Anyone else getting halves marked Lombardo?

CardsNCoins

Bronze Member
Nov 17, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This guy must have marked tons of halves. I think Yonico (in NYC) and Rich Hartford (in CT. i think) have mentioned getting these recently. I also get them pretty steadily here in NYC. Anyone else? Here is what they look like.

Lombardo.jpg

HH

Nick

Upvote 0

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jlr1076 said:
Why do you need to know where they're going? How would that change anything even if you did get them back? Seems incredibly selfish to me. You know kids collect these coins right?

It also gives a bad name to CRHers and collectors too. Might want to rethink your actions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but you're wrong. It is absolutely necessary to mark them so I know where they're going and when I get them back. It helps me track them. I date them so it's not an issue. I don't mark every coin. I only mark beat up ones that PCGS would never touch and have no numismatic value. The markings can always be cleaned off so who cares. It doesn't effect their ability to be used. They are not U.S. currency, they are U.S. coins. U.S. currency is paper money.

If you talk about the deface coins issue, then why is it legal to melt silver U.S. quarters, dimes, halves, & dollars?

I'm guessing you're really new to this and perhaps new to coin collecting.

First - I only mark ones that are beat up and damaged condition that so that PCGS would never grade them. They have no collector value.

Second - If the coins are so beat up, you can still remove the ink if you did it right.. so what does it matter whether it's marked or not? If you want a beat up coin to not have ink on it, then remove it. It's still gonna be a beat up coin.

Third - Half dollars are not that rare.. if kids want them, they can go to the bank like the rest of us and ask for some. That's how I figured out on my own how to get them. They'll learn sooner or later that they're only worth face value if they're all beat up.

Fourth - I have my methods. I want to CRH in a way where I don't get my dumps back. So far this system has been working for me. Why mess up a good thing? What does it matter whether some other CRH gets my dumps. I've gotten other people's dumps. SFW.

Fifth - I just think you're bitter that you got a skunk box with a bunch of marked coins in them. You would not be complaining if you got keepers in the box with marked coins.

Sixth - Similar analogy. If I was doing massive amounts of coins a day (which I'm not), I'm gonna lower the amount I order simply because I want to be nice to the other CRHers out there? Yeah right.. The other CRHers out there would be thinking the opposite.. how to get more keepers than me. Some people here have more funds to do CRH than others. I don't care.. that's their money. They can do whatever they want with it. It's their perogative. Do they give CRHers a bad name by doing massive loads? No.. If I had more funds and time, I would be doing the exact same thing. Why so bitter? Maybe one day, you'll get a dream box along with some marked coins and will chill out a bit.

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
[mod]Terms of use Violation Removed

FORUM GUIDELINES
All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

http://www.treasurenet.com/terms/ We reserve the right to delete or modify any post, avatar or image, at any time, and for any reason. We reserve the right to limit any users' access to any feature, including the ability to search, post, browse, upload avatars, etc.. We reserve the right to ban any user, and/or delete any user account (including all posts) at any time, for any reason. Bans are not subject to member review, approval, protest, or appeal.[/mod]

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jlr1076 said:
Who's bitter? You sound like a petulant child.

All I'm saying is that marking coins brings more attention to coin roll hunting. Banks will wonder who's marking coins, other folks will wonder why people are doing so, etc. I think for the good of this hobby, you'd want to remain as inconspicuous as possible.

Whatever, obviously you're locked into your foolish ways. Glad to know you're on the opposite side of the country from me.

Let's not resort to calling eachother names.. You would be violating policies here. I was stating that you're bitter because you stated that I was "selfish" because I marked some coins and said I was ruining it for kids who collect halves. I've stated all the facts that are contrary to your belief and back up the fact what I was doing is not wrong. Now you're using that it brings more attention to the hobby.

Seventh - Banks don't care whether some coins are marked or not. All the coins I dump are in rolls. They just put them into sealed bags that get sent to sorting facilities. There, they get opened and put into a hopper and get counted. Then they get dumped with other coins of the same denomination, re-rolled, put into boxes, and stacked into pallets. The banks I dump at don't even see any coins that are marked. If they did why would they care? You get bills that have people's writing on them. So what?

I don't even mark every coin. Just the junk beat up ones. I've seen ones where someone marked all of them by using a marker through the edges. I think if there was a poll here, the majority of people here wouldn't care if the coins were marked as long as they got keepers in the box. I say that you must be new to this hobby since people who have been doing this for a long time recognize that other CRHers mark their coins. It's all part of the game. There will always be marked coins in this hobby and it won't go away anytime soon. People here are just discussing the marked coins they see in their area and perhaps identify the CRHer. They're not against it as you are. HH

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
Haha! Exactly.

And who cares how I new I am to the hobby. I still think marking coins is a bad practice that brings unwanted attention to a hobby where being invisible is better in the long run.

------

I like to spraypaint my initials on buildings, walls and fences......that way, I can track all the places where I've been!!
- Grizz

jcole8

Jan 19, 2011
hmm, how does marking them help you track ? do you mark a certain number and count if you get them back ? or see if others post about your specific mark ? or do you just mark so its easier to toss to the side as clad?

also a marked coin does not really bother me it turns over into buying another roll or box just like the rest of the clad... right ?

we are all friends here guys!
-j

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jlr1076 said:
Haha! Exactly.

And who cares how I new I am to the hobby. I still think marking coins is a bad practice that brings unwanted attention to a hobby where being invisible is better in the long run.

------

I like to spraypaint my initials on buildings, walls and fences......that way, I can track all the places where I've been!!
- Grizz

Doesn't ordering a couple boxes of halves draw attention from the tellers more than a marked coin itself? Wouldn't tellers wonder why this guy is ordering a bunch of halves since most merchants don't use them? Hmmmm

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
I disagree completely. You can always explain ordering boxes as something else if you don't want to reveal what you're doing. Marking coins just brings unwanted attention.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
jlr1076 said:
I disagree completely. You can always explain ordering boxes as something else if you don't want to reveal what you're doing. Marking coins just brings unwanted attention.

Why would you lie about it? I don't.. The tellers know that I find collectible ones in there. If you lie about it.. you can get yourself into futher unnecessary problems. Go back and read about the member here who had his Suntrust account frozen because someone there deemed it suspicious. I'm not saying he lied because I don't know what he did to cause the manager there to deem it suspicious (maybe the manager doesn't like him, I don't know). All I'm saying is just be upfront about it and just by ordering them you will draw attention to it by the tellers. Every place I've ordered halves from, ALL 100% of them have asked me why I'm ordering them. Ok so you don't like marked halves but the reasons that you're putting out for people to not mark them don't hold water. You'll learn to get used to them if you've gone through enough boxes.

HH

jlr1076

Nov 17, 2010
I said "if" you don't want to reveal what you're doing. Maybe you do. Some people don't. But marking coins brings unwanted attention to this hobby.

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
If you don't like lombardo your going to absolutely hate me! I really don't have much free time, I'm an electric company lineman/splicer and besides home have propertys in honolulu and the high sierra mountains that I have to maintain. But that is of no matter! If I get a few extra moments, out comes my home made graver and before you know it whatever coin I have handy gets a name,date, place or event scratched in it. older quarters and newer nickles have the most flat fields so they get most of my attention. Right now I'm still working on nice deep well formed letters and numbers, but in time I'd like to try more advanced stuff like animals, structures ect. so don't sweat poor lombardo because Really, marking a coin with felt marker is, pardone the pun, small change stuff. ink will be worn off in short order , the stuff i do is there to stay. but lets be positive, when is the last time anyone has seen a scratched,engraved or punched coin in a roll that is readable and reasonable well done. Most likely never. and if by chance you did find one perhaps you would be more amused than offended.

i

becky21b

Jul 12, 2010
Santa Cruz, Ca
That seems alittle silly to me, if I got those all the time I would just clean em off(if its as easy as the guys says it is), so your
un-doing HIS work...

treeslayer

Apr 9, 2010
This is just a hobby, and it should be fun. I personally think marking coins is a waste of time, but its not my time to worry about. The only marks I look for are numbers like 1970 and lower. But weather you mark or not, good luck and happy hunting to you all.

jaystuw

Greenie
Nov 2, 2009
NHBandit, Thanks for your kind words of support! I must say that I loved the article you added with the post. well worth reading a few times over (in fact I made it one of my favorites) the idea of transforming a symbol of labor into a product of labor particular appeals to me and pretty much sum's up what i'd like to do. for a visual example of what i'm talking about, go to the pics of hobo nickles on the 2nd page of your article, the one with the guy wearing the pince-nez glasses and fedora, that one coin perfectly illustrates the level of skill I dream of achieving. but alas we are looking at the work of a incredible gifted artist .arguably one of the best original hobo nickles ever carved. Way beyond my skill or artistic level. but i can still dream and of course never give up trying!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions