Not sure what I have found

Lindsey

Jul 12, 2009
Northeast Texas
My boyfriend and I always go to the North Sulphur River in search of fossils, sharks teeth and arrowheads, although he has found this one arrowhead the other four pieces are what I have found and I have always believed they were pieces of an arrowhead or something. For size reference the pinkish colored one is roughly the size of a quarter, the white piece is one I definently was not sure of but it seems to have been chipped away. The triangular one looks like it might have been broken off, long center piece I don't have a clue which side would be top or bottom, I just placed it in the display that way. What I was wondering was what these pieces might be, or what they might have come from or broken off from, maybe they aren't anything and have just taken shape from being in the river. Again I am very much a rookie and am not very familiar with the materials arrowheads and such were made from.

Attachments

• Set.JPG
    Set.JPG
    94.5 KB · Views: 642
  • Set2.JPG
    Set2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 625
  • Set3.JPG
    Set3.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 591
Upvote 0

uniface

Silver Member
Jun 4, 2009
Central Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Numbers two, three and five (the two blackish brown ones and the white one) were cutting tools. Nr. 2 is a backed knife ; nr. 5 is a retouched flake and nr. 3 is sometimes called a drill although it's an exhausted knife (re-sharpened until there was no more left to re-sharpen further).

That's what I see, anyhow.

OP
OP
Lindsey

Lindsey

Jul 12, 2009
Northeast Texas
Thank you so much for the info, it gives me a whole new respect for them. I've got so much to learn about arrowheads, there are just so many varieties to learn. Any idea on what the pink colored one would be? It was hard to get a real good picture of it due to it's color but the top and bottom edge are straight.

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Naturegirl, can you give a measurement on the pink arrowhead? I'm looking in one of my books and I will be able to ID, just give me a few...

oldgoat

Oct 21, 2008
Got it, it looks like a Scallorn, 1300 to 500 B.P.....location Texas to Oklahoma, a small size, corner notched arrowpoint with a flaring stem....
While I agree with uniface that the long piece is probably an exhausted knife, it was utilized as a drill at that point. In your pic you can see that the tip is missing, I base that opinion on pieces that I have in my collection and finds from yesterday at a dig in my area...

OP
OP
Lindsey

Lindsey

Jul 12, 2009
Northeast Texas
The pink one is not quite an inch, it's actually the same size as a quarter. I should've put a quarter in the picture for size reference but didn't think about it until it was too late.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread