Anyone else think a "High-Crime rate" area would yeild good CRHing finds?

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
Upvote 0

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, possibly. But in my closest real high-crime area (SE DC), I would probably get robbed before I enter my car.:laughing7:

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The last time I went to a bank in the "not so nice" part of town I got a few 40% halves and a 1917 Merc dime from some CWR.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sagittarius98, South East Dee Cee isn't that bad...I've thought about hitting up Oxen Hill or Seat Pleasant, wearing a bullet proof vest of course.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Sagittarius98, South East Dee Cee isn't that bad...I've thought about hitting up Oxen Hill or Seat Pleasant, wearing a bullet proof vest of course.

Seat Pleasant and Oxon Hill are not in DC, but in MD. With the comment I made earlier, I was exaggerating a little. Parts of SE are okay, some not so okay. If you do it during the day and park next to the bank you should be fine. Obviously, Capitol Hill is good, but it might not fit the criteria of high-crime. Anacostia is the worst.

The areas around a bad area may be better, as they may have richer people in them, and more likely that their collections were stolen.

Last edited:
S

stefen

The odds of uncovering a shiv or knife, a gun or bullets, or even used needles would be greater that in a blue-collor neighborhood.

Dropped coins would probably be similar to any other community.

Unless you are a member of the 'High Crime' community, best to stay away or you might become a part of another statistic victom.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually I got lost in Berry Farm when I was 16 and trying to get to a concert at Nations, that wasn't fun.
I drive through DC 5 days a week for work and know the areas where I can roll down my windows and the areas where I should lock my doors. But you are correct, if you park at the bank and don't bother anyone, they won't bother you.
I'm a pretty big guy with sleeves and a huge beard so I don't think anyone would mess with me anyway.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh and the scarriest place I've ever been and didn't know it was a bad part of town was when I stopped at a White Castle in Newark, NJ. I figured it out once the lady in the drive through did a double take of me and the fact that they had bullet proof glass in the lobby and a turn style in the drive through :tongue3:

slyguy

Jun 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I worked at a gas station in HS, and a kid i went to school with came in and paid for 2 cartons of Cigs with a bag full of Morgan silver dollars. The guy i was working with and I kept a couple of them cuz we thought they were cool (it was about 12 years ago), and the rest went back to the bank.. We both agreed he stole them from someone. I still have one of them to this day, I kick myself now realizing i could be sitting on almost 65 of these things.

minkybodl

Aug 19, 2011
I think you would find that the risks far out weigh any benefits from CRH in the high crime areas. Just because they are poor doesn't mean they are stupid, if they did steal a collection they would try to pawn it or get as much as they could for anything that looked valuable. When you are dealing with people with nothing to live for, you better be ready to die or to give up everything you have. No silver coins are worth dieing for IMO.

Bigheed

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its possible but you put yourself in harms way, sticking out like a sore thumb, and its still just a needle in a haystack "odds game" like box hunting. Don't go to early in the morning or to late in the afternoon :-)

ihittheskislopes

Jun 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live in one of the most high crime areas in the country, we have been the murder capital a few times in the last ten years. I dont think its any better or worse for CRHing then most places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread