any luck with small caves?

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sort of new to the artifact scenee. Had a stint a few years ago, found a few good points and pottery chards, and I just now jumping back into it. Found a couple good spots on my own that nobody hunts, got a few good points and a scraper, maybe even a nut stone? Of course the wheels are turning now and I'm trying to think of all the ideas I've mulled around all these years for finding artifacts (or any other form of treasure for that matter) . I'm one of those guys with the wacky ideas that miss a lot but hit big sometimes. On my list of ideas is a little cave on the edge of a holler, close to a bluff line in some hill country. It's about 8 feet front to back, 3-4ft wide, prob 5 foot tall. It has a dirt floor but if I remember right, it's elevated a few feet so should have a solid bottom of some sort. Has anyone ever tried sifting out floors of caves? I mean I'm gonna do it some day no doubt, just looking for a little input or encouraging finds. Thanks! And I'll be posting my new finds tomorrow. I especially want to get a second opinion on my possible nut stone.

Upvote 0

Chris in BC

Mar 19, 2003
Langley
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Keene 5" dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nut stone? sounds painful,,, what your describing would be awesome to try out, cave of that size would be perfect to spend a night or two in while out hunting, funny thing about any treasure, you'll find it where it is.

OP
OP
R

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know funny thing right haha. I think a meant a nutting stone, or cup stone. Might even be an anvil, not sure

Last edited:

outlawatheart

Jan 19, 2011
Hamilton County IL.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX Spectrum
My rule of thumb is if you think you could use it to shelter in for a while then so did any prior peoples. Usually has to be big enough to stay a while in for there to be any amount of artifacts, but ya never know. I always check the drip edge first there's usually tell tale signs not to deep. If ya find material in the cave then be sure to check the creek too. Its always best to get permission if its not your land, but that's your choice. Check your laws digging rocks aint worth the fines. But on a good note some awesome stuff comes from shelters. Its hard work but worth when ya find something. Good luck man!!!

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No doubt outlaw got it right sounds like you should go get started haha I would and good luck ;)

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cave or rock shelter? :dontknow: Huge difference according to the laws. I have actual registered caves and pits and then I have rock shelters. Make sure you know the laws in your area…… It sounds like a shelter to me not a cave..

Not being a downer but better smart and free then dumb and in jail.

OP
OP
R

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some of my recent field finds, still don't have a pic of that nutting stone but will soon.
ForumRunner_20140131_204542.png

Funny story behind this broken point: My cousin and I were walking the edge of a creek where a farmer ripped the trees out with a trackhoe, and in the middle if saying "yeah he's pretty much ruined this-hey!" And there it was, haha. Pushing those out may have stirred up some goodies.

Anybody know the story behind the groove on this sweet felt I found today? I didn't know if it served a purpose . First celt BTW!

ForumRunner_20140131_204842.png

About this thing... I was nosing around in the woods above a creek I have been hunting the other side of (plowed field on opposite side) and found this rock, 20lb sandstone. The groove caught my eye, then I realized it's almost identical to the groove in the celt I found today. It looks almost as if it's ground out, with a fade at both ends. Is there a chance it was used for sharpening bone or something? keep in mind there is a plethora of sandstone boulders and such in the area so it's not necessarily out of place
ForumRunner_20140131_204842.png

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20140131_204734.png
    ForumRunner_20140131_204734.png
    178.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
OP
OP
R

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh forgot to say thanks for the word on the bluff situation! Still on the list, will definitely post an update on that when I get to it

OP
OP
R

roberthathaway7

Greenie
Nov 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple more pics to show the size of that point and how thin it is. Fine craftsmanship, could have been nice!

ForumRunner_20140131_213520.png

ForumRunner_20140131_213352.png

painterx7

Silver Member
Jul 20, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's a great piece even broke boss thanks for sharing ;)

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As far as caves and shelters go I would check it out. Dig some test holes around the exterior, and don't forget to check all the pockets and holes in the walls. A spring or water source nearby would be a plus. Check out Treefrogs posts and you will see what could be available. Digging is hard but rewarding! Good Luck!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread