Upvote 0

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Fistfulladirt said:
I'm just curious. I make offers all the time, at least 10 X face, I am purely a collector. So far, no bites. I just wonder if they are hoarding, or maybe think I'm trying to take them. ffd
I got a 1952 or was it a 3 Ben from a tellers tray for face value with 2 clads earlier this week, and have gotten many %40's and a few %90's same way from teller's trays.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Bought 3 silver Dollars last week 10x face. Don't happen very often. but I have asked lot's of time when thaey tell me what they scooped up. They always say "Oh no I'm saving them". LOL

Mojo

golden silver

Silver Member
Oct 22, 2007
Hampton Roads, VA.
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter sharp shooter 2, minelab sovereign xs 2a pro
Hey Mojo, How did you bring it up that you wanted to buy the dollars. Did you see them in the tray or what? I never thought to ask if they have any silver dollars that they want to sell.

Golden Silver

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
golden silver said:
Hey Mojo, How did you bring it up that you wanted to buy the dollars. Did you see them in the tray or what? I never thought to ask if they have any silver dollars that they want to sell.

Golden Silver

Young teller dude. He needed the cash. Met him at McD's after work. He works at one of my dump banks and we talk on a regular basis.

I would have to say that not a week goes buy when either a teller has silver in her tray that she is saving for someone else or tells me a story of his or her recent silver score. I haven't been able to pry the coins away from them even at 10x face I guess they just don't trust walk in's.

Mojo

dunc

Apr 7, 2009
copperopolis ca.
No matter what i offer they say "well if you're offering me that much then they must be worth more". Of course this is after they ask me for an offer.

jim4silver

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2008
dunc said:
No matter what i offer they say "well if you're offering me that much then they must be worth more". Of course this is after they ask me for an offer.

Dunc,

I think a better negotiation technique is this instance would be instead of making an offer, ask them what they want for them.

I have never bought any coins from a teller, but in this type of situation where they might not have any idea of what they are worth or think you are going to lowball them, you can get a feel where they are at by having them bring up a number first.

They may be willing to sell for less than you think, and since they brought up the number they shouldn't feel like you ripped them off.

Jim

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
i am almost at my year mark for hunting and in that time i have only had one teller to sell silver to me. i have found that if a teller is interested in hunting themselves most of them hold onto it. that is why i never use the word silver when i am talking with a teller, even if they bring it up, because if they do they already know. i never educate a teller either, even if they are wrong. there is one teller in one of my supply banks that thinks quarters from 65-70 contain silver. i save them all for her and cash them out with her at face. anyway it is my thought that i have enough competition on the outside and i don't need anymore on the inside

LemonThrower

Jun 23, 2008
good advice.

have never had a teller sell silver to me, but i have had 2 introduce me to customers who wanted to sell their collections.

i just tell everyone my son and i are coin collectors and we like to look through the coins for old ones. which is true.

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
silvercop said:
i am almost at my year mark for hunting and in that time i have only had one teller to sell silver to me. i have found that if a teller is interested in hunting themselves most of them hold onto it. that is why i never use the word silver when i am talking with a teller, even if they bring it up, because if they do they already know. i never educate a teller either, even if they are wrong. there is one teller in one of my supply banks that thinks quarters from 65-70 contain silver. i save them all for her and cash them out with her at face. anyway it is my thought that i have enough competition on the outside and i don't need anymore on the inside

well said............and very good advice

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread