20210129_105502.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread has aired out enough that I can reopen it now and add a photo of some 15'th century corn cobs from 33sa93, a few miles NE of Clyde Ohio. They are carbonized, or they wouldn't have survived. The indian cobs were seven rows and tiny compred to todays corn. I don't have a photo of the beans.
Ensign15thcentcorn.jpg

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
No beans, lots of carbonized nut shells and seeds from Indiana. If anyone digs, and you find organic/charcoal rich soil, toss a shovel full in a bucket of water and mix it gently with your hand. A lot of small stuff floats up. (If stuff doesn't float, let it sit and some of the organic stuff will settle on top of the heavier clay/sand/dirt.)

From the caribbean I have lots of gourd and coconut shells, they are the most common organic materials in middens.

I've also got a mayan pot with a couple of inches of dried gunk inside. Usually chocolate (cacao) seeds.

OP
OP
HillBilly244

HillBilly244

May 4, 2013
Looks like Persimmon seeds. As mentioned previously, most likely a poop deposit, racoon would be my guess.

I think you're right, they do look like persimmon seeds. They are old though, I haven't seen a persimmon trees around here either.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In SW OK doing digs in fire pits at Plains Village farmer sites we would find hackberry seeds and sand plum pits. If you saw a large group of sand plums someplace that was an indicator there could be an old village site in that area.

kentucky Quinn

Jul 27, 2013
Eastern KY
I find a lot of acorns buried in my overhangs ,,,,think the squirrels are to blame. Find some really deep though. Also find lots of turtle shells, maybe they used as soup bowls, or maybe they just liked eating turtle meat

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I find a lot of acorns buried in my overhangs ,,,,think the squirrels are to blame. Find some really deep though. Also find lots of turtle shells, maybe they used as soup bowls, or maybe they just liked eating turtle meat

Depending on the type of turtle, if the conditions are cold enough they very well might have just kept turtles live until they needed some meat. I've been in lots of caves where it's probably cold enough for a decent sized turtle to go into brumation (reptile hibernation) where they could probably be stashed for weeks if not months. (In China people bind turtles so they can't move or keep them in baskets out of water.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread