anybody ever use or know about this pinpointer

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
okay....check out this link for this pinpointer and when you are all done laughing tell me what you think about it.

http://wizdist.com/wizprobe.cfm

I have about $65 saved to get a pinpointer and want to know if this one is okay or not, or what should I get for around that much....or the alternative is to just scrimp and save some more and get a better one. But the question then will be which one should I get. Heard some bad things about the Bullseyes breaking after a couple of months (flimsy switches or something).

So to sum up....if you all are done laughing at the pinpointer from Buck Rogers in the 25th century.......is this worth a try, or just get a real namebrand one and which one should I choose. Want something that will do the job and last since you spend eneough money on the thing.

Thanks for your help my fellow TNetr's

Funkman

Upvote 0

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see one Major Problem with it.

You Just Know Some where , Some Place, Some Anti Gun person,
Is going to see you with it and Call the Police,
Who are Going to show up acting like they just got done
watching the Cops show.

Guns Drawn, Threats to Lay flat on the Ground, Etc.

even tho if you look you see it's not one.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
Jeff,

what pinpointers have you used and that stand up to the use that dectorists put them through?

Thanks,

Funkman

all please give their opinions and comments on the types of pinpointers out there. Don;t want to be disappointed in getting one that is garbage or breaks easily.

midas777gold

May 29, 2006
Ya, hey, it does look like a gun, wrong color tho. But then again, I always carry a gun wherever I go. Never know when you might need it.
But, someone will call the cops thinking it IS a gun. I was at a beach a month ago. The state police came down and said they had a report that someone with metal bar was destroying State property. It seems a passerby saw my long handled scoop (metal bar) and called the cops. Stick with a White's bullseye or VibraProbe.

Farmercal

Mar 20, 2003
Earth
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, X-Terra 70 & Excalibur 1000
The vibra probe is a good choice. I have a secondhand one and it is still solid as a rock. It has no switches to break and is durable. Just hold it upside down for a few seconds and it comes on, put it back in the holster and it automatically turns itself off. Pretty neat.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I gotta agree with Jeff and Cal on this one, looks a little too much like a gun, and look for a Vibra Probe. Happy hunting!

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
sounds like the vibra-probe 560 is the way to go I guess. Thanks for steering me off the raygun ;)

How far away will the vibra-probe detect. Kellyco's description says it will detect a penny at 1". Is that good?? Never used a pinpointer before so I don;t know what the range away from the pinpointer should be.
Also, would oredering it from Kellyco be okay? Anyone use them before?? Any complaints??

Thanks again

Funkman

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I have used Kellyco more than once, and find them to be a great dealer. With a probe, you actually don't want too much depth. I'd say 1/2 to 1" of distance should suit you well. The Vibra fits that perfectly.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
thanks af1733.

I like the Pennywise (think that was the name) the clown avatar...read the book by Stephen King and could not get near a storm drain at night.. :o LOL

Funkman

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the Only Probe I have used in the Field is Sunray.

They Give a Good 3" & I'd swear, with My Headphones at least
a 6" Plus Whisper in all Metal.

I'm sure less in Discriminate, But, I always Switch to all Metal
to Pinpoint.

ClonedSIM

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2005
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
funkman said:
thanks af1733.

I like the Pennywise (think that was the name) the clown avatar...read the book by Stephen King and could not get near a storm drain at night.. :o LOL

Funkman

That's the one, alright. Pennywise. I'm a huge SK fan. Good call!

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
Funkman I saw that wizard probe you had linked for 29.95 somewhere, I agree it kinda of looks like a gun. I think any kind pinpointer will be better than nothing and save you so much time. I went from doing .50-.60 per hour in a park to adveraging 1.50-1.80 per hour. I would say the pinpointer had a lot to do with that and I stopped digging zinc pennies.

S

skydiv

what kind of detector do you use? the ace 250 does a fine job of pin pointing. I haven't found a need for a pin pointer yet.

OP
OP
funkman

funkman

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2006
Middletown, NY
Detector(s) used
AT Pro & Ace 250
skydiv,

I am using an Ace 250 but sometimes i have been digging gopher holes. I know I have to practice pinpointing more with it but sometimes I have to either keep expanding the diameter of the hole or dig deeper. Most times I do both. I figured the pinpointer might help me by telling me that it is either deeper in the hole or it is in the sidewall and I can continue in the exact direction I need to go.
Any pointers on pinpointing better with the Ace? I figure when in pinpoint mode that if the signal shows at 2" I try to dig towards the front of the inner coil. When in pinpoint mode and it shows 4+ inches I try to dig towards the center of the opening of the inner coil, or should it be more near where the shaft attaches to the coil?

Thanks

Funkman

joe_black

Jun 12, 2006
Eastern N. Carolina
I too use the vibra-probe and consider it invaluable. I havent used any others cuz i've only been detecting for about 3 months. But the point is that the probe helps me find the target alot faster than without it. and the faster you can recover the target, the more targets you can find before you have to go home. The vibra-probe gives 3 different signals - one pulse for aprox 1" away, 2 pulses for less than 1" and 3 pulses if the tip is right against the target. I guess some ppl may prefer if the probe were to detect from a little farther away, but i like how precise it is.
and it sturdy and completely waterproof, money well spent.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have any problem pinpointing precisely with my ACE 250, but lots of time the target is tarnished and the same color as the dirt. My near vision just isn't good enough to pick the coin or target out from the background. Therefore a pinpointer probe saves me a lot of time feeling around in the hole or the dirt I have removed to find the target. I find I don't need much of a probe and the old bulky Automax works good for me and has an extra long probe that will reach down into a 6" hole with ease. A smaller one would probably be a lot easier to carry around though. Monty

O

Ole Mole

funkman said:
skydiv,

I am using an Ace 250 but sometimes i have been digging gopher holes. I know I have to practice pinpointing more with it but sometimes I have to either keep expanding the diameter of the hole or dig deeper. Most times I do both. I figured the pinpointer might help me by telling me that it is either deeper in the hole or it is in the sidewall and I can continue in the exact direction I need to go.
Any pointers on pinpointing better with the Ace? I figure when in pinpoint mode that if the signal shows at 2" I try to dig towards the front of the inner coil. When in pinpoint mode and it shows 4+ inches I try to dig towards the center of the opening of the inner coil, or should it be more near where the shaft attaches to the coil?

Thanks

Funkman
Here is what I have been doing when pinpointing the object detected. At the 12 0'clock position on the inner coil is what I have found to be the pinpoint area. When you pinpoint with the Ace 250 and drag the coil across the target watch the meter. When it reaches its highest point you should be centered over the target at the inner part of the coil. I then go side to side and watch the meter again for the high point and recheck back to front to make sure I am still on target. I then cut my plug around that area and put the plug on a junky old T-Shirt and scan the hole. If there is no sound from the hole I then check my plug by waving it past the coil. When doing this remember to not have your ring on your finger. If the plug sounds off then you know where to search. I have also figured out, that just because the Ace 250 says 2 inches on the meter does not mean that it is at 2 inches. It is 2 inches or less and most times it is laying just under the mat of grass within the plug.
I to am looking at getting a pinpointer and have seen the gun shaped one as well. First thought's that went through my mind was what other's here had already mentioned. Guy in the park with a firearm and children nearby would not be a great news story even after the fact.
Goodluck and Happy Huntin'

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions