Anyone ever use this style caplight for night detecting?

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
I bought this LED caplight from someone on Ebay and it came DOA. I sent it back and he tells me it works fine. I get the same light back and it came on twice and never came on again. I ask him how he wants to resolve this problem, and he sends me a new one with a complimentary clip on LED. I had originally purchased it to give to my hunting buddy who sometimes hunts the beaches at night and has a hard time telling what's in the scoop. I gave it to him today and was getting ready to throw the other one out. I had nothing to lose so I opened it up and resoldered every soldered point and got it working. I tried it out in a dark room and it works great. Anyone use one of these in the field?
HH, Mike in NJ

Attachments

• caplight.jpg
    caplight.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 226

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't, but they're a good idea... I'll have to pick one up on my next outing!

Bran <><

OP
OP
Mike95inNJ

Mike95inNJ

Bronze Member
Nov 2, 2006
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Troy Shadow X5, Minelab Musketeer Advantage
godisnum1 said:
I haven't, but they're a good idea... I'll have to pick one up on my next outing!

Bran <><
Around $4 on ebay. Nice little light. It says 100,000+ hours of burn time.
Take care, Mike

T

TreasurdiggrNY

I got this one as a gift, it tilts down if you need that and has 4 different settings. You wear it like a headband and the light sits on your forehead, very comfortable.
1. 2 white light spot.
2. 2 white light flood
3. 2 red light flood
4. 4 light combo white flood and spot.
Very handy for night work.
Glenn

Attachments

• hdlite.jpg
    hdlite.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 212

longsocks

Oct 17, 2005
Wisconsin -south of milwaukee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 --- FISHER F - 70 Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i got one of those cap LED lights that clip on the bill of the hat .. I got mine from Dicks sportinggoods chain store..9.95 brand name was Orion, mine works great ... Walmart sells that also buy local if you can save the S&H I've used mine for fishing at night .. only thing is bright lights in summer time at night attract bugs LOL ;D

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
If you use a cap-light like that, I'd be sure to only turn it on when you're specifically going to look at something. For just walking and swinging, better to let your eyes get adjusted to the moonlight. Reason is, if you use a light ALL the time, your eyes will simply become adjusted to the lightbeam, and pretty soon, you won't be able to see ANYTHING anywhere else around you. Only in cases of total blackout (like zero-moon and in thick tree cover, or scuttling under a building, etc...) do I use a light. Otherwise, I only turn on a light to look at the dates on my coins :)

syko

Oct 20, 2007
Pasadena, Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
mastereagle22 said:
I started out with one of those and they work pretty good.

I am pretty hard-core about night detecting so this is the one I bought and I love it!!!!

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000R86QSK?smid=AS0K3MKEU5H24&tag=yahoo-tools-mp-20&linkCode=asn

I have both the one with 6 leds and the one led kind.

The one from amazon is exactly the same thing I have from Target, it's called the RiverRock headlamp.
Takes 3 AA batteries and supposedly rated at 85 lumens. I paid $25 when I bought it last year, they might still sell
it but if you see one that has a Cree led, get that. Cree leds are better and more companies are using them.
Coleman being one and walmart has a big selection now of good led flashlights (not cpf forum user usual standards), but
so much better than what average joe looks for(like me,partially,cause I can't afford multiple $100 flashlights) :D

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what about glow sticks on the stem our on the side of the loop. about the brim lite where a pirates patch :thumbsup:

nightwolf

Jul 8, 2008
Bureau County, Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Nifty, never thought about a cap light.
I went the cheap route, bought a rechargeable halogen flashlight, and a couple pieces of velcro strips. I velcro the light to the top of battery compartment on my Ace, using it as a headlight more or less, that way I can pop it right off when I go for a dig if i need it. Tripping over those darn invisible branches can be a real sob ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread