Anyone ever Dredge a Corner like This (For those who responded "LOOK" New Pic)

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• Dredge hole.jpg
    Dredge hole.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 966

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
gold bug pro,garret,whites,tesoro,bounty-hunter,,.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone ever Dredge a Corner like This

looks like a lightning bolt . if you take the crook out ,straight line on the left side away from the road you can see the gravel bar .that's where the paystreak would be in a flood .straight in line with the river flow.

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Strickman..
I can see what your saying, I'm thinking maybe some small flood gold but would you think that the heavy gold would move out of the main channel?

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

in a large flood ,definitely. hard to get the real picture from a pic. but I would check it . is there any exposed bedrock in that section ? if so snipe it .

strickman

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2008
Villa Rica georgia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

might be a good place to try out that kick azz trommel.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

Hey Jog
Both of the inside corners of the Z shape where the water slows and the gold has a chance to drop out. That and in the middle of those 2 pts/ looks great.

Hefty

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Definitely will be using the trommel and the MD along with the 4" dredge. If I have enough time when I'm there I plan on trying to basically take that whole Z shape down to bedrock. Just not sure how long that could take.

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010

Thats what i would do. You have such easy access to that claim. Wish mine was that easy.
Good Luck.

Hefty

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I suppose it it pretty handy. Probable don't want to sneeze to hard while driving by. The dredge might hit the river by itself. :laughing9:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hard to tell from a pic,but view that at high water,sample straight line down the middle of those curves first

Gravel Hog

Dec 11, 2010
N. Cal - Born & Raised
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Sweet turn Jog, need to get in there and try some different spots as the gold could have took multiple paths.
It would help if you already know the size of the gold that is in that section of river when looking for its path(s).

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I worked a spot like that years ago that actually had three major pay streaks

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have yet to put a dredge in here but have been told that there is a lot of overburden on this river. The best part about this spot is that it is dead center between two ridges. It's a narrow pinch point witch means the bedrock may not be all that deep.

nuggy

Aug 22, 2010
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, had; Minelab Eureka, Bounty Hunter, Garrett, Fisher and Whites.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hi Jog, if it hasn't been done recently, the first place I would look is where the river strikes the bank just as it turns, then again at the severe bend. The heavy stuff is sometimes plastered up the bank quite high, and driven into any exposed bedrock, which is often exposed by the power of the water striking at this point.
Gold specially the chunky stuff tends to travel in straight lines, mostly in the center of the deepest part of the channel where the force of flowing water is the strongest. It doesn't change direction easily, so with a bit of momentum happening it will climb up a rock slope, even above the normal flow height.
A very similar action could be happening just downstream from this point, where I see what looks like a double bay type of shape. One or both of these may be be suction eddies, where swirling high velocity water forms a centrifuge to process travelling gravel for you. Can't be sure from photo but it looks like it could be happening. Again this can result in gold being pushed quite high up the bank. Dredging these eddies is usually better than elsewhere in the river as it is basically concentrates.
Looks like you've got some fun lined up for your summer, good luck, Nuggy

CGC Miner

Nov 18, 2010
High Rockies
Detector(s) used
GB2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Interesting, I would guess that the highest concentration of flood/flour gold would be just before the sharpest point of the Z where the river widens. But this also looks like one of the easiest spots to dredge on the claim and is near the road....likely worked before?
Following the straight line of the river during high water over the peninsula...is that lighter colored band section river gravel, tailings, bedrock?
The first thing I think about when looking at this picture is; why is that abrupt Z/shift in river course preset? Usually these types of re directions and sharp turns are the result of irregular bedrock or fault lines.....that can prove to be excellent gold traps.
Hmm

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone ever Dredge a Corner like This (For those who responded "LOOK)

I found this pic of the same corner from 1994 and thought everyone who has responded might like to see the difference in the river. Very interesting looking at this and where a lot of you said you would start. Good job...

Attachments

• Burnt out 1994.jpg
    Burnt out 1994.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 639
  • burnt out.jpg
    burnt out.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 648

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone ever Dredge a Corner like This (For those who responded "LOOK" New Pic)

hey jog in yor pics im seeing a line paralell to the river up higher on the hill you have part of it marked,is it a road or bench deposit?

OP
OP
jog

jog

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2008
Tillamook Oregon
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT / GMT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Anyone ever Dredge a Corner like This (For those who responded "LOOK" New Pic)

There is a road in the bottom left of the first pic, second pic there is a little bit of a bench just to the top of the creek.

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions