Any negatives on the ACE 250 ??????????

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
I am almost ready to buy one and wondered if there was anything unlikeable!!!!
All reviews seem fantastic and I was wondering about any faults. I currently have an older Radio Shack Discovery 2000 and I'm not always confident in its ability. The Garrett ACE250 seems like a logical choice and definitely within my price range. I have many old locations I'm searching and feel that there are treasures left behind. Just would like some last minute feedback!!!!
Appreciate all comments
Thanks, Greg

Upvote 0

Frog66

Apr 3, 2005
San Antonio, TX
I really haven't heard anything bad on the 250. There is a guy that sells them for 199.00 for the detector and bonuses. He also charges NO SHIPPING!

I bought two of them today and he (Sean) was a pleasure to work with! If you don't want to buy off of Ebay, let me know and I'll get his phone number for you!

Sincerely,
Kim :)

OP
OP
gregl01

gregl01

Apr 19, 2005
land of the free-taxed to death
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Nokta Fors CoRe
He is who I probably will buy from. I'm watching his auctions on Ebay. I'm glad to know someone has had good luck with this seller. Thank You!!!
Greg

P

Pooley

Kellycodetectors.com has the same offer on the ACE250, $199 plus free shipping and bonus items. Getting ready to purchase one myself

desmobob

Apr 10, 2005
upstate NY -- Lake George region
Detector(s) used
XP Dēus, White's DFX, Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greg,

I really don't have any complaints at all with mine. The controls are well thought out and convenient, it is very light weight, and it works extremely well. To ask for any more features at that price would just not be right!

The one little thing I thought it was missing was a volume control in case you wanted to use headphones, but you can just get headphones with volume controls on the earcups....

Good hunting,
desmobob

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
the ace 250 is a great machine and i own one but any low dollar machine will have its shortcomings. it has a set ground balance on it instead of an adjustable one which in most cases isnt a big deal,but in heavily minerilized soil or in salt water sand it could give false signals.it probably doesnt detect as deep as some of the other more expensive detectors although i have found pennies at 8 inches with mine.i wish the target id was a little more accurate...not that it is bad mind you (this thing is deadly accurate on quarter signals). in case you cant tell i am really thinking hard to find negative stuff about this detector! if you buy one you will love it without a doubt! for the money it is an unbelievable detector.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got mine on eBay from the same guys that Kim did, and I love the machine and the deal I got on it. The only "negative" I have found with this machine is the lack of volume control on the ACE Sport Headphones that came with it, so I hot the local dealer and got a pair of Vanco dual volume control headphones for $24.99, and problem solved! You're upgrading from a machine similar to my old one, a BH Pioneer 101, and you will find the difference to be like night and day. It's a really great machine, and for $200, you can't beat it's value. I personally will skip the fancy screen displays and save the extra $300 to $500 you would pay for a higher line detector, at least for now, anyway. A GTI or GTAX may be in my future, but it's the distant future! Good luck, and I hope to see you posting cool finds soon!!

strawbfan

Sep 4, 2003
Utica NY
Detector(s) used
Mnelab Safari ,Garrett Ace250
the only thing I don`t like is where the headphone jack is,I`m used to them being on the left hand side the 250 is on the right.Other than that it`s great.

A

Arthur

Re: First time out!

Yesterday was out MD for 1 1/2 hr.Picked up 48 coins no silver.Picked up a Mexican 20C coin,[centavo]Real bright color like gold. Sure it's not ,maybe brass?? no picture no camera.? Also went to thrift store and found two pr. knee pads ,? Onr pr .29c and other 50cents like new. Have a white 6000D about 25 yrs. old. Have considered retiring itand getting Ace 250?? What's opinions?
Only thing the pin pointer doesn't work so have to do a dance with coil.

A

aj_chicago

Got mine from the same guy. Love it! The two things that irritate me (a little) about it are:

1 - the headphones they ship with it are cheap and have no volume control. They work fine, but it's so loud you may lose some hearing using them. I have kids following me in playgrounds listening to the beeps and showing me where to dig...with the headphones on!

2 - pinpointing is accurate, but sometimes you need to back off and re-push the button and re-swipe the spot a number of times because the tone just gets "squelched out" to silence or near silence (for lack of a better term). Does anyone else have this problem? Sure would like to know. I am used to doing it, but it is a little annoying at times. It's as if the Pinpoint button doesn't work, or make a good positive contact at times. Sometimes I hear a faint tone, sometimes no tone, most of the time and when it finally works, a really solid tone with plenty of volume. Hope someone answers me here. If not I may post that as a separate thread to the 250 owners.

Other than those minor irritants it's a great machine for coins! Haven't done much other hunting. Did go after and find an old square, blacksmithed nail at a site in Indiana that had remnants of old, old, farm outbuildings. Found an old hinge pin, too. Didn't keep it. Kinda kicking myself in the butt for that.

Mega

Feb 28, 2005
Virginia
AJ, are you pushing pinpoint when over the target ? If so you need to come up and over about 2" away from your target and then hit pinpoint. Hitting pinpoint over the target will cause it to null out.

HOPE that will help ya. :)

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mega is rgiht on that. When I have a target under the coil, I will swing it back 3 or 4 " to the side of the target, hit pinpoint, and sweep back over the target. Hitting pinpoint while directly over the target causes the pinpoint signal to null out, as Mega said. Hope that helps. Also, with the ACE headphones - go to a local dealer and pickup a pair of dual volume control headphones. I got some for $24.99 - makes a big difference (I accidently stepped on my ACE phones - last time I take them off my head while digging, lol!!

Mega

Feb 28, 2005
Virginia
keep an eye on the tech talk forum. Look for 250 headphone mod, i should have the update ready by tuesday night. Just might come in handy for some of you. :)

A

aj_chicago

Mega (et al), I have seen that advice about "nulling out" if starting directly over the target posted before and it does seem to be the case by my experience, too, but no, it seems to me I can start left or right of it (just like the 500 times I did the same thing and it worked fine) and sometimes I can hear a very faint and "quicker" beep as I sweep over it with pinpoint held, as compared to the normal "ear blaster". Sometimes nothing. It seems to me that I need to sweep it again without the pinpoint button being held, get a good bell tone, then try to pinpoint again and it works. I ALWAYS finally get it to work, but have to play around occasionally. Why is it that starting directly over it doesn't work, anyway? Actually, I just went and tested, because something was telling me that it DOES work starting directly over a target, and it does for me most of the time, but not always (unpredictable results). I just tested out back with a quarter on the ground. Sometimes it works good, sometimes I get a quicker, shorter tone and need to be right on top if it to get the tone (IE: starts only when right on top of the target and ends abruptly when not right on top of the target), and sometimes it just plain DON'T work at all. But, if I do start from a foot away I generally get a good tone that gets increasingly louder as the coil approaches until the target is pinpointed. I say "generally" because that's why I'm asking. Once in a while, following the same pinpointing process in the field that I just got done doing a hundred times (at least I think so), I can't get it to lock into the good pinpointing tone unless I play with it. I'm wondering if it's just me, if it's just the way the way all detectors with pinpoint work, if it's just the way all Ace's work, if it's something else close by interfering, or if mine has a little problem. It's a small nuisance I can live with, but just wondering if that's the way it's supposed to work. I don't call myself a "rookie" for nothin'!

alabamadan

May 2, 2005
Dixie
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Whew! I ordered on from Kellycodetectors.com Friday. The chick on the phone helped me pick it out as they had three all for $199. It comes with accessories. I sprung the extra few bucks for the coil cover.

R

rusty nails

Because of "the crappy weather" in Ohio I have only been out of my backyard twice with my Garrett ACE 250 ........ I have found everything from bullets to dimes - this machine really digs deep - set on 1/2 the sensitivity I have no problems going 8+ down ..... The ease of switching back and forth of the buttons is a real plus , the pinpointing is pretty accurate , it weighs like 2 lbs ....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread