Anybody hunt with a walking or other type of disability that slows you down?

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
East Coast-Mid Atlantic Region
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Nothing new as for me now, I am pretty much handicapped.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I had bulging and herniated disks . and bad knees for years.

Long story short, I have been detecting for years and years , and recently (3 Years Ago) I have had major spine surgery. Said I'd never walk again. (Oh I don't think so ...)

So here is the real question. When and if I get to go out is hard. But I Push on. I love the hobby. pastime, what ever you call it. There must have to be others out there, getting out there and pushing themselves to get the job done.
I would like to hear from some of the folks who " get 'er done". (and how slowed down you get. What's your age,etc.... any details you want to post.
I have been wondering these thoughts from to time as I get on in years.
Thanks, I have always wondered how many others out there pain themselves for "the hunt". :coffee2:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A decade short of the loose term senior...
Missing a leg, and a worn out knee on the remaining one.

I detect from a wheelchair and have been in woods and other places not really suited for a chair. Even with wheelie bars I' ve flipped it . A learning thing ,or pushing it too hard thing ,maybe.
Parks are usually gravy. Sometimes other sites need attention though!

No rush. Take breaks. Plan distance to include returning lest you run out of " fuel"
Let the day and terrain determine amount of recoveries. One good one could be enough . A hundred could be too many...Just get out there sometime.

fish1on

Silver Member
Aug 28, 2012
Farr West, utah
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70 with 6.5", 10" Elliptical, & 11" Search Coil. Garret pro pointer AT, Minelab excaliber II (New machine)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just went thru 1/2 of my Rhizotomy (nerve killer) procedure on my lower back last Thursday and I am going back in two weeks for the second half.

I still dig in the dirt from time to time but it beats the heck out of me. I mostly stick to the easier dig sites like tot lots, beaches and volleyball courts, etc. No need for bending when you use a scoop. Also, I picked up a new machine last year and will be hitting the water soon. I detect petty slow but thats OK, I go for the chance to get out and enjoy "My Time".

I can still walk pretty good but the bending is what gets me and I am not even close to being considered a "Senior". If/when the time comes that I need a mobility device to do this I would think that there is plenty of options out there to accommodate. Sometimes slowing down while detecting is a GOOD thing.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I suffered from a herniated disc, along bone spurs in my c5- c6..... 5 months of hell.
Got that pretty much behind me now, detecting sucked... and wasn't able to enjoy other things life had to offer. Now that I'm feeling better, I put the detector down for a while... now golfing again, getting caught up with the yardwork, and so happy to be off meds and endless trips to physical therapy.

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My knees and legs tend to be a bit stiff plus I find it more comfortable to be down on my knees when retrieving. I carry a walking cane tucked into the belt with my pouch and often use it as a support when getting up. A little awkward, but do able.
luvsdux

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For many years I was afflicted with the onset of severe hamstring cramps at night after a day of relic digging. Tried all sorts of things to include hydrating like a camel, eating bananas like a monkey. Then one day I was hit within a few hours of getting home from digging and they were so bad that I went to the emergency room. Long story short I was diagnosed with two bulging discs in my lumbar, seems they over load the hamstrings when things short out. About a year later while merely tossing a cast net I separated all 3 left hamstrings at the hip. Had reconnective surgery with 3 months laid up in a brace then months of physical therapy. A year later while bent over the tail gate of my truck I got a pop on my right ass cheek. MRI indicated I separated one of the 3 right hamstring tendons and tore a 2nd. No surgery this time just lots of PT. Ortho cannot explain why I keep popping hamstring tendons but I look back on the series of awful hamstring cramps as the culprit. Don't treat lumbar issues lightly. I am back to digging now but I have fabricated a small sifter that I wear on my belt and now bring the dirt up to the sifter instead of bending over and putting a load on the hamstrings and lower back. Privy digging is now a thing of the past for me. I'm 62.

red fox bob

Feb 23, 2016
Apollo,Pa
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,Garrett Pro Pointer,Custom Made Sand Scoop,Garrett AT Pinpointer, Whites MX Sport , Eqauinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oldsilver,Sorry to hear about your health issues,I had knee surgery in December of last year.After PT and then extra PT on my own I was back to hunting Febuary 2,2017.I am 70 and hopefully able to keep going strong for at least another 20 years ( That's my plan ).I guess what I want to tell you is to not give up and just do what you can,don't push it,there is always tomorrow to hunt.Oh yes,Tylenol works wonders,that's the hardest drug I take.WISH YOU THE BEST. Bob

foiler

Mar 17, 2013
Kansas
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Wilson-Neuman, Whites, Minelab, Tesoro and others I've long since forgotten
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in a similar situation with my wife whose been detecting longer than I have (50+ yrs). She can't get around like she used to and my Viet Nam tours are catching up to me so we are urban hunters now. I bought her a 4 wheel electric scooter with 10" wheels (Pride LX/Victory 10). She can go off road sort of speak with it. Grass and dirt or gravel is no problem. If you used it to get you to and from your vehicle to the hunt spot it and to move around the hunt site it would save some of your energy to hunt. I recommend one other thing to help you continue in the hobby. Yoga. You don't need to be an expert just do some of the positions every day. You will be amazed at how it helps you get around.

darktower007

Feb 21, 2017
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus/Vaquero/At Max/fisher f70/carrot pen pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have bone spurs in my neck. My dang neck hurts every day. When I m hunting and looking down it hurts even worse. Oh well I have fun doing it and take Advil when I get in or Tylenol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TwistedT

Nov 15, 2014
Westmoreland County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2,
Fisher F5,
Garrett ATP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i had a total knee replacement last october.
walking is ok now - kneeling down on it, is the hardest part.

all in all i get along good now - really hasnt slowed me down at all.
was worse with the bad knee - lol

OP
OP
O

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Started with a Garrett. I think I've probably tried everything make and model from 1977, all the way to the up to the E-trac and GPX 4800.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
All you folks are an inspiration to the others of us! Some of these stories are awesome and give me the added push to slam some Tylenol and get out in this rain (ugh, I know more pain!) And for those who are young and healthy, believe me, you don't know what you've got. I remembering my Mom used to say. "at least you have your health." Never understood that while young[/U][/I]... :don't know: May the Good Lord lay a healing hand on all of us! Amen!!
* Also. I can feel the rain coming days before it hits. You guys have to know what I'm talking about. I beat my local weather guy hands down on rain forecasts! heck. my knees blow up at the approach of a low pressure system!

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Had my neck broken in 2005 by a track hoe. Lost the feeling partially on my left upper extremity. I am left handed but becoming right handed more and more every day. Never give up. Try hunting coin rolls until you can get back in the field. I spent a couple of years in the archives digging also. I ended up publishing a book from my work.

Good luck to you! L.C.:icon_thumleft:

USMC Reaper

May 23, 2015
Abbeville, S.C.
Detector(s) used
MineLab CTX 3030, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
L. C., I just bought your book I'll start reading it tonight and leave a review, I know how important the reviews are.

Semper Fi

Had my neck broken in 2005 by a track hoe. Lost the feeling partially on my left upper extremity. I am left handed but becoming right handed more and more every day. Never give up. Try hunting coin rolls until you can get back in the field. I spent a couple of years in the archives digging also. I ended up publishing a book from my work.

Good luck to you! L.C.:icon_thumleft:

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Degenerative disc disease. Severe osteo arthritis (neck, hips, knees, fingers). Knee surgery.

That's some of the reasons I do metal detect. Low impact and keeps me from stiffening up. But I do kneel instead of squat to dig like I used to.

cajamk

Jan 5, 2017
Northern Maryland
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a 61 yr old woman who just started this wonderful hobby. Detecting takes me away from it all (I sound like the Calgon commercial). Anyway, the old knees and lower back are not what they used to be, but like others, I just keep on pushing on. I can't do this for hours at a time. But being outside and finding treasures is worth a night of sore knees & back. Thank God for Alleve!!

OP
OP
O

oldsilver

Feb 20, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yeah, thats real good advise. Im forced to do that anyway now, even though I think I can do more than I can. Oh well. They still make ice.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple years ago I broke my left femur. Went to the local hospital and they replaced it with a metal ball and partial metal leg bone. Problem is when the doctor measured the bone, he must have used metric and when he made the ball and leg he used standard. My left leg is now about 1 or 1 1/2 inches shorter than the right. It bothers me some when standing after digging my target and when I get home and relax, it really bothers where I have trouble walking. The next day, good to go and do the same over again. I'm 73 so I hope I got lots of time left to detect. ( Still looking for that gold coin )

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, count me in. Can't go as hard or long as I used to but I have recently found if I concentrate on a smaller area and go slow, I'm actually doing much better now than I ever have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread