Metal Detecting in Japan

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT/White's Prizm 5
I will be in Japan for the next 3 years or so and am curious as to the laws concerning metal detectors there. Do any of you know what they are or know where to find them? I think there could be some really interesting stuff in Japan and I don't think it's a very big hobby so there may be a lot of good areas that haven't been touched before.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
A friend of mine was stationed in the Marines, in Japan. He saw another fellow who detected all the time, unbothered. Of course, he was just on tourist beaches, and other such innocuous places. So it may be like the USA: As long as you're discreet, and stay away from obvious historic landmark type stuff.........

A way you can maybe get more info, is to check dealers websites. Fisher, Whites, Minelab, etc... have dealer listings all over the world. If they list dealers in Japan, then that would seem to me that people are metal detecting there :)

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
We used to have a guy named Dave in Japan that hunted there, I dont recall him mentioning any sort of problems but I do recall him posting some really neat finds. I dont think you will have any problems and dont forget to post your finds for us to gawk at,HH...Shoot

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
You may metal detect in Japan. There are some catches as all ways:
the first is respect if you are asking yourself should I be detecting here don't
second: I know "anything" found by any "method" including "Eye Balling" must be turned into the "Police" and after a certain amount of time if unclaimed you may claim it.

Amended:

However, before anyone runs to the nearest beach to get rich, one should consider the fact that the Japanese law requires the finder of any valuables, including cash, to report the find to the police who then takes it into custody. If no one claims the item within six months it becomes the finder’s property. According to a spokesman for the Okinawa Prefectural Police Department, failing to do so may result in criminal charges of lost article embezzlement to be filed against the finder in the court, and a hefty fine and even a possible jail term. from: http://www.japanupdate.com/?id=3349

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Another thing to remember the beaches have some of the worst materialization I ran across. Gave several of my detectors fits including a whites XLT. I I had to do it again I would have a PI unit or a Minelab excal.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
La Beep said:
However, before anyone runs to the nearest beach to get rich, one should consider the fact that the Japanese law requires the finder of any valuables, including cash, to report the find to the police who then takes it into custody. If no one claims the item within six months it becomes the finder’s property

I can just imagine the local Japanese police near the beach saying "Aww, geez, here comes that metal detector guy again with another pail of coins/jewelry that we have to catalogue and store." :icon_sunny:

Jay

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Saturna said:
La Beep said:
However, before anyone runs to the nearest beach to get rich, one should consider the fact that the Japanese law requires the finder of any valuables, including cash, to report the find to the police who then takes it into custody. If no one claims the item within six months it becomes the finder’s property

I can just imagine the local Japanese police near the beach saying "Aww, geez, here comes that metal detector guy again with another pail of coins/jewelry that we have to catalogue and store." :icon_sunny:

Jay

But they will. They are real anal about there laws. However this works in your favor by one if it not illegal it is legal and two they will give it back at the end of 6 months if nobody claims it. Now the down side it somebody goes to the police station and reports a ring lost and you find it the police will give it back to the owner for you. How Nice of them.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
La Beep said:
Saturna said:
La Beep said:

Jay

But they will. They are real anal about there laws. However this works in your favor by one if it not illegal it is legal and two they will give it back at the end of 6 months if nobody claims it. Now the down side it somebody goes to the police station and reports a ring lost and you find it the police will give it back to the owner for you. How Nice of them.

I live in Osaka Japan and recently started detecting on beaches and parks near my home. I contacted an old timer who has been detecting near Tokyo for many years. He told me that the law is clear enough about things found on the ground-they must be turned in to the police. But there is enough ambiguity about stuff dug out of the dirt to allow him to work fairly unhindered.
My only personal experience was this: While hunting on Suma beach, and finding more that $30 in clad Yen I was approached by a police officer. I am a foreigner. He asked me if I was the same guy who was detecting at that beach last year and had brought the found items to the nearby police office. After assuring him that I was not and it was my first time here he promptly left and wished me luck.

I was always curious of his intentions. But after reading Saturna`s post above, I feel sure he was just relieved that I "might not" be dropping off a bag of sandy coins on his desks and he could continue his computer solitaire unhindered!
Great Forum Guys! Thanks!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
oledavidboy, Yes, I can't imagine "turning in" a sandy apron full of coins that "belong" to such & such nation, saying: "am I allowed to keep them?" type of talk - would only raise flags, not get answers. Once you do that, you merely put detecting (and "finding national treasures") on the radar. If no one cares, and these things would rot for the next 5000 years, just put them on your mantle place and leave it at that!

OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
I am officially stationed in Japan now (Yokosuka) and I haven't run into any people metal detecting yet. I plan on shipping my detector there next month so I can give it a go. Thanks for all the advice and I will let you know how it turns out.

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey cillosis,
One of the advantages (one of the FEW advantages) of detecting in Japan:
You may have already considered this but when finding modern clad in the U.S., about the best you can do is a quarter. Takes maybe four or more just to buy a beer. But in Japan, "The Coin Nation", Those $5 go hyaku en coins add up fast and pay for your gas or beverages! The $1 hyaku en, and the 50 cent go ju ens add up nicely as well. Happy hunting and good luck! I am in Osaka. Keep us posted on your finds!
dave

OP
OP
cillosis

cillosis

Nov 3, 2005
Norfolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Yeah I thought about that. I've had a friend drop a hundred yen coin on the ground and was like "oh whatever" but I reminded him that if that had been a dollar bill he would have dove on top of it and claimed it as his. It's basically the same thing plus or minus the yen-to-dollar value.

yabkichi

Apr 18, 2009
I am stationed at Yokota AB on west edge of Tokyo and live off-base. Started hunting (off base only) with White's Prizm IV in the past couple weeks. Have searched my backyard, 2 local parks, and a gravel parking lot. So far, I have dug about 35 targets to include 140 yen (100 yen coin + 10 yen coins (4x)) which is about $1.44. Other items include plug tabs, bottle caps, screws, nails, toy car, and various unidentifiable scrap metal.

My Japanese is very poor, so when people start asking me questions, I use the headphones as an excuse that I cannot hear. Instead I just point to my pile of treasure, and they seem happy because that was probably their question. While hunting the gravel parking lot, a man parked and started speaking to me. Not sure, but I think he was the owner of the lot because he started pulling weeds. I showed him what I was finding and eventually, he communicated that he wanted to try the detector. I set it so that it would beep on everything and let him pass over the items I already found. We thanked each other, he got back into his car and drove away.

In my very limited experience, I am finding the ground to be full of rocks which makes digging targets very difficult. The coins were found just below the surface under cherry blossom trees which Japanese picnic under when the trees blossom (just last week). I plan to hunt areas that I have seen festivals with food booths. Since I am a beginner, I need instant gratification to make sure that I am using the detector correctly and practice my digging techniques.

I have lived in Japan for a total of 5 years and have never seen anybody using a metal detector. Never seen one being sold in the heart of their electronics districts which tells me there is no competition.

Radu

Greenie
Feb 3, 2009
I live in Misawa Japan and have looked into the metal detecting laws here. There aren't any. Metal detecting is not very popular here so no laws concerning it have been written...yet. The laws that we do have to obey are basically... if someone asks you to leave you have to. Ask permission to hunt on private land and it is illegal to remove artifacts from national parks. National parks include beaches and forest preserves. That being said, no one is going to bother you at the beach or in a park as long as you are not creating trouble.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I know this is an old post, but I just had to laugh at a law brought up, back when the topic appeared, about Japanese law saying all items must be turned in to the police. It just so happens, that SO TOO does everywhere in the United States too. Of course, there's value minimums (ie.: items over $100, or $250, or $500, or whatever value, depending on your specific state's lost & found laws). But that doesn't appear to be stopping anyone from detecting here, and assembling a nice collection of jewelry and stuff :)

I wonder ....... just wonder ........ if a Japanese tourist were contemplating coming to the USA, and inquired ahead whether detecting was allowed in the USA, if he were to read these lost & found laws. And then reading on, he reads of fines, confiscations, and jail time for failing to follow such laws. Would he be convinced that detecting in the USA is just too risky? ::)

Coins4Cheese

Jun 30, 2009
Japan
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Garret Ace 250
I live in Japan also. I don't MD on the bases though (Don't want my friends eyeballing me :laughing7: ) I MD at the beach areas. Its really nice that the most common coin that I find is the 100 yen coin ($1) Also, in the summer time, 500 yen coins ($5) are EVERYWHERE! I've only found one 1 yen (1 cent) coin so far, which is good.

Nekentros

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please do your research before you metal detect in Japan...

Here are some resources to help you out in doing so:

Of particular importance:

CHAPTER IV Buried Cultural Property (Article 57 - Article 68)

CHAPTER V Historic Sites, Places of Scenic Beauty and/or Natural Monuments

CHAPTER VII Penal Provisions
(Criminal Penalties)

http://www.wipo.int/tk/en/laws/pdf/japan_cultural.pdf

And here is some more info:

Of interest is the breakdown of types of Cultural Properties:

http://www.bunka.go.jp/bunkazai/pamphlet/pdf/pamphlet_en_03_ver03.pdf

Last edited:

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used

Please do your research before you metal detect in Japan...

Here are some resources to help you out in doing so:

Of particular importance:

CHAPTER IV Buried Cultural Property (Article 57 - Article 68)

CHAPTER V Historic Sites, Places of Scenic Beauty and/or Natural Monuments

CHAPTER VII Penal Provisions
(Criminal Penalties)

http://www.wipo.int/tk/en/laws/pdf/japan_cultural.pdf

And here is some more info:

Of interest is the breakdown of types of Cultural Properties:

http://www.bunka.go.jp/bunkazai/pamphlet/pdf/pamphlet_en_03_ver03.pdf

Nekentros, so too could similar wording be found at any place in the USA too. Lost & found laws (ie.: "turn stuff in"), and cultural heritage wording (even down to city levels, if you asked long enough, and hard enough, I suppose). Yet as you see, detecting goes on here all the time. :icon_scratch:

Everything you've cited is riddled with words "cultural..." and "historic..." and "antiquities..." and so forth. Not unlike any countries public places (the USA included, and England, and so forth, when it comes to certain public lands). But if someone is hunting the tourist beaches (where it's predominantly jewelry hunting, not "antiquities"), then presto, no problem.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fine words Tom so why in various countries where metal detecting now has a total ban detecting was allowed on the beaches with a few exceptions, things like historic sites...could be an ancient port now gone, or a site of scientific interest or is just a nesting ground or place where turtles bury their eggs. The "don't worry about that crew" came in and in the end the authorities decided to give up and just impose a total ban.

O well I'm off for a week to sit on a sunny beach where detecting is allowed (with permit).

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread