REALLY need help with this decission. PLEASe give feedback

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Steve,

I have not used any of the machines listed. I do know that Tesoro does give lifetime repair on their machines. I sent my Tiger Shark back and all I had to pay for was the shipping to Tesoro. When you call them, you get to speak with someone who works on detectors all day. Usually, I have spoken with the owner's family, and they ususally pick up within a few moments. Can't beat Tesoro for customer service. I'm sure there are people here that could point you in the right direction. Hope it helps.

Ron.

grizzly bare

Aug 30, 2005
Warrenton, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett CX II/Sovereign SX-2a Pro/Quattro
Steve,
I have been MDing a little over a year, but have used machines by White, Garrett, and Minelab. My preference is the Quattro. I have had mine just over a month and it has out hunted all my others. Turn on and go ease of use, DEEP hunting, and reliable. It's less expensive than some of the others.
One you didn't have on your list but is a good one, the Garrett Infinium.

grizzly bare

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
All good machines by reputable companies, I don't think you'd go wrong with any of them. Try and find a dealer who carries most if not all of these brands who will let you try each one out first. Weight distribution and "feel" will be an important deciding factor.

slow sweeper

Jan 7, 2005
Oregon
Number of compatible coils available would be another factor to consider. Different coils for different situations is a definate plus in my opinion.

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Hey Steve
All of the detectors you mentioned will serve you well. However, I was curious why you did not consider the newest detector that just came out on the market? That would be Minelabs's Terra X-70. It was about time Minelab offered at light weight alternative to the Explorer 11(loved the electronics- hated the slow recovery, weight and unbalanced nature). The reviews on this detector have been very positive. After all it is a Minelab.

Of course I am a sucker for a lightweight machine(my current detector is hip-mounted). For me weight is very important as I can swing a lightweight one all day.

I agree with Jeffro try some of these out at a dealers test garden.

George

Stainless Steet Rat

May 15, 2006
What is it you are looking for that the ACE is not doing for you? Are you looking for a more accurate target ID or more depth or custom coin or relic settings. I know my friend has a DFX and he digs less trash than I do and can ID deeper targets.

OP
OP
S

SteveninPA

Thanks for the replies so far. As for teh X-Terra 7-, I was under the impression that it was not as good as a machine as the Quattro. I may be wrong though. May have to look at that more. As for the other question, The ACE250 does not give me the depth I am looking for on finding older coins

neilo

Aug 23, 2005
Go for the Quatro or look at an early model Explorer there are some new ones for sale on Ebay around the $700 mark, but check about warranties. seeya Neilo

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I used a Quattro for about a year and thought it was an excellent machine and easy to learn. A little on the heavy side as it's a Minelab. Traded it in for a Excalibur cause I wanted to hunt in the water. I think if I were to buy a backup machine though, I would go for the Sovereign GT as it's the same as the Excal.

I guess it all depends on what kind of hunting you're going to do. I think the machines I listed above are the best beach machines.

Good Luck and HH 8) surfrat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread