boo_boo.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 687
Upvote 0

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
We've done this before, but I didn't post this one. I bought two machines by the same company and didn't read the manuals (Hell, I KNOW how to use detectors!) Used one for several trips and then switched to the other. Had a horrible day hunting, until I realized that My Ace 250 and my CX II used different numbers and tones for the same targets. Now I read manuals.

grizzly bare

bmanofnbc

Dec 20, 2004
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter SSII & Fisher F75
I wore steel-toed boots one time. Every step & swing there was a false signal, I was getting mad thinking my machine was busted until I figured it out. ;D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
One big BOO BOO I did was back when they came up with the idea of a round plug digger.

I made one out of a hole cutting saw blade and the first good target I dug with it turned out to be a very nice token significant to the history of our town.

The teeth of the hole saw hit the edge of the token and really ripped up one whole side. This awesome find had been in the ground for over 100 years and remained in near perfect condition. Within a few seconds I almost completely destroyed it. :'(

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Left my detector in the menu mode, it won,t detect this way. Hunted for 20 minutes before I got smart. Forgot to turn on my other detector, hunted for only 5 minutes. Had on a pair of pants with a hole in the pocket. Found out, luckily, when the first coin find fell out of the pocket on my shoe. That was a disaster in the waiting. Can you imagine going all day and finding out you lost all your good finds because of a hole in your pocket?

Ed

T

tallpaul

yep i did the same thing with my steel toe cap boots,, i still were steel toe cap boots,, i just swing out to the right now and follow the way i even find this is better for covering all the land,,

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
ecdonovan said:
Left my detector in the menu mode, it won,t detect this way. Hunted for 20 minutes before I got smart. Forgot to turn on my other detector, hunted for only 5 minutes. Had on a pair of pants with a hole in the pocket. Found out, luckily, when the first coin find fell out of the pocket on my shoe. That was a disaster in the waiting. Can you imagine going all day and finding out you lost all your good finds because of a hole in your pocket?

Ed

LOL! Sounds like something I'd do ;D

I hunted a church camp while it was being used and part of my responsibility was to take pictures. I dug lots of newer coins, a cheap ring, a few Wheaties, and a bunch of old life jacket fittings. Then I dashed around taking pictures of almost everybody. I'd have them pose, make dumb faces (wasn't hard), etc. When I got back home I discovered the film never went through the camera! I had zero pictures.

Oh well, I still had the loot ;)

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Grandmother who lived to be a hundred and two gave me a silver spoon from the Chicago Worlds Fair back in the 20s or 30s. I was running the garbage disposal one day and accidentally dropped it in. It was a total loss, mangled beyond recognition within about the two seconds it took for me to turn the disposal off! Oh and I found about 5 wheat pennies on top of the ground by a bathroom in a public park, all with the same date! Found out I had a hole in my pocket and was finding the same one over and over and over and.......! And ....I bulit an electronic "Floater" type coin cleaner. I put a token in and disolved the token and left the dirt! It was made of aluminum and those electrolysis machines don't like aluminum! And....I'm not telling any more on myself! Monty

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Monty said:
Oh and I found about 5 wheat pennies on top of the ground by a bathroom in a public park, all with the same date!? Found out I had a hole in my pocket and was finding the same one over and over and over and.......! I'm not telling any more on myself!? Monty

LOL ;D

Monty...it's been a long time since I've laughed myself to tears! That was too funny!

spotz

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2005
Stanfield, Oregon
Drove 40 miles to a site & batteries died in five min. No spares. Never done that again. Also spent a lot of time searching for dimes that I had pinpointed & dug. Kept sifitng through the dirt, wave it over the coil & OOPS! Wedding ring & watch bands sure make a lot of nice false signals. Now I switch them to right hand & wrist before I ever get out of the truck.
Spotz

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I nearly cut Miss Liberty's head off of what was once an XF Carson City seated dime, due to careless digging.

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
speared mr lincoln in the back of the head(oldest wheat id found so far '25) with my probe thought it was a clad penny was at like 2 inchs kind of carmic if you tjink about it..

Mighty AP

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2006
Livin' in a tar-paper shack in the woods of Easter
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, Whites QXT, Garrett Pro-Pointer, "Mighty" Diggin' Tool
I got caught takin a whiz by an elderly woman this morning! Her backyard is adjacent to the soccer field I was hunting, damn I had to go & the truck was about 100 yards away.............I leaned my machine against her fence & started doin my business. The fence was wood, bout 5 foot high so Im standing there lookin right into her backyard, she was in the yard & I didnt see her............til I was about halfway done with my business! She walked up, not too close mind you, & I said "hello, nice day today aint it?" as I kept goin........almost done. She just stood there & gave me a wierd look, she knew what I was doin! I finished, grabed my machine & got the hell outa there, made a beeline fer the truck. I guess Id better find another place to hunt for a while.............BIG BOO BOO,EH? :D

OP
OP
Michigan Badger

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
mlw67 said:
I found a 1909-S VDB wheat and put a big honkin scrizatch right down Lincoln's face. >:(

An 09 S VDB???? Say it isn't so! :o

Man, I'd go into major depression after that. Oh well, stuff happens I guess :'(

Badger

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
mlw67 said:
I found a 1909-S VDB wheat and put a big honkin scrizatch right down Lincoln's face. >:(

aaawwww man what are the friggin chances!? that sucks bigtime!

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Thank God my boo boo's so far are modern clad. But I know one will come someday on something of more valuable. Just hope its not a super coin.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mighty AP said:
I got caught takin a whiz by an elderly woman this morning! Her backyard is adjacent to the soccer field I was hunting, damn I had to go & the truck was about 100 yards away.............I leaned my machine against her fence & started doin my business. The fence was wood, bout 5 foot high so Im standing there lookin right into her backyard, she was in the yard & I didnt see her............til I was about halfway done with my business! She walked up, not too close mind you, & I said "hello, nice day today aint it?" as I kept goin........almost done. She just stood there & gave me a wierd look, she knew what I was doin! I finished, grabed my machine & got the hell outa there, made a beeline fer the truck. I guess Id better find another place to hunt for a while.............BIG BOO BOO,EH? :D
What did you go and do that for now. You know how detectorists have a bad rap...now you've got to add that to our reputation. ;) Too funny.

I've dug things up and tried to unbend them before....destroying them because they usually break. :-\

skeeterfyock

Tenderfoot
Apr 7, 2006
Texarkana Tx
This is not my boo boo, but speaking of steel toed boots...

DAILY TELEGRAPH (25 JUL 1986)
A fireman in Bath, Somerset, England, using a metal detector
to trace a fire hydrant which had been covered in tarmac
after road resurfacing, dug seven holes in the wrong place
before realizing the device was being set off by the steel
toe-caps in his boots.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread