1.3 MB · Views: 82
Upvote 0
OP
OP
HillBilly244

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Squirrels maybe? :dontknow:

I highly doubt that, this site is covered by water the majority of the year. I've heard of beans and different things being found on ancient sites but I'm not ruling anything out.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had some beans last night at.... a Holiday Inn :)

bowwinkles

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where you were digging was it by chance a small mound brownish green. I have seen such and it was un digested plant seeds. :icon_thumleft:

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, beans and corn both. On a 15th century site near Clyde Ohio. If they are carbonized they survive just like charcoal (because they are). The beans looked like small dried navy or kidney beans. Yours look more like squash or sunflower seeds, also possibilities. Is there evidence of occupation at your site, pottery, fire cracked rock, or a plowed out hearth. If all of the above are absent and the seeds aren't carbonized, then you've dug out a field voles winter food Stache.

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have not.
But it's certainly an interesting topic.

[The beans were in a clay pot sealed with pine tar and were determined by radio carbon dating to be over 1,500 years old, yet some still germinated! The beans were simply called "New Mexico Cave Beans" after the discovery of the half dozen or so beans found in a cave once inhabited by Native American peoples. ]

Anasazi beans- Ellen's Kitchen.

OP
OP
HillBilly244

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Yes, beans and corn both. On a 15th century site near Clyde Ohio. If they are carbonized they survive just like charcoal (because they are). The beans looked like small dried navy or kidney beans. Yours look more like squash or sunflower seeds, also possibilities. Is there evidence of occupation at your site, pottery, fire cracked rock, or a plowed out hearth. If all of the above are absent and the seeds aren't carbonized, then you've dug out a field voles winter food Stache.

There is evidence that this site had been settled paleo to woodland era. We have found pottery, points, stones, pipes etc... they were at the same level as most of the artifacts.

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Probably left from animal PooP!

On a side note...50 years ago my dad would entertain us kids by saying
"Beans beans, The musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
Let's have beans for every meal."

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a side note...50 years ago my dad would entertain us kids by saying
"Beans beans, The musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
Let's have beans for every meal."

The version I grew up with was,

"Pork and beans are good for the heart.
The more you eat , the more you fart."

PaleIO

Apr 1, 2020
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dug a handful of four corners potatoes one winter and had no clue what i had. after some research and growing them i discovered they were called four corners potatoes and had most likely been growing annually at the site for over 1000yrs. I was able to identify the plant the next summer once it started to bloom and determined it had sent roots into the dry overhang we had been digging. They are extremely resilient having survived dust bowl and hard winters. Definitely plant a few and see what happens. Growing the plant ultimately helped me ID the spuds and gave me an idea what to look for in nature. They may or may not germinate but you won't know until you try.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Isle 5... all the way down... left hand side.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Actually, at least around here, the last line is "so eat more beans with every meal".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread