Anybody hunt with a walking or other type of disability that slows you down?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have the L3 to the S1 fused and held together with titanium. Causes my SI joints to be so painful, I can barely get in and out of bed... or walk, sometimes. An upcoming radio frequency ablation should kill the left SI nerve. But after reading this post, I'm ashamed of myself for pissing and moaning about my little problem. Keep at it guys! My hat comes off to you (all). Terry

Last edited:

4x4x4

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2017
Southern California, outside of San Diego
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Silver !
Funny I should see your post today...... I'm headed toward this dilemma and TODAY was looking at my aluminum cane ...it's diameter and adjusting holes .
Thinking I may build a coil onto the stick and a scoop onto another.......
Thanks for going ahead and checking it out for the rest of us ! You're doing it with aplomb !
My mid sixties.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only 30 but I have two ruined knees. One I fully tore both of my meniscus and also my acl. got that fixed but its still not great and had to relearn how to walk. Then I still have unfixed tears of meniscus in my other knee. So long story short, now I ride a bit shorter on one side and get hip and back problems from it. Luckily massage therapy and being young and stupid only slows me down a little, though if i squat too long I get very very stuck with out anything to pull myself up on.

Snap on Man

Apr 15, 2012
Tupelo, Ms
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5- Teknetics T 2 Classic w NEL Sharpshooter coil - Whites TRX pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Degenerative disc disease. Severe osteo arthritis (neck, hips, knees, fingers). Knee surgery.

That's some of the reasons I do metal detect. Low impact and keeps me from stiffening up. But I do kneel instead of squat to dig like I used to.
I like you reason!! Bad knees and bad back from when I was much younger and bullet proof. As you age what you didn't damage just seems to fall apart. I now have a heart condition called Tachycardia which will slow you down and also have to wear compression hose. I have to agree with you about low impact exercise this is great for me.

Primus Palus

Apr 3, 2017
Denver, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm still new to all of this... but I have two bad knees and my back goes out (a rib pops out of place every once in a while). Both were from accidents. I find kneeling sucks, but the back has been pretty good so far as I'm standing straight enough between digging.

Rawhide

Silver Member
Nov 17, 2010
SouthWestern USA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, Etrac, F75, AT Pro. Last two for sale.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walking is good for us guys with broken backs. I use yoga stretches which fit right in with digging. Now I can tell how fatigued I am by the way I am able to dig. When Im on all fours the day is about over for me. I use a fitbit to track progress. I have learned to dig, swing the detector, and pin point with either hand. I usually just probe and go. I dont like digging if I dont have too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread