Any luck?

RandyTheKid

Mar 16, 2018
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I want people's honest opinions. Do you think it would be a waste of time to go under an old house and drag dirt out to sift? The house is from the 1800s. My dad keeps telling me it would be a waste of time to get up under there. He doesn't think anything would be up under there. What's your opinion and have you ever found anything up under a house?

fyrffytr1

Gold Member
Mar 5, 2010
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If there is room to crawl under the house there is room to swing a detector. people would store stuff under the house especially near the access.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Yes, all the old coins i have ever found were in the center of old house remains . guess alot of coins and such fell through the gaps in the floors. I have heard story's of old women sweeping dirt down through the cracks in there kitchens floors so i guess any thing but the house cat could have fallen through.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The XP Deus is a great machine to use for detecting under structures. You just strap the control unit to your arm and use the lower shaft and coil to detect. I learned this from a fellow MDer who resides in South Carolina. When I was 11 and 12 I used to crawl under old houses before demo. I pulled some cool bottles and food tins, probably tossed by the builders back in the 1800s as well as cat, rat, and mouse dehydrated carcasses.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sure, there could be stuff under there. Bottles, coins, Black Widows, Brown Recluses, snakes, rodents, possums, skunks, bees, planaria, lot's of animal droppings. Do yourself a favor and wear a Tyvek suit and dust mask. Have fun!

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I once crawled under my grandma’s house through the cellar crawl space. I was 15.

Didn’t sift for coins, but found some great old bottles, including an amber Paine’s Celery Compound, and an aqua Kennedy’s New Medical Discovery. Love those old snake oil medicines!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread