anyone else hunt in the rain?

mrmackin

Aug 1, 2012
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the ground is very moist (you said it rained yesterday), and it's still raining but not pouring, it's a border line call. The times that I have hunted, with conditions like you are reporting, I defiantly found more than I would in drought conditions. The flip side is that if the ground is not dry enough to be a bit crumbly, you and all your gear will be covered in mud and muck.>:( A couple of weeks ago my wife and I were hunting a site and it started to drizzle (it had rained steadily the day before) the ground was moist but you still felt like you were digging dirt, but after about a 30-45 minutes of drizzle the ground turned to mud. We pushed on and after 2 hours we were covered in mud, shoes were caked, legs and arms streaked with muck. Fortunately, I had towels in the truck, we used them to wipe ourselves a little and to throw over our seats for the ride home (Towlie says "Don't forget to bring a towel!":laughing7:). The clean up consisted of cleaning boots, clothes had to be hosed down then put into the washer, our finds were caked more than usual, the truck seats, floor mats, and pedals had to be wiped down, and our detectors had to be cleaned up. The mud had also plugged up the speaker port on my Garrett Pro Pointer and it has not sounded right since.:-\

So, yes it can be done, but unless I knew that the site was going to be plowed under the next day, and I was sure it had great finds waiting for me to unearth, I would give the ground at least 24 hours to dry out, IMHO.:icon_thumright:

Last edited:

smoldrn

Tenderfoot
Jul 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do, but then again, I'm hunting the beach & the surf, so I'll be wet anyway. At least there's hardly any tourists out in the rain.

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have done it numerous times in a light rain. I put a raincoat on, boots and cover the control box with a plastic bag. As stated before, everything will be covered with mud. But being the only one out with no kids bothering you is well worth it.

olekyground

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Hardyville, KY
Detector(s) used
garrett A.T. gold

Other detectors: fisher F2/ Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found deeper targets in rainy conditions. However, it has bee raining here for 2 days as well and I went. Because of the weather change I am now sick. Didnt really consider that so just a heads up pal. good luck!

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your machine is water proof go for it, if not then be ready to buy another machine

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have I mentioned the AT Pro does rain!

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used my Ace 350 in the rain by placing a clear plastic bag over the console, tape it tightly to the shaft with several wraps of electrical tape. This does NOT make it waterproof but rather water resistant. Be careful seting the unit down and careful when hunting heavily wooded areas as twigs or vines can catch the plastice and tear a hole allowing water to seep in rendering your detector as scrap. OH, AND PREPARE TO GET VERY DIRTY!

russ

Jul 30, 2012
Detector(s) used
fieldmaster fx 55 c scope cs 4pi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
wet detecting

I think most answers have been covered by everyone mate, lots of good advice, all I can add is, if you feel the urge to go then go for it, just prepare well, keep everything watertight ,get some good wellies and oilskins and you should be fine, at the end of the day, its all good experience to be gained ,who knows? you may have a good session and could decide to go in the rain more regular.Just go careful and enjoy it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread