Anybody try The new Lithium ion or lithium polymer that are just coming out?

Chips

Jun 1, 2012
Wellington
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 Ltd, GTAx1000 (Coil Died), AT-Pro (died), Tesoro Sand Shark,Ctx3030, Whites V3i.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey good luck with the LiPo's.. Be interesting to see how they go..
I like the idea of greater life in the field!!

I am also a member of our local R/C model airplane club and the E/F boys there (sorry the guys that use electric motors in the model planes) have pretty much left LiPo's for "LiFe" batteries.
I hear LiFe's are more forgiving. But then those boys tend to favor dump charging their cells out on the field, which may not really be the agreed process in any book haha. Oh and they dont have to charge LiFe's in a sturdy metal box.

As for me I just bought some NiMh 2.4 Amp AA cells from a hobby store for $1:52 US each. I will try them out on my detector. If they dont work them I will just use them for R/C :)

Redeye

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Lancaster NY
Detector(s) used
whites vision w/ i upgrade
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I installed the Li-ion batteries in whites v3i bat pack and they work great! I hunted for seven hours and batteries never dropped below 11v with the tx boost on. In gonna mod the rechargable pack as well and it will only cost me a battery=$26. Here are a few pics. Ill have a video up soon as it finishes loading on youtube.
Pictures by Redeye44 - Photobucket

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Okie,

The RNB batteries you use in your DFX have an internal pc board that shuts down the battery once the voltage gets below a certain voltage. This is to protect the batteries from premature failure. Li Ion batteries do not do well and can permanently fail if the voltage drops too low. As such, many quality batteries using more than one cell have a special pc board that limits the current as well as shuts down on low voltage. The current limit is way above what is needed to run the detector but low enough to avoid fires in the event of a component failure.

So, the voltage shutdown at about 10V is normal and is the result of this protection device. BTW, the RNB battery pack has 3 batteries in it. When you charge the battery, the special pc board also protects each battery from overcharging.

Reg

Reg

Aug 10, 2007
Pueblo, CO
Detector(s) used
White's TDI, TDI SL, GMT, GM 4, MXT, Tesoro LST, Lobo, Bandido, Vaquero, Sidewinder, Fisher GB 2, GB SE, F75 LTD Camo, Minelab SD 2200, XT18000, Discovery Goldtrax, Cointrax, and too many others
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank,

My field of work was initially industrial electronics but later the job expanded to all aspects of the industrial electrical field. I worked at it for 40+ years and during that time I went to college and got a BS degree in Electrical Engineering Technology from CSU Pueblo.

My experience with Li Ion rechargeable batteries goes back several years when I started using them in my PI metal detectors. So, I have been both using them and experimenting with them for maybe 6 to 8 years now.

You mentioned primary batteries and even in a primary battery there are 3.6 or 3.7v primary cells. BTW, for those of you who are not familiar with the term, primary batteries are designed to be used and discarded. They are not designed to be recharged.

Reg

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Reg, I was a union electrician for 2 years then went to U of Md. I worked for one of the top ten corps. for 32 years. I must admit that I worked in high voltage and control circuits with a little bit of K and Cu band work. My battery knowledge is strictly from personal experimentation and technical readings. The battery field is evolving so fast it is hard to keep up with. Frank

Attachments

• hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    hand print-2_edited-5.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 143

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread