Anybody out there from the northeast(Maine)?

jayman

Sep 6, 2009
I havent been on here for a year or so.Are there any folks on here from the northeast?I am moving back to my old hunting grounds.I am currently living in southern Maine.The area here is not productive like the Bangor maine area is.I have a spot that has on it one of the largest weirs in North America.When they let the damn out to lower the water level in the lake.You can still see the stakes in the water.To be able to walk up and almost touch these stakes is amazing to me.They have been carbon-dated back as far as I believe over 3,500 years old.They even found a birch parchment container over 1,700 years old.I really dont understand how these posts stay intact but they are still there.I will send pictures as they are getting ready to lower the water level again.Last year I was showing my artifacts at a indian pow-wow.This lady walks over to me to look at my stuff and tells me her and her husband own the land around the weir and that I can hunt it when ever I like.Bless her heart.She says I just have to beat the university out there as they come out every year.I can do this.Thanks...............Jayman..........P.s. the fish weir is in Sebasticook lake if anyone is interested.It also has great fishing but I never take my pole.

Upvote 0

joeboken

Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Jayman, I'm from Maine, I live in Bowdoinham. I took a ride up to the Coos Canyon area about two weeks ago for my first attempt at gold panning. I really don't know what I'm doing but have watched some youtube videos and decided to give it a shot, just for fun. I really didn't expect much but was pleasantly surprised to find tiny gold flakes in my pan. It was around the Swift River. I just parked on the side of a dirt road that runs along a stream, and literally 10 feet from my car down a small embankment I took a shovel full of dirt from the edge of the water and instantly found gold. It was a very small amount but fulfilled what I was trying to do. I would like to learn more about how to process the sand with the gold flakes, as I don't want to lose any, as little there is. Bangor is quite a drive for me, but I do plan on trying some areas up there sometime. I think I'm hooked, lol, and it didn't take much to do it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread