Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had a few hour practice session, I ruined about 10 bottle bases trying to figure out how to get flakes to carry enough to thin out the piece, switched to stone and at least came up with something but again as I worked it down it got fatter and fatter, makes it almost impossible to notch when it gets that thick. Any advice on how to really get those flakes to travel? I suspect I’m still not taking the time to set myself up good enough but even when I do find a good platform I rarely drive the flake to the center line
FEB179BD-B8EF-4C89-89C9-8321CABFEB94.jpeg
283EB6C4-59F8-42F0-A7CC-464D9909EE2F.jpeg

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
I would try pulling your removals. I.e., pressure with your finger laid along the line you want it to travel & pulling toward the center when the blow is struck. Old DC Waldorf trick.

FWIW

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So when you say put your finger in line do you mean one supporting the piece or one on the flaking tool?

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Exerting direct pressure on the work piece where you are removing a flake and pulling in the direction you want the flake to travel (with only the finger applying the pressure).

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower your platform below the center line. Isolate the platform and grind it. Drive the flake into the mass but not so much to cause a hinge fracture.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread