

TommNJ

Attachments

• arrowhead sides.JPG
    arrowhead sides.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,018
Upvote 0

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point Tommj 8-) these beauties are called turkey tails according to some members .. found a similar one made by a native American from same tribe , Leni Lenape or Delawares

dawg
12-5-11.JPG

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a jacks reef or a perkiomen point?

ForumRunner_20120713_130311.png

ForumRunner_20120713_130334.png

Johnathan Griswold

OP
OP
TommNJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Thanks dawg thats a nice one too! And thanks for the info, I grew up in the Watchung Mountains (Warren Twnsp), I couldn't afford a McMansion so I moved up to Warren County a while ago, I understand some the Lenape lived in the mountains during the winter and headed down to the Sand Hook area in the summer. I spent alot time in the woods as a kid but with the ground cover and leaves it was hard to find any artifacts but you never know.

Thanks birdpointgriswold! I guess I better learn my arrowheads, nice book!

TommNJ

birdpointgriswold

May 23, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TommNJ said:
Thanks dawg thats a nice one too! And thanks for the info, I grew up in the Watchung Mountains (Warren Twnsp), I couldn't afford a McMansion so I moved up to Warren County a while ago, I understand some the Lenape lived in the mountains during the winter and headed down to the Sand Hook area in the summer. I spent alot time in the woods as a kid but with the ground cover and leaves it was hard to find any artifacts but you never know.

Thanks birdpointgriswold! I guess I better learn my arrowheads, nice book!

TommNJ

No prob man you can learn a ton up here!

Johnathan Griswold

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super nice stemmed atlatl point. Congratulations! :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point Tommj 8-) these beauties are called turkey tails according to some members .. found a similar one made by a native American from same tribe , Leni Lenape or Delawares

dawg
View attachment 653496

I hate to say it but that point looks modern in every way. It was made to look like a Dovetail!!...................Turkey tails are very different as you can see from the Turkey Tail point here and there are two other types................GTP 017turkeytail_x802599.jpg

Last edited:

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have a Jasper Kirk point there. it is not a Turkey-tail(none have ever been found in Jersey). Atlatl dart point is not it either. I have hunted Jersey most of my life and have a good grasp on types there. It comes through extensive research into lithics and point typology. Stemmed atlatl dart points have no pronounced shoulders like that. Kind of look like a stringtown blade but much smaller....................Hope this helps ya.......nice find!!!!...............GTP(Chris)

Last edited:

Edmundruffin

Aug 17, 2010
West Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Groundhawk for metal, eyeballs for stone
You are out of my area of exposure, you have a uniface point. The point is made using the shape of the spall (flake) to skip the biface process. It is not a turkey tail. Late archaic to early woodland.

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
You are out of my area of exposure, you have a uniface point. The point is made using the shape of the spall (flake) to skip the biface process. It is not a turkey tail. Late archaic to early woodland.

agree

OP
OP
TommNJ

TommNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2008
NW NJ
Detector(s) used
Thanks everyone for your time and comments! I see there is ALOT to learn about the arrowheads and appreciate everyone sharing their knowledge on the subject :icon_thumleft: !

TommNJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread