Any of you point hunters knap your own also?

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i,Whites DFX, Whites TRX, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Trooper733

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Got some good stuff from a new friend on here and some other flakes I had ordered of novaculite, obsidian, and other heat treated chert. Looking forward to trying my hand

OP
OP
Trooper733

Trooper733

Apr 3, 2013
Eastern Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Also, Going to the river tomorrow, if I find any ill post pics

T.C.

Bronze Member
May 17, 2012
Kalamity Falls, Orygun
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was a youtube video I watched a while back. A young man was knapping obsidian. He was an absolute joy to watch. He used rocks and deer horn. He is a natural....I just wished I could remember his name. You might Google arrowhead knapping and find him that way. Guaranteed, watching him is worth the effort searching the net.:thumbsup:
Thanks for the responses and PM's I look forward to learning this ancient craft. I will post some of my efforts when I get that far.
KingsKid, Knapping is the using of tools to make arrowheads, spear points, knives, etc from chert, flint, obsidian and other substrates that will fracture in a conchoidal pattern to flake to a certain shape. Did I do the definition justice guys?

I have hunted and collected points and tools for many years, and have always wanted to learn to make my own and have just gotten to a point where I can devote the time.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had planned on taking a deer with a stone point then dressing it with a flake tool. Got down to the wire and could not mess around. Used modern tools.

craigthetree

May 6, 2013
Hello I am new I live in Bucks Pa I have some raw flint stones i found at a site I was wondering how long it takes to learn and were would I get sone for it would not use these sentimental I send some phons been exploring 39 years in the area William Penn settled near hear

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see you are from eastern Oklahoma, Crag Ratzat is in Quapaw , Ok and he has A flintknapping supply house. Neolithics I saw him at the North Ga. Knappin and he has a tremendous supply of rock. If he is close enough you may want to go over and see what he has.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread