cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Looking for my first detector. I want to get started before winter. Any suggestions?
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all!
I'm interested in getting involved in treasure hunting. I don't have a detector yet and I would like some honest opinions about where to buy and what to buy in the $200 range. I live in NW Indiana and would welcome any advice!

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
With 200 bucks i would buy a used machine instead of a new one.You can most likely get a better model in that price range than if you went for a new one.Just make sure you dont have damaged goods before laying your money down.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cmewrite said:
Hello all!
I'm interested in getting involved in treasure hunting. I don't have a detector yet and I would like some honest opinions about where to buy and what to buy in the $200 range. I live in NW Indiana and would welcome any advice!

That's a very fine question. I am sure a expert will chime in soon.

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Looking for my first detector. I want to get started before winter. Any suggestions?
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys...I've done some reading and I'm getting excited to start. I just want to not buy beyond knowledge. If I end up with reasonable luck I would upgrade according to my experience.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
So, what treasure to you think you might find? What made you think of buying a metal detector?

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coins and jewelry...anything else would be a bonus!

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember seeing people searching at the beach when I was a kid. I've always wanted to try it and I decided to do it.

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to reinvest my finds back into the hobby if I really enjoy it.

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not yet. I need to buy the right entry level detector first.

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes...if I can get a detector within my entry price range.

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm heading out to work now. I'll check tomorrow for any suggestions. Thanks for chatting with me.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
cmewrite said:
Not yet. I need to buy the right entry level detector first.

Here is what's going to happen. You buy a entry level detector. You may find out you love detecting and wish you didn't buy some piece of crap entry level machine. Or you buy a entry level machine and dig all kinds of crap because of lack of experience and because it's a entry level machine and wish you didn't spend a hundred or two on it. So either way your going to try to sell it somewhere or store it in your closet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not too promising

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can come up with another $150 you can pick up a Tesoro Deleon... It's in our used classifieds..... http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-related-stuff-sale/310913-2-detectors-sale.html

For $200 your not going to find anything waterproof worth much.... Water hunting is a whole different ball game from land, especially if your talking about salt water...... If you can save a little more money you can step up to a whole better range of used detectors ..... Something to remember also is if you invest in a good used detector, your not out your money, you can always sell it down the road for close to what you paid for it if you take care of it......You buy a cheap detector its not worth much 3 years down the road......

Good luck....................:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
C

cmewrite

Greenie
Sep 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the input! I'll keep it in mind. I would hate to become discouraged and waste time and money. Are there brands and features I should keep in mind? I don't want to confuse myself with something too technical that a novice would have trouble with.

Dynamo76

Aug 31, 2012
Pittsburgh
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi newbie,

Just started hunting as well. Did some research, wanted an affordable machine as well since I only get to a beach once a year. Bought a new Bounty Hunter Quicksilver for $125 at Dicks. Also wanted to wait for the treasures roll in to upgrade.
This machine has been able to find a gold ring plus coins and the usual trash.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread