Anyone else getting halves marked Lombardo?

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy must have marked tons of halves. I think Yonico (in NYC) and Rich Hartford (in CT. i think) have mentioned getting these recently. I also get them pretty steadily here in NYC. Anyone else? Here is what they look like.

Lombardo.jpg

HH

Nick

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive seen other people posting about these coins...never saw a pic of them..wow..i guess ya cant miss them

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
I get them on longIsland all the time. I think there comeing from massapequa ny . one of my local pick up banks asked me if my name was mr lombardo. They said that my 6 boxes were in. I said I only orderd 2, but i would take them all. The teller said no, mr lombardo will be in to get them later. This guy must have alot of free time to waste on signing his name.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
treeslayer said:
I get them on longIsland all the time. I think there comeing from massapequa ny . one of my local pick up banks asked me if my name was mr lombardo. They said that my 6 boxes were in. I said I only orderd 2, but i would take them all. The teller said no, mr lombardo will be in to get them later. This guy must have alot of free time to waste on signing his name.
http://www.classmates.com/directory/public/memberprofile/list.htm?regId=154790371

wonder if this is him

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
Defacing a coin like that is no better than graffiti tagging. And that's a crime. This should be as well.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All this talk about a crime and graffiti and defacing and slapping.....big deal, so the dude writes his name on coins.......and? ::) :dontknow: :icon_scratch: ::) ::) I don't see the problem.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A lot of people are out of work.......with nothing better to do. If I was unemployed, besides looking for work, I'd be crh'ing in my spare time. I'm sure I would not be wasting time marking coin.

silver62

Feb 1, 2011
AVE MARIA, FL
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Blisstool
>:(
I've seen these in Ohio Too.
I guess for the guy who is just in it for the spot price no problem but for the kid trying to collect a set, it say alot !!!!
HH
TOM

yonico

Dec 25, 2010
New York City
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CardsNCoins said:
This guy must have marked tons of halves. I think Yonico (in NYC) and Rich Hartford (in CT. i think) have mentioned getting these recently. I also get them pretty steadily here in NYC. Anyone else? Here is what they look like.

Lombardo.jpg

HH

Nick

this guy has WAY too much free time on his hands..
i'd understand marking a coin with a dot (i do not agree with it, but i do understand why people do that) but he writes his whole long last name on it. doesn't he ever get tired?

i live in brooklyn, NY and i get so many of his marked coins! his name is too long so he has to write it in like a U / L shape on the obverse.. >:(very annoying.. ???

by the way, i'm starting to see more and more of the "I LUV JANET" halves here lately.. anyone else getting them?

SeaninNH

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2010
New Hampshire USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
treeslayer said:

You need to tell the teller to suggest that he stop writing his name on the coins.

Syrys

Oct 2, 2010
Wow, 'Lombardo' has far too much time on his hands. He must have written that long name on hundreds of coins... The most interesting marked coins I have found so far are several that have "Sticky Rice" written on them :dontknow:

JT10

Oct 29, 2010
The Mitten State
by the way, i'm starting to see more and more of the "I LUV JANET" halves here lately.. anyone else getting them?
[/quote]

I was on Long Island over Christmas and did 2 boxes while I was out there. I don't recall any Lombardo halves, but I did get a few of the "I LUV JANET"

As an aside, I was dumping yesterday and the bank teller asked me if I was marking them. She told me that one of their security people noticed some marked halves and that it was illegal as it was defacing currency. (I had actually marked some, but kept it limited to halves that were already marked by others.)

So, FYI. Some banks don't like it if you mark them.

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
Seems stupid and unnecessary to mark them at all. A name, a dot, whatever. Even if you don't want it, maybe some kid collects them. It's also U.S. currency and is illegal to deface.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jlr1076 said:
Seems stupid and unnecessary to mark them at all. A name, a dot, whatever. Even if you don't want it, maybe some kid collects them. It's also U.S. currency and is illegal to deface.

Sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely necessary to mark them so I know where they're going and when I get them back. It helps me track them. I date them so it's not an issue. I don't mark every coin. I only mark beat up ones that PCGS would never touch and have no numismatic value. The markings can always be cleaned off so who cares. It doesn't effect their ability to be used. They are not U.S. currency, they are U.S. coins. U.S. currency is paper money.

If you talk about the deface coins issue, then why is it legal to melt silver U.S. quarters, dimes, halves, & dollars?

ronbo22

Oct 31, 2008
Florida
It is only illegal to deface coins and currency if the reason for the alteration is to defraud. Read the little notices on all stretched penny machines.

dpy52081

Feb 16, 2011
Long Island, NY
I have gotten a lot of Lombardo coins as well, on Long Island at a chase bank near Roosevelt Field. Made the mistake of taking $200 in halves once that were re-wrapped in fed rolls (I was brand new at the time). There was at least one coin in every roll marked Lombardo.

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
Why do you need to know where they're going? How would that change anything even if you did get them back? Seems incredibly selfish to me. You know kids collect these coins right?

It also gives a bad name to CRHers and collectors too. Might want to rethink your actions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely necessary to mark them so I know where they're going and when I get them back. It helps me track them. I date them so it's not an issue. I don't mark every coin. I only mark beat up ones that PCGS would never touch and have no numismatic value. The markings can always be cleaned off so who cares. It doesn't effect their ability to be used. They are not U.S. currency, they are U.S. coins. U.S. currency is paper money.

If you talk about the deface coins issue, then why is it legal to melt silver U.S. quarters, dimes, halves, & dollars?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread