Anybody dug at Camp Wheeler near Macon this year?

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
I used to detect there also about 15 yrs ago. I drove by it a year or so ago some of it now has been bought by companies and have buildings on it. There has been a lot of ordinance dug up by the Army/AF OD teams in the last few yrs. A lot of the original camp also is being bought for private homes etc. Due to health reasons I have not MD the area, but I am thinking about checking it out again.

OP
OP
Slingshot

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey fishy49 let me welcome you to our board! I'm at work and don't have my maps, but there was a rest stop between Atlanta & Macon that had the WWII camp map on display. I obtained a copy of the WWI camp from the National Archives in D.C., the tobacco company is sitting on the prime hunting spot, as that was the main tent city site for about 20,000 guys in 1917 - 1918. Their security will search you out if you cross the fence, don't ask how I know. I have only managed to get onto a couple of spots that were rich in the WWI coins and artifacts, but they are well worth searching out. Your newest coins will date 1918, and the newer silver will look freshly minted,with normal corrosion on the pennies and nickels but with little wear on the late V's, Indians, and early Mercuries and Buffalos, of course there will be Barbers and some worn Seated type coins, and they will date back to the Civil War era, with wear of course. Then you had WWII, and Korean War activity here also. We have bumped into old ordenance, and left those areas immediately! A bunker of WWII era plane bombs went off in the middle of the night about 25 years ago & blew a huge crater in the ground. There are a lot of spots I want to hunt, but just haven't had time. It's a great place to hunt, but spread out, good luck hunting!

fishy49

Greenie
Nov 24, 2004
macon, ga
Detector(s) used
whites 6000D, Whites Classic 4,
hi slingshot,
The tobacco company closed and moved out about 2 yrs ago. I don't know what is there now if anything on the tobacco co. site. There is also a map of the camp wheeler site from WWII in the local library. Thanks for the info you gave me, I need to get off my duff and go look over the place again,
Fishy49

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread