Any watch experts?

dblski

Mar 18, 2009
Went to a garage sale and bought a watch. The watch was heavy and had 18K on the back so I bought it for a dollar. It is a Patek Philippe. I now know these watches are extremely expensive, and this is most likely a fake (probably 99.9% chance) but there is always that slim chance. What I am wondering is how can you tell for sure it is a fake. I have searched the net but all I can find is info about rolex fakes. I have tried to match it up online with either a real or a fake and can't find either. Any help would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
Jake

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Even if it isn't an original the replicas sell for several hundred dollars so for a buck I think you did just fine :thumbsup: If you can take it to a jeweler that would be your best bet. You never know, someone could have been cleaning out Grandpas dresser after he passed and just thought it was some old watch he had stuck in his sock drawer. Let us know what you find out.

HH Charlie

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
savant365 said:
Even if it isn't an original the replicas sell for several hundred dollars so for a buck I think you did just fine :thumbsup: If you can take it to a jeweler that would be your best bet. You never know, someone could have been cleaning out Grandpas dresser after he passed and just thought it was some old watch he had stuck in his sock drawer. Let us know what you find out.

HH Charlie
exactly what I was thinking

adamgill794

Jun 2, 2012
London
Detector(s) used
nothing
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not really watch experts I am, but I know few things about various types of watches. I have a huge collection of antique wrist and pocket watches. So, I knew about some famous branded watches.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a jewelry store. Ask them what it would cost to clean. They might say its a fake without you even asking. If they say it needs a battery chances are it is also a fake, I don't think real watches use batteries.

I am the proud owner of five Rolexs and one Brietling. ALL FAKE, bought at yardsales.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Once, at a gem show, I almost traded my Rolex (real) for a Patek (real) because I would kill for a Patek. However, it was the ugliest styled Patek I've ever seen, and that turned me off. It was probably a one-off because it was so ugly and hence may be worth a fortune. Oh well.

Agree that a counterfeit Patek might still be worth some good money.

Like Cyberdan, I also have a fake Rolex (battery - I'm pretty sure there are no Rolexs with batteries). The difference? The fake is prettier and keeps far better time than the real one!

BigBeefy

Jan 19, 2010
Knoxvegas, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Post pics, I love these Patek watches.
where is the drool icon?

S

stefen

Went to a garage sale and bought a watch. The watch was heavy and had 18K on the back so I bought it for a dollar. It is a Patek Philippe. I now know these watches are extremely expensive, and this is most likely a fake (probably 99.9% chance) but there is always that slim chance. What I am wondering is how can you tell for sure it is a fake. I have searched the net but all I can find is info about rolex fakes. I have tried to match it up online with either a real or a fake and can't find either. Any help would be extremely helpful.
Thanks,
Jake

Finding a fake watch is a bummer and can contribute to a massive headache...

Tell you what...I'll give you $5 for the watch sight-unseen and I'll assume the risk of it being a fake...Thats 5 X's what you paid...great profit...

When you get over the shock of this fantastic offer, PM me for my mailing address...:laughing7:

All kidding aside, you recieved some great advice above...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread