Which one will be the best

austin82

Mar 26, 2014
Good ole' Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm new to metal detecting and have been doing some research on different underwater models. I will mostly be doing river bottoms and freshwater lakes in my area with an occasional trip to the texas coast. I'm stuck between the tesoro tiger shark, the sand shark and the Garrett sea hunter. I understand that PI machines are the best in the wet sand but how do they do in the freshwater muddy bottoms. I'm wondering what would be the best all around detector out of those 3. Thanks

Upvote 0

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to metal detecting and have been doing some research on different underwater models. I will mostly be doing river bottoms and freshwater lakes in my area with an occasional trip to the texas coast. I'm stuck between the tesoro tiger shark, the sand shark and the Garrett sea hunter. I understand that PI machines are the best in the wet sand but how do they do in the freshwater muddy bottoms. I'm wondering what would be the best all around detector out of those 3. Thanks

I hear great things about the Tesoro models, as far the power you get for the price, and you can't beat a lifetime warranty. Mr. Soloman may be able to elaborate on the difference between the Sand and Tiger, in regards to freshwater performance.

Last edited:

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The TIGER Shark is a FRESHWATER machine, built for freshwater lakes rivers and streams. It is a single frequency VLF machine."P.I.," or pulse induction machines (unlike VLF) cannot "discriminate" or filter out iron - they beep on EVERYTHING.

In SALTWATER, and on wet saltwater sand, single-frequency VLF machines lose depth and stability due to the high conductivity and can false and chatter. That is why most hunters use Pulse Induction or Multi-Frequency VLF machines at the beach.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The TIGER Shark is a FRESHWATER machine, built for freshwater lakes rivers and streams. It is a single frequency VLF machine."P.I.," or pulse induction machines (unlike VLF) cannot "discriminate" or filter out iron - they beep on EVERYTHING.

In SALTWATER, and on wet saltwater sand, single-frequency VLF machines lose depth and stability due to the high conductivity and can false and chatter. That is why most hunters use Pulse Induction or Multi-Frequency VLF machines at the beach.

So would you recommend the Tiger to him, as he stated the majority of use will be in freshwater, with its included "Salt mode" for said trips to saltwater?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends. If he is DIVING in freshwater 90-percent of the time then the Tiger Shark (waterproof to 200-feet) is a great choice. If he is just wading and will stay in less than 10-feet of water, I would say maybe the Garrett AT Pro would also be a good choice. If he is going to a saltwater beach just a couple of times a year then stick to the dry sand where ANY single-frequency VLF detector will get the job done. If he has the money, get a Tesoro Sand Shark for the wet saltwater sand and water, and a Tiger Shark for his freshwater needs. If he can only afford one machine and is young and doesn't mind digging it all - all the time, then just get a PI and pick up a cheaper VLF for the dirt.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet! If you're going to do any salt water hunts, you'll want the Sand Shark over the Tiger Shark for the reasons Terry mentioned. The Sand Shark is a good choice, but, just about any name brand PI machine works good too so price, features, and feel are important in your choices. If you're diving, one might handle better than if you're wading or hunting a beach. If you can go to a local detecting shop and try a few, that will help. If you're in an area where there is a lot of junk targets (hard to find places that aren't anymore!), you may want to check out some multi-frequency machines like the Excalibur, or CTX3030. If you just need one for fresh water, the AT Pro is another option if you hunt in 10' or shallower water. It will work in salt water too but not as well.

OP
OP
A

austin82

Mar 26, 2014
Good ole' Texas
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for all the advice. I will be diving local lakes and river bottoms in my area. There are plenty of swimming holes around here where people lose stuff. I appreciate the advice and I will start looking for a tiger shark. Maybe I'll get lucky and find a deal on one. Thanks again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread