Any Rockhounds/fossilhounds near the Goldsboro, NC area?

LookN4pnts

Greenie
Dec 30, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in Raleigh. I'd be interested in finding fossils but haven't never done it.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 LTD, Deteknix Scuba Tector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LookN4pnts said:
I live in Raleigh. I'd be interested in finding fossils but haven't never done it.

I lived in Raleigh for several years back in the mid nineties. I never found any fossils there, but there is a place off of Hwy 98 heading toward Wake Forest where there were garnets to be found. They were not the best quality though. I don't recall the exact location, but I would go up Six Forks Rd, take a right on 98 and it was before you reached US 1 (Capital Blvd). It was a place on the left (north) side of the road where it slopes down from when they cut through for hwy 98. It is like a rocky area. I still have some garnets that I got there back in 93-94. Here in Goldsboro, I have found sharks teeth at a couple sand pits in the area. Also, there is a deep cut creek outside of town that has shell fossils and sharks teeth, reportedly Mastadon teeth too. Soon, my sons and I are going to do some digging/sifting and see if we can come up with some teeth. Bryan

1badtacoma

Aug 21, 2005
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 250
i know exactly where you are talking about in wake forest, its right on the hwy, i used to go by there for work and saw someone there almost everytime i went by.

i like hunting for fossils a friend of mine took me this past summer now I'm hooked, just waiting for it to warm up again.
there are a few places along the tar river and where i went, fishing creek.
also there is a very popular place in greenville called green mill run. google it, a ladie put directions to it online and exactly where to go.
try going to fossilsites.com

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1badtacoma said:
i know exactly where you are talking about in wake forest, its right on the hwy, i used to go by there for work and saw someone there almost everytime i went by.

i like hunting for fossils a friend of mine took me this past summer now I'm hooked, just waiting for it to warm up again.
there are a few places along the tar river and where i went, fishing creek.
also there is a very popular place in greenville called green mill run. google it, a ladie put directions to it online and exactly where to go.
try going to fossilsites.com

Thanks alot for the info. My sons and I love to hunt fossils. You don't happen to know a fella who was a Stantonsburg police officer several years ago and is now a Wayne County Sherrif do you? I went metal detecting about 7 or 8 years ago with him at an old house outside of Stantonsburg. Bryan

1badtacoma

Aug 21, 2005
Wilson, NC
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Garrett Ace 250
your welcome, sorry i dont know the guy. by the way have you built a sifter yet? i made a floating sifter out of pvc it works really good and its light weight. let me know if you would like more info on it.

OP
OP
Gilligan

Gilligan

Bronze Member
Sep 23, 2007
Seymour Johnson AFB, NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1badtacoma said:
your welcome, sorry i dont know the guy. by the way have you built a sifter yet? i made a floating sifter out of pvc it works really good and its light weight. let me know if you would like more info on it.

Sure, more info would be great on the sifter. I saw a Nat Geo program recently and the archeologists were using a sifter. It was a typical square sifter box, but it had 2 legs that were hinged on top of each side, so that they could rock it back and forth. Pretty cool. Anyway, I hope to get out soon to a creek near us that is cut at the bottom of this ravine. I have been told that sharks teeth, the big mastadon teeth have been found there. My son and I walked it and found a 1" tooth. Pretty cool to be able to find sharks teeth in Goldsboro. We also hit a couple sand pits off hwy 111 south and found alot of smaller tiger shark teeth. Have you found any fossils near Statonsburg?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread