Any tips on door knocking?

Coin catcher

Mar 14, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys! I hope everyone is being safe with all this going on in the world! I have been thinking, and I want to start door knocking when this all over. I have only detected on public parks and sidewalks, and I want to try something new. I was just wondering if any of you guys had any tips on getting permission to hunt private property. Thanks!

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Knock on door. Take 3 steps back so your not right in their face when they open it. Dress appropriately, speak clearly and tell them what you do for a hobby. I also hand them a business card that I have had made up, as I'm talking, and this helps. Do not tell them you are there to find old coins and jewelry. Tell them you are interested in history and are looking for anything old, like toys, tokens, relics, etc. Ask them if they have any history on their home - when was it built ? Etc. Tell them you are not there to dig any huge holes, and invite them out to see the type of plug you will dig. Keep it small and use a piece of cardboard or a towel to put the extra dirt on. Replace all dirt and tamp down the plug to help keep their yard looking nice. I have a 95 % success rate at door knocking. If they refuse, just thank them for their time and move on to the house next door. If the second home owner allows you on their property, chances are the first home owner will change their mind, and invite you back over. I have had this happen on a few occasions. Good luck, and oh yes, when you are talking to them, look them right in the eye. This helps to make you look honest, and not "shady".

OP
OP
C

Coin catcher

Mar 14, 2020
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the advice!

guardez

Apr 19, 2014
SEMO
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 540 Pro Pack ,Tesoro DeLeon, Outlaw, Compadre,
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Key Words

Ask them. Can I "try out" my metal detector in your yard, lot, etc. These words are very effective, they are non confrontational. Always step way back after you knock on the door. If the answer is no, thank them and then say that I did not want to trespass on anyone's property. If you get permission, share any clad, pennies, nickels etc. with the kids if any are present. If it is an older person, and they watch you from the porch, take a break, set on the steps, and talk about the weather, gardening, the past. You will be surprised how many other doors, and places this will open. Show them what you have found, (within reason) and offer to share. You can leverage this permission with the neighbors. "Mr. Jones let my try out my detector in his yard, may I also try it in yours." If the person asks you to locate a property pin, well cap, lost tool, stop right then and look for what they ask. You will be able to come back another day if you run out of time. I used Tabman's technique of giving out tomato seedlings. You will be surprised how many properties this will open.
Hope these points will give you success. I have had very few people deny me permission in 7 years with this method. Hope you find a gold coin!

SGuardez in Southeast Missouri.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone gave great suggestions! :icon_thumright:

I would add, if you have a child in the family,
grab 'em, and USE them, as a sympathetic element
in your presentation. :laughing7:
May even give a hint what part of town you live in.
Say, you are interested in the History of the property - ask the owners, if
things get far along....and, Be Sure To Show Them What you Find...!
See? All this trash I'm getting rid of for them...?
They can wander around while you dig - show them good recovery,
and restoration techniques, in your digging....
Good Luck, and Happy Door-Knocking...!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread