Any new detectorist in the Philippines

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Central Luzon, Philippines
Detector(s) used
Blood, sweat and tears of my nation's forebears
Hi there. I'm in the PI. I live here in Central Luzon. Where are you located in the neck of the woods?
Just recently decided to relic hunt with my Ex II. Still getting the hang of it. Would be nice to organize a club or group for this great hobby here in the PI.

Dan

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
I saw in an earlier post of yours you had the chance to coinshoot in Subic. Did SBMA give you a hardtime detecting? I'm thinking of doing the same in Clark? ANy tips on how to convince authorities to allow you to detect? Much obliged.

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Hey there! Is this for real, someone besides me is actually doing this kind of hobby here in our country ;D

I'm located here in Metro Manila, where in Central Luzon are you from?

I would have to agree on the "organize a club" thing here in the Philippines since we have a good history with the Spanish and Japanese occupation.

Yep I did clark before with a Garrett detector, hmmm.... never had any issues with them. I hope they don't give us a hard time since its only a freaking metal detector, it's not like we're gonna dig up a deep depp hole on the ground >:(

I wanna do schools like UP Diliman, UST and San Beda in Mendiola. Might have to secure permits from the school admins though.

Well I do hope to here from you soon and set up a hunt!

HH

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
I'm here in Angeles City. About 5 mins from Clark. Just recently took up the hobby, inheriting my Explorer II from my dad. Just thought of the huge parade grounds of clark, where there's a lot of history. Plus the couple of old schools that I know existed during the American period after the war. Might be a good place for coinshooting.

Those schools you mentioned would be great places to coinshoot too. But you're right permits would have to be secured first.

Right now I'm practicing on my exII before heading out into the field. I'm still trying to decide which ID I would be better off: tone ID, discrim ID, digital ID. Would be nice if I would master all 3. By the way, do you use any pinpointer attached to your rig?

Anyway, do keep in touch. Ciao

Dan

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Btw how long have you been coinshooting? You sound like a pretty experinced guy. I'm just a newbie really. Just in case you want to contact me thru my email [email protected]. Name's Dan. Looking forward to doing stuff with you someday. Thanks and God bless.

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Wow! I hope I can inherit a machine like the Explorer!

By the way are you Filipino or Fil-American? Do you speak tagalog?

I also read you post and you seem to be a serious THer with all the other detectors you have. It also seems you found that thead to the
YA$&%&TA treasure which I find really entertaining ;D

I started detecting in 2005 back in California, nothing serious, just plain old metal detecting. My original detector was a Garrett GTP1300 + an Automax pinpointer.

Sold my Garrett to this guy in NY and bought an X-Terra 70 which is now my main detector. With the Minelab I do believe that I've doubled my finds and I can decide better if I wanna dig or not.

I'm definitely looking forward to do some MDing with you and keep in touch bro!

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
I'm a full-blooded Pinoy. Born and raised in the islands. Those are my dad's stuff. He's retired and tired. The md has been with me for almost a year and just recently finished reading the book by Andy Sabisch about mastering the ExII. Fascinating machine. Gets the guesswork out of the MDing. Anyway, do keep in touch and happy new year.

Numinen

Dec 30, 2007
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium Coils 3X7, 8" Mono, 10" x 14" DD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Komusta
I´m Swede living in Sweden but my wife is Bicolana and we plan to go for visit 2009 & I plan taking a terra 70 with me to Bicol as this forum has made me interested in detekting & I love the Philippine Coins both US & Spanish era.
I like to know is there any problems bringing my detector to philippines do I need to get any permission for the custom office or?
We do have our own land where I can detect I guess I wont need any permission for that;-)

Do you have any fotos online on foundings you done to share?

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Nice to hear from you Numinen!!!

So far I don't think you need to inform them or declare that you have a metal detector if you plan to visit the Philippines. I have brought my first detector here from California. I just took it apart and checked-in the luggage, I can't recall though if I included the control box in my carry-on luggage.

But my second detector which was the Terra-70 was also checked-in with the control box and it went through customs again with out any problems or issues. If you do just explain to them that its just a coin detector and that its a hobby of yours back in Sweden. But I pretty confident that you wont encounter any problems.

About owning you own land, I guess the only permission you need for that is from your wife and how to split the finds ;D

HH!!!

Oh here are some of my finds

From Boracay, a famous beach resort
borafindsqy1.jpg

From a sunken garden
sunkenfni1.jpg

munti0525qm3.jpg

Calling Dred747!!!
Bro any chance you can post your finds there in Clark ;)

Numinen

Dec 30, 2007
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Komusta & Nice to hear from you heavymetal
Sounds good for me as you had NP getting your detector thru the customs;-)
Did you just come back to phil from US?
I wish I was there now it´s to da_ cold here:-(
Mabe we can meet next year when we come there;-)

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mabuhay Numinem. Sorry heavymetal was out the whole day.

I haven't had the chance to coinshoot in Clark yet. I'm still asking around if they allow such activity. No feedback yet. I've spotted a few places that would be good places to hunt:

1. The Parade Ground - it's been here since 1910; used by the Americans, then the Japanese, then the Americans, then the Filipinos
2. The Barn Houses - its next to the parade ground; Generals and Colonels have used these since 1910. Now its occupied by an airline ticketing office, restaurants, coffee shops, a gym, a day care center
3. Three parks - Bicentennial Park, Horeseback Park, AirForce City Park
4. Dau Checkpoint - this was the main entrance to Clark from the beginning up until they transferred the main gate to the present location in 1957
5. Main HQ Building - This was constructed before the WWII but hit pretty hard when the Americans came to take back Clark
6. There are several 50 to 90-year old trees mostly acacias.
7. Lilly Hill - where they discovered a buried Japanese Zero in the 1950's. It overlooks most of Clark.

I'll be talking to the Clark Museum Curator next week and hopefully get his quasi-official approval to any future coin hunts. I'm pretty sure he's going to ask what we will do if we find something interesting like a belt buckle, buttons of cavalry, etc.. I'll think of something but I'm pretty sure if its for future tourism purposes he will definitely lend me an ear or two.

Numinem when is your scheduled trip this year to the Philippines?

Numinen

Dec 30, 2007
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi dred747
we wont be coming until summer 2009 for a month as our daughters School wacation & ours are only fitting ewery third year:-(

Most of the time will be in Bicol & we have to go to Bataan for 2 days but I hope to get 2 days in Manilla before that!

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Numinen said:
Did you just come back to phil from US?

Yep I just got back 2006. I worked there for 3 years, it was a good experience :)

Mabe we can meet next year when we come there;-)

Hey I'm looking forward to that and I do hope we have more visitors coming in who are also into this hobby ;)

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
dred747 said:
Mabuhay Numinem. Sorry heavymetal was out the whole day.

I haven't had the chance to coinshoot in Clark yet. I'm still asking around if they allow such activity. No feedback yet. I've spotted a few places that would be good places to hunt:

1. The Parade Ground - it's been here since 1910; used by the Americans, then the Japanese, then the Americans, then the Filipinos
2. The Barn Houses - its next to the parade ground; Generals and Colonels have used these since 1910. Now its occupied by an airline ticketing office, restaurants, coffee shops, a gym, a day care center
3. Three parks - Bicentennial Park, Horeseback Park, AirForce City Park
4. Dau Checkpoint - this was the main entrance to Clark from the beginning up until they transferred the main gate to the present location in 1957
5. Main HQ Building - This was constructed before the WWII but hit pretty hard when the Americans came to take back Clark
6. There are several 50 to 90-year old trees mostly acacias.
7. Lilly Hill - where they discovered a buried Japanese Zero in the 1950's. It overlooks most of Clark.

I'll be talking to the Clark Museum Curator next week and hopefully get his quasi-official approval to any future coin hunts. I'm pretty sure he's going to ask what we will do if we find something interesting like a belt buckle, buttons of cavalry, etc.. I'll think of something but I'm pretty sure if its for future tourism purposes he will definitely lend me an ear or two.

Wow !!! Your lucky to have those hunting spots right there :o

Now you got me thinking of going to Clark to do some MD ;D

I wonder if I can MD in Luneta, I was able to MD in front of the Luneta Grandstand but I'm not sure around Rizal Park :-\

I'll open up a thread about finds this 2008 Philippines.

BTW have you seen "tagasilay" around here? He is also from the Philippines and I remember seeing a post from him about this bomb he found using his two-box detector. Can't wait to find something like that ;D

HH!!!

dred747

Dec 25, 2007
Detector(s) used
I've been wondering how one quotes a post and includes it within his message? Can you teach me how to do that?

Clark is a historic place. Probably lots of relics just waiting to be found. But a bomb? I don't think I'd like to be anywhere near those things. :o My dad has a two-box design but it needs some fixing up. Heard that it detects really deep metals.

Great time would probably be around a weekend in February to coincide with the Hot Air Balloon Festival. By that time I'll probably get the hang of my ExII. At least if you plan to bring along the kids and the missus they have something to do while we hunt for coins probably even some relics.

Btw, are you Pinoy, Fil-Am or an American? I'll try to look for tagatalisay. He might be interested too.

Numinen

Dec 30, 2007
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dred747 said:
I've been wondering how one quotes a post and includes it within his message? Can you teach me how to do that?

Clark is a historic place. Probably lots of relics just waiting to be found. But a bomb? I don't think I'd like to be anywhere near those things. :o My dad has a two-box design but it needs some fixing up. Heard that it detects really deep metals.

Great time would probably be around a weekend in February to coincide with the Hot Air Balloon Festival. By that time I'll probably get the hang of my ExII. At least if you plan to bring along the kids and the missus they have something to do while we hunt for coins probably even some relics.

Btw, are you Pinoy, Fil-Am or an American? I'll try to look for tagatalisay. He might be interested too.

Just Click on quote to the right of the topic title & there you go nothing hard to do;-)

Numinen

Dec 30, 2007
Earth
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi heavymetal

It would be fun to see thouse coins after they are cleaned!!

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
Numinen said:
Hi heavymetal

It would be fun to see thouse coins after they are cleaned!!

You know what Numinen thats the one thing I never learned to do right.

I'm gonna do a search on it then 8)

OP
OP
heavymetal

heavymetal

Nov 10, 2005
SEA - Philippines
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
dred747 said:

No problemo on the quotes there dred!!! On my post you should see the subject of the post on the middle part of the screen. Now on the right side of the subject you should see the quote button, just click on it and your all set!

Pinoy na pinoy - 100% ;)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread