Anybody able to compare Tesoro Cortes to Omega, T2, G2

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the Cortes and really like it, but have been looking pretty hard at these 3. Really having a hard time making up my mind between them, especially figuring out the real differences between the G2 and T2. I mostly do coinshooting, but a lot of that is around cellar holes. I know the G2 has two processors, but the T2se has more depth? Do the dual processors just help it separate good from bad quicker? Is the depth on the Omega comparable and what would be the drawback with getting that over the other two?

I like the Cortes and am just wondering if I would see a big improvement. I get decent depth but I'm not sure about the target separation in trashy areas. I know some people don't like the small screen on the Cortes, but that doesn't bother me. Wondering more about the raw power and discriminating abilities of them.

Shane

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Shane if depth is what you want for sure go T2 SE. Best iron discrimination around due to dual processors? G2.

OP
OP
S

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shane if depth is what you want for sure go T2 SE. Best iron discrimination around due to dual processors? G2.

Meaning that small square nails etc around cellar holes won't mask the coin underneath but would with the T2? And how much difference in depth are we talking in average soil between the two? I definitely dig a lot of old rusty bits of iron with my Cortes, but what concerns me is I have a test garden that has a clad quarter buried at 7" that I can hit with no problem, however I through a square nail on top and got nothing. With the nail discriminated out so was the quarter. With no discrimination the machine told me that all it saw was iron. This makes me think I am missing a lot of good stuff around these cellar holes.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really hard to give hard #'s on that. WAY to many variables.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want iron "see through" then you have to go pre modern motion detectors for something like the Compass 77b or a Viking TR. Both will see through a three or four nails to detect a target below. Both unfortunately are not deep detectors but thats not what you want in/around cellar holes.

All of the detectors you mention can be made to work if there's sufficient offset to the left or right between target and iron and the faster the recovery speed and smaller the coil used the better. Question is if you would gain much over just putting the smallest coil possible on your Tesoro.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread